Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2010, 05:54 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,506,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Cann View Post
Question of the thread is what does NYC not have?
And it's natural beauty. No Mountains, limited Tree Cover. Generic Ocean views.

Every heard of Cities like Hong Kong? Manilla? Shanghai? Sau Paulo? Buenos Aires? All of those are legit cities, all of which have natural beauty. and Tokyo is gorgeous.

You can call the ocean and water generic and dirty all you want. It's there as a huge part of the view, it's natural, and I think it's beautiful. What other major US city sits on the ocean and combines a skyline that huge with the water like NYC does? You won't see views quite the same in too many places. I don't care about mountains in a city's view, they make it feel isolated to me. Why is your standard for natural beauty the decider here? And how can a city claim mountains far in the distance and beyond limits as part of their natural beauty, and NY can't claim it's surrounding area. If you zoom out far enough of any city you can see some impressive views.

Old 07-28-2010, 06:12 PM

10,138 posts, read 15,935,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missRoxyhart View Post
What other major US city sits on the ocean and combines a skyline that huge with the water like NYC does?
Miami & Honolulu. And yes, Miami does have quite an extensive skyline on the ocean front (not nearly as many buildings as New York City but it has a massive skyline on the Ocean). Just not as tall as New York City.

And since you said "Ocean" instead of just Waterfront, I wont bother bringing Chicago into this thread. (Which also isn't as massive of a skyline as New York City per say but one of the top 5 in the world still)

Miami from a very far distance:

I'm a skyscrapaholic, I take it seriously.

He was just stating his opinion though, I don't see anything wrong with that. He stated things that were clearly not in city limits. That is what this thread is about.

And before I get bashed (by some defensive homers), I'm not here to one up New York City with Miami, simply correcting a statement. Relax guys, not having a few things here and there does not make New York City any less of a great city that it already is. Some of you are coming off way to defensive at times.

Old 07-28-2010, 06:27 PM

244 posts, read 565,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny Scraper View Post
Miami & Honolulu. And yes, Miami does have quite an extensive skyline on the ocean front (not nearly as many buildings as New York City but it has a massive skyline on the Ocean). Just not as tall as New York City.

And since you said "Ocean" instead of just Waterfront, I wont bother bringing Chicago into this thread. (Which also isn't as massive of a skyline as New York City per say but one of the top 5 in the world still)

He was just stating his opinion though, I don't see anything wrong with that. He stated things that were clearly not in city limits. That is what this thread is about.

And before I get bashed (by some defensive homers), I'm not here to one up New York City with Miami, simply correcting a statement. Relax guys, not having a few things here and there does not make New York City any less of a great city that it already is. Some of you are coming off way to defensive at times.
That's cute and all, but this thread isn't about opinion.

It's about what New York City does and doesn't have. And New York City DOES have lots of nature in its city limits. FACT.

Next.

Old 07-28-2010, 06:33 PM

10,138 posts, read 15,935,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC90 View Post
That's cute and all, but this thread isn't about opinion.

It's about what New York City does and doesn't have. And New York City DOES have lots of nature in its city limits. FACT.

Next.
Kidcann said it doesn't have mountains in it's city limits. You're little defense was heart warming and all though.

Not having mountains in city limit is not a bad thing, but don't even try to play it off that his opinion is irrelevant for a thread asking about what the city does not have. This thread is solely derived off opinion, ask the original poster himself- as long as you prove your opinion with evidence.

Not having mountains in the city limits is fine, it's just one thing New York City does not have compared to the vast plethora of things that it does have, calm your self down. And I never said it didn't have nature, please point to where I said that.

FACT.

Next.

Last edited by DANNYY; 07-28-2010 at 07:05 PM..

Old 07-28-2010, 06:44 PM

648 posts, read 1,611,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Cann View Post
To the first bolded part- Yeah, I know that's why I posted it.

What did I disrespect? NYC's lack of natural beauty? It's not an opinion. It's a fact. No Mountains. lame Tree cover. Brown Rivers. And a nice view of Jersey. No Hills. No Lakes. No bluffs.

This thread isn't about where I'm from, it's about what NYC does not have. Don't get all salty and personal, weirdo.

And, you need to study up on geology man, and figure out what a Prairie is, because you are wrong.

