Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2010, 11:39 PM

9,096 posts, read 13,110,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I meant to do one about what cities in the world have that NYC likely doesn't seeing as the title doesn't specify. So

Ancient Roman ruins

T'ang Dynasty pagodas

Church buildings that predate the Protestant Reformation

A Zoroastrian fire temple

I'm not sure there's any Icelandic restaurant in NYC, not that Icelandic food sounds that good to me.
NYC does have one of these things you mentioned!

Here its a hint: its not a Zoroastrian fire temple! ROTF, where did you get that from!

Instead, New York City really has the "Church buildings that predate the Protestant Reformation". Its called the Cloisters, a musuem in Northern Manhattan which is made up of 4 different Medieval Abbeys. At least one of the abbeys dates back over a thousand years to the 800s.

No Icelandic food I am sorry to say.

Old 09-02-2010, 01:30 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,449,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Instead, New York City really has the "Church buildings that predate the Protestant Reformation". Its called the Cloisters, a musuem in Northern Manhattan which is made up of 4 different Medieval Abbeys. At least one of the abbeys dates back over a thousand years to the 800s.
They moved 4 Abbeys to Manhattan? Wow! I'll have to look that up.

Old 09-05-2010, 02:19 AM

746 posts, read 1,671,698 times
Calgary has mountains
Mountains means mountain biking, hiking, camping, exploring.
Mountains.
Gorgeous mountains..
We also have the stampede...positive or negative, however you think about it it's a big deal.

Old 09-05-2010, 02:51 AM

725 posts, read 1,503,227 times
drive-thru movies

Old 09-06-2010, 06:52 PM

11,327 posts, read 20,245,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
No, they are definately planted and not natural to the area.

I remember a pic Infamous92 posted of a shopping center on Long Island. They had planted the medians with beautiful, very tropical palms. The kind that won't grow North of say, Orlando.

It's expensive to do it, but it sure looks great for a couple of months.
Yes I remember that pic, it was a nice looking Palm but a tropical one. They'd save a ton of money to plant one that can survive year round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
I think it's safe to say that NYC has a lot of stuff going on.

Does NYC have palm trees? I know some cold weather climates plant trees in the summer (MPLS does I know, well in planters).. But Chicago puts Palms on its beaches... Does NYC do this?
Yes but I don't know why they don't use cold hardy palms. NYC isn't as cold as Chicago so it can support certain species year round. Many people are just catching onto the fact that Palms can stay year round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
according to infamous, yes. i haven't seen any but he's the NE palm expert, lol. apparently they are natural to the area and not something planted.

still, palms in cali, texas, lousiana, etc. >>>> _______.

must be real nice to walk outside and look at the palm trees.
Lol yes and I feel the same way as you, wish they were all over the place here.

Here's just one of the couple of species that can and does survive in NYC, it's native to the Himalayas which is a colder climate. It's called the Windmill Palm. Saw it outside a McDonald's in South Queens I was at one day so I took a picture:

This is what it grows into:

It'd be cool if they lined the streets with them, reminds me a little of the palms in LA that are everywhere. Sounds odd but NYC can be a little too hot for these Palm trees and can cause them to temporarily stop growing. I read that there's some in Central Park but I don't frequent there so idk.

Old 09-06-2010, 07:06 PM

11,327 posts, read 20,245,100 times
Mature Windmill Palms can supposedly handle -18°F

NYC has never gotten that cold. The all time record low at JFK Airport is -3°F which is surprisingly high for a "Northern city". To be fair other areas of the city have seen lower than JFK but not -18.

Prolonged cold (below freezing) isn't good for really any Palm though.

Old 09-13-2010, 05:31 PM

301 posts, read 637,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
First off I love NYC was a resident for a while and believe it to be the bar none the best city in the country, maybe the world (Like London as well) but it is also silly to think that NYC is perfect or has everything.

Chicago has both huge skyscrapers and many 5 star restaurants but NYC it is not. I find some NY posters myopic on here, moreso than in the real world, most don't even care enough about anything outside to even worry but a topic for another day
NYC doesnt have any equals it is better than London. London is just seen as the closest peer to NYC (London solidly #2). London is very cool though one of my top cities along with Paris. But on NYC's level it is not.

Old 09-13-2010, 06:50 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,065,692 times
i've always been fascinated with the new york city/london rivalry. The greatest city of the United States and the greatest of the United kingdom. On paper it seems like nyc is the more impressive city. Big Ben is great but NYC has the Empire state building. The london eye seems incredibly lame. The london bridge doesnt seem to be as impressive as the Brooklyn bridge, than the statue of liberty,msg,yankees etc

It would be cool to get some insight from people who have spent time in both

Old 09-13-2010, 06:55 PM

22,379 posts, read 38,678,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
i've always been fascinated with the new york city/london rivalry. The greatest city of the United States and the greatest of the United kingdom. On paper it seems like nyc is the more impressive