Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2010, 10:03 PM

14,169 posts, read 22,579,875 times

Advertisements

Affordable homes.

Old 07-23-2010, 02:17 AM

5,490 posts, read 13,863,048 times
NYC doesnt have 99% of the rest of the world and what 99%of the rest of the world offers in it. Yes, NYC is great, but it is technically 1% of the world or less geographically.

Even in the USA(Washington D.C, Chicago, Boston, San Francisco, Seattle, Los Angeles, San Diego, Portland Oregon, Houston Austin and Dallas Texas, Denver Colorado, Miami Florida, Atlanta Georgia, and other places too in the USA), there are places where there is lots to do and of course other places too.
I dont understand how someone can be that close minded. Is the OP serious with the thread topic question?
Of course there are things to do, culture, positive stimulation, entertainment, and things like that outside NYC.

Let me name one example:

Seattle Washington during this June-September had the Seattle International film festival, Seattle true independent film festival, an environmental festival, a jazz festival, Seattle artopia, Bumbershoot music festival, and Decibel music electronic festival and of course many other things to do here.
I am a native New Yorker, and have been enjoying my time in Seattle and think there is a lot to do here.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know many New Yorkers that are as enlightened enough as me to see how there are things to do elsewhere that are cultural, sophisticated, intellectual, worth somebody's time and arent so ignorant and close minded. We are the "true" New Yorkers and how a New Yorker should be.

You people that live in NYC and dont know anything outside NYC and that NYC is the only place with positive things and positive city things are kind of lame and are a shame to society and dont really know the world when they sadly think they do.
There are actually more native New Yorkers like me than the close minded/ignorant types.

I love New York City but dislike some of the delusional attitudes some people have there. Those kind of attitudes that Im personally surprised existed in the first place will make people from other places not like you and give NYC a bad name.

Last edited by *******; 07-23-2010 at 03:16 AM..

Old 07-23-2010, 03:06 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,449,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Isn't the Hudson technically a fjord?
Huh maybe.

21. The Hudson as Fjord - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation (http://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/25988.html - broken link)

Although something about "by this definition" makes me think it's debatable.

The post above mine makes some good points. I could try for other things that I'm thinking are unlikely to be in NYC, but might not be too far from me or that I or a relative have experienced.

Catholic hymns in the Osage language. (I've been to at least one Mass that had them)

A Mennonite-ran college. (I have relatives, a Catholic relative, who went to one because they thought it would be a better Christian environment than some Catholic colleges)

Freely roaming bison.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:19 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,693,957 times
i still cannot understand how a city full of immigrants and ppl from somewhere else in the u.s. gets seen as a city full of ppl that know nothing other than nyc on cd.

lol @ this kind of thinking. like nyc is a cut off from the rest of the world. like we have the berlin wall on east side, the nk border on the south side,the great wall of china on the west side and that wall they want to build on the u.s. border between the southern u.s. and mexico on the north side. come on.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:47 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,081,864 times
A soul.

Old 07-23-2010, 01:20 PM

eek: You are still proving my point how delusional some New Yorkers are about other places and the world in general

You dont want to admit it because you know Im right with my last post.

lol at youre kind of thinking.

Of course there are the ones that arent like that at all but my points was that there are some people that live/visit NYC and dont really know other places well.

Last edited by *******; 07-23-2010 at 01:29 PM..

Old 07-23-2010, 06:47 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,937,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
i still cannot understand how a city full of immigrants and ppl from somewhere else in the u.s. gets seen as a city full of ppl that know nothing other than nyc on cd
You have to be kidding................. NY'ers LOVE not knowing about other places in America. It's a badge of honor for many of you. However, claiming to know about the ways & actions of these places; and judging said places based on preconceived notions & biases is a NY pastime.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:35 PM

1,586 posts, read 2,133,638 times
In my experience, when you generalize about people, you are always wrong.

Old 07-25-2010, 12:38 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,693,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
In my experience, when you generalize about people, you are always wrong.
quoted for emphasis.

everybody i know is either from some place else, has family from another country, came from another state, visits other states regularly (like on vacation or they used to for the summer during their childhood, etc.) or has a desire to travel.

as for myself, i've been to several countries in europe and have visited almost every state in the u.s. and i've also lived in various regions.

i'm also into learning about various cultures...even took a yoruba class in school a few years ago.

my family is made up of ppl from the u.s., ppl from jamaica, belize, and the dominican republic, maryland, south carolina, jersey, nebraska and ny.

so yeah, generalizations about nyers not knowing anything outside of ny can go to hell.

lol @ ppl from a less global city (by far), a city with less immigrants, a city with less of a population than we have immigrants in ny, telling us that we don't know what things are like outside of ny.

do you know how many languages we hear just taking the train to work in the morning?

Old 07-25-2010, 03:08 AM

To eek:

The point many people are trying to make is that just because someone may live in New York City doesnt mean they know things about the world or things about NYC. I met plenty of narrow minded New Yorkers there and many of them think they know other places but they really dont. The point people were trying to make is that there are people that are like that in NYC. Nobody was saying everyone was like that there.

So you continue to make yourself seem like an ignorant fool. You also continue to be in denial. And you seem to be getting inappropriately defensive.

I dont understand how someone can live in a place like NYC and be so narrow minded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City