And I go into a city all the time, to fish.

These are some of that 'Outdoor' things you can do in my little city. Of course, Minnecrapolis is like a podunk town compared to NYC, but I just don't see things like this from what I've seen of NYC. If there are please, prove it.
ALL of these pictures were taken within NYC city limits.

jag9889 Columbia University's "C ROCK", Harlem River, Spuyten Duyvil, Bronx NYC on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jag9889/2080314101/ - broken link)

Bedrock Geology of New York City: More than 600 m.y. of geologic history

REVIEW: Rockaway Beach (Queens) - Plans for Pups (PfP) (New York, NY) - Meetup.com

Photograph © philipmatarese Fort Tryon Park Garden | GardenVisit.com, the garden landscape guide

http://www.centralpark.com/photos/sh...h-central-park

Scenes from the Big Onion (http://rob.hilluva.com/newyork/index.html - broken link)
http://rob.hilluva.com/newyork/FortTryonPark.jpg (broken link)

Scenes from the Big Onion (http://rob.hilluva.com/newyork/index.html - broken link)
http://rob.hilluva.com/newyork/FortTryonPark2.jpg (broken link)

Old 07-28-2010, 06:57 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,506,827 times
Quote:

I said you can only see it in a few other places, actually Chicago was what I had in mind lol. I know that's his opinion, I was giving mine, I consider it natural beauty, even if I'm in the minority on that. I love the water, and skylines, so together is great for me lol.

Old 07-28-2010, 07:27 PM

9,096 posts, read 13,110,836 times
Quote:
Kidcann said it doesn't have mountains in it's city limits. You're little defense was heart warming and all though.

Not having mountains in city limit is not a bad thing, but don't even try to play it off that his opinion is irrelevant for a thread asking about what the city does not have. This thread is solely derived off opinion, ask the original poster himself- as long as you prove your opinion with evidence.

Not having mountains in the city limits is fine, it's just one thing New York City does not have compared to the vast plethora of things that it does have, calm your self down. And I never said it didn't have nature, please point to where I said that.

FACT.

Next.
Nope, he did not just say that New York has no mountains. I think we all know that. Thats not the point and who cares.

Kid Cann said New York City has NO NATURAL BEAUTY. And then he said New York has no mountains, limited tree cover, no rolling hills, and a generic ocean.

Like I said, New York City has no mountains. And I realize that not everyone thinks that the the large areas of water like the ocean, bays or the Long Island Sound are beautiful. But I grew up in Queens and Brooklyn. I KNOW FOR A FACT, that New York City has forests and hills --- in fact all five boroughs do, even Manhattan.

Old 07-28-2010, 07:48 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,449,485 times
I get the sense some feel this is meant as a rhetorical question and that actually naming things is rude. Although in fairness the ones I've named have mostly been inarguable and neutral things so rarely contradicted. (Canyons, glaciers, Mennonite colleges, freely roaming bison)

So I guess what needs to be given is a clearer sense of whether this is meant as a rhetorical question or a question where an answer is intended. Although it seems like if it's meant as a rhetorical question than any response is unnecessary. So I'll proceed with non-rhetorical for the time being.

NYC doesn't look to have the Samoan population that the Pacific Coast states, particularly California, have or at least not so far as I can tell.

A church that uses Norwegian in liturgy. (Apparently there's one in Minneapolis and one in Chicago, but that's it) For that matter NYC doesn't look to have any Norwegian Lutheran colleges either, but they do have some festivals.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:07 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,744,119 times
Close this thread. It is full of New Yorkers condradicting statements made by posters who are just trying to answer the OP's question. If every answer to the question is false in some way then there is no point to this thread.

Old 07-29-2010, 12:12 AM

7,053 posts, read 19,205,355 times
I think this thread has use if it lists things like Thomas R. has listed. Things that, for a fact, do not exist in NYC. They're things that most would think of as unusual, rare, weird, etc. and it's interesting to see where those things do exist. For example, a Norwegian liturgy. Random, right? But it's interesting to see that it exists in a couple of places in this country.

Things that are purely subjective, such as "NYC has no natural beauty" or "NYC has no culture" are entirely subjective, and I don't blame New Yorkers for trying to "refudiate" them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City