Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2010, 07:59 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,843,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
^^ to be fair though. the coolest people and most down to earth people I've ever had a conversation with came from New Yorkers. There are times where I'd rather deal with New Yorkers than Southerners. At least NYers don't beat around the bush and they tell you how they feel right then and there unlike Southerners who are nice to you in your face but talk about you when you are gone.
all new yorkers are not like that, just like all southerners are not like that. besides, brutal honesty is overrated. sometimes it's better to just be nice lol

and some southerners may talk behind your back, but believe me when i tell you that they'll cook you the meal of a lifetime to make up for it. (i think you've forgotten that being up in d.c. for so long )

Old 05-30-2010, 04:19 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
all new yorkers are not like that, just like all southerners are not like that. besides, brutal honesty is overrated. sometimes it's better to just be nice lol

and some southerners may talk behind your back, but believe me when i tell you that they'll cook you the meal of a lifetime to make up for it. (i think you've forgotten that being up in d.c. for so long )
I guess it's just a preference. I want you to tell me how you feel right then and there. Not trying to see how nice the person is all the time. Hell, I think the Southern Hospitality thing is overrated. Besides that's fake to me. I do understand the other side though.

Now about the cooking. DC isn't bad. Remember, this did use to be a Southern city and there lots of North and South Carolinians as well as Virginians.

Old 05-30-2010, 05:56 PM

Quote:
I guess it's just a preference. I want you to tell me how you feel right then and there. Not trying to see how nice the person is all the time. Hell, I think the Southern Hospitality thing is overrated. Besides that's fake to me. I do understand the other side though.
well i've found that with true southerners aren't going to be hospitable unless they genuinely want to. it's not just an act

but like i said, everybody isn't like that. you have a lot of honest, shoot-from-the-hip folks down south. i'm guessing you didn't grow up around a lot of "big mamas"? lol

Quote:
Now about the cooking. DC isn't bad. Remember, this did use to be a Southern city and there lots of North and South Carolinians as well as Virginians.
hmm, well point me in the direction of the people from carolina. virginia???...mehhh

Old 05-30-2010, 07:13 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
well i've found that with true southerners aren't going to be hospitable unless they genuinely want to. it's not just an act

but like i said, everybody isn't like that. you have a lot of honest, shoot-from-the-hip folks down south. i'm guessing you didn't grow up around a lot of "big mamas"? lol
Nah, I didn't and I'm honestly glad I didn't either. It's not that they aren't hospitable when they genuinely want to be. But it's the fact that the South predicates itself on being friendly all the time and that they throw the Southern Hospitality thing in your face with the good honest decent God fearing folks label crap. As if that doesn't exist in other places in America.

Quote:
hmm, well point me in the direction of the people from carolina. virginia???...mehhh
Yes, I can take you down to Lawrenceville, Danville, Emporia, Richmond, Farmsville, etc. area in Southern and Central Virginia where you can get some good down home Southern cooking.

Old 05-30-2010, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Nah, I didn't and I'm honestly glad I didn't either. It's not that they aren't hospitable when they genuinely want to be.
lol, ay what you tryna say? big mama knows it all

Quote:
But it's the fact that the South predicates itself on being friendly all the time and that they throw the Southern Hospitality thing in your face with the good honest decent God fearing folks label crap. As if that doesn't exist in other places in America.
sounds fair. the same way the northeast predicates itself as being the most well-rounded, diverse, open-minded region of the world

Quote:
Yes, I can take you down to Lawrenceville, Danville, Emporia, Richmond, Farmsville, etc. area in Southern and Central Virginia where you can get some good down home Southern cooking.
i guess

Old 07-22-2010, 01:34 AM
X72

14 posts, read 25,710 times
I went to NYC and I liked it very much. I know one thing though that I found NYC was sorely lacking in which I found not so good if I plan to move there one day, I hope. I doesn't have any good large bookstores. I haven't seen anything like a 4-floor Borders or Barnes and Noble, and there is one in Chicago near the Watertower. I wish there was one like that in New York. I just went to Manhattan though, maybe there is one but I missed it.

Old 07-22-2010, 02:13 AM

3,003 posts, read 6,089,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X72 View Post
I went to NYC and I liked it very much. I know one thing though that I found NYC was sorely lacking in which I found not so good if I plan to move there one day, I hope. I doesn't have any good large bookstores. I haven't seen anything like a 4-floor Borders or Barnes and Noble, and there is one in Chicago near the Watertower. I wish there was one like that in New York. I just went to Manhattan though, maybe there is one but I missed it.
ya theres plenty of barnes and nobles. Including a four story one, forgot what street though

Old 07-22-2010, 02:19 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
NYC pretty much does have it all, as far as city amenities go. I aspire at living in Manhattan. I made a goal for myself in 20 years, to get to Manhattan to live there or not live anywhere else in the Northeast. (I want to do it all by myself too- no helps from stocks, parents, spouse etc...)

Old 07-22-2010, 03:10 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,635,632 times
Barnes and Noble has a big one at Union Square.
There are some great independent book stores too which I prefer.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:17 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,549,608 times
I suppose if one took a widened view many things are possible as being unlikely to be in NYC. Like

Glaciers
Fjords
Canyons
Volcanoes (dormant, extinct, or active)
Pronghorn Antelope in the wild
Orange groves
Hutterites
Native speakers of Apache
Adobe houses
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City