Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2010, 02:47 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,801,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cart24 View Post
Spend some time at the Red Hook Ball Fields and tell me that NYC doenst have good Mexican food.

Im not saying it can match Cali, Texas, Ari, etc...but its not that hard to find.
NYC probably has good Mexican here and there, the same way you can find good Italian food in Texas here and there.

Old 08-05-2010, 02:48 AM

1,214 posts, read 2,506,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
And Texas has authentic Mexicans in greater numbers from different parts of Mexico than NYC. It's ok, NYC has better Italian food than Texas.
How does Texas having more authentic Mexicans make it's Mexican food better or more "authentic" than NYC's. I mean first of all, "good" Mexican food is in opinion, I think Taco Bell is "good Mexican food", and second, if authentic food=good food, than how does it not count? If NYC has even just one authentic Mexican that makes authentic "good" Mexican food, it counts.

Your answer as to how you came to the brilliant deduction that "NYC doesn't have nearly as good Mexican food as Texas cities."? "Because it's NEW YORK. Simple as 1+1." ...Huh? So what is it, is it too northern, too cold, too urban, too wealthy, too diverse, too eastern for it's Mexican population and food to equal Texas'? Our Mexicans aren't as good as yours? Your argument doesn't make sense.

Old 08-05-2010, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
99% of NYC's Latino population consists of immigrants from Cuba, Dominican Republic, & Puerto Rico. You won't find many Mexicans on the East Coast or in the Deep South.
In certain parts.

Old 08-05-2010, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missRoxyhart View Post
How does Texas having more authentic Mexicans make it's Mexican food better or more "authentic" than NYC's. I mean first of all, "good" Mexican food is in opinion, I think Taco Bell is "good Mexican food", and second, if authentic food=good food, than how does it not count? If NYC has even just one authentic Mexican that makes authentic "good" Mexican food, it counts.

Your answer as to how you came to the brilliant deduction that "NYC doesn't have nearly as good Mexican food as Texas cities."? "Because it's NEW YORK. Simple as 1+1." ...Huh? So what is it, is it too northern, too cold, too urban, too wealthy, too diverse, too eastern for it's Mexican population and food to equal Texas'? Our Mexicans aren't as good as yours? Your argument doesn't make sense.
What's wrong with saying Texas has better Mexican food than NYC? I gave you guys credit and said NYC has better Italian food than Texas. Do you guys hate Italian food up there? Why on C-D is it Logical to say "NYC Italian food, is superior to other cities, and Italian food in other cities, are just not the same as what you can find in NYC", BUT, it's NOT logical to say "Texas has better Mexican food than NYC". Why? Get what I'm saying?

Old 08-05-2010, 03:01 AM

1,214 posts, read 2,506,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
What's wrong with saying Texas has better Mexican food than NYC? I gave you guys credit and said NYC has better Italian food than Texas. Do you guys hate Italian food up there? Why on C-D is it Logical to say "NYC Italian food, is superior to other cities", BUT, it's NOT logical to say "Texas has better Mexican food than NYC". Why?
I never said that. So what if someone said it, it doesn't make it true. I don't think it's logical at all. You could maybe say, NYC has a greater variety of Italian food than some places, not that it has the best, I don't doubt that there are places in Texas with Italian food just as good as New York's or better. Maybe not as diverse, but the same could be said of Mexican food in NYC.

And I do hate Italian food honestly.

Old 08-05-2010, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missRoxyhart View Post
I never said that. So what if someone said it, it doesn't make it true. I don't think it's logical at all. You could maybe say, NYC has a greater variety of Italian food than some places, not that it has the best, I don't doubt that there are places in Texas with Italian food just as good as New York's or better. Maybe not as diverse, but the same could be said of Mexican food in NYC.

And I do hate Italian food honestly.
Some people on C-D have that mentality. It's quite strange.

Old 08-05-2010, 05:08 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,447,954 times
You know who has "the best" XYZ food is going to be pretty subjective and hard to judge. It might be better to see if there is a regional variety of Mexican food that is not represented in NYC but can be found in a Southwestern city. Or to deal in terms of per-capita of Mexican food.

Likely some city has more Mexican restaurants per-capita than NYC because several cities are far more Mexican per-capita. It looks like in both percentage and raw number Los Angeles, California and San Antonio, Texas are more Mexican than NYC. So they might have more Mexican food per-capita or more variety or both. "Better" or "worse" is necessarily just going to devolve into a matter of taste.

Anyway California has a solid majority of Armenian, Burmese, Cantonese, and Oto-Manguen (Mexican indigenous people, Zapotec and Mixtec being two common forms) speakers in the US. That said the only restaurants I find named "Mixtec" or "Zapotec" are not actually the cuisine of those people.

Last edited by Thomas R.; 08-05-2010 at 05:24 AM..

Old 08-05-2010, 07:35 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,693,446 times
ppl that obviously either haven't been to ny in years or just haven't been to ny period commenting on the mexican "situation" in ny have no idea.

ppl basing things on stereotypes again. ny is always constantly changing. mexicans and central americans are significant here and have been for years, now. its not like other areas where you have a few and thats that. they are owning stuff and taking over areas. this is an understatement.

no, its not like some italian food in texas or italians in texas. visit ny and go to queens and see for yourself. take the 7 train.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
ppl that obviously either haven't been to ny in years or just haven't been to ny period commenting on the mexican "situation" in ny have no idea.

ppl basing things on stereotypes again. ny is always constantly changing. mexicans and central americans are significant here and have been for years, now. its not like other areas where you have a few and thats that. they are owning stuff and taking over areas. this is an understatement.

no, its not like some italian food in texas or italians in texas. visit ny and go to queens and see for yourself. take the 7 train.
I could say the same exact thing and say "Drive across South Texas, and see if 36th and whatever ave in NYC can compare as far as Mexicans and Mexican Cuisine goes." See what I'm saying? You really think NYC can compare as far as Mexican food? But not vice versa with Texas and Italian? Just give it up. NYC=Italian, Texas=Mexican.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:49 AM

And it's funny, the New Yorkers will question my knowledge on NYC's Mexican population and cuisine, but they equally haven't been to Texas to be the judge themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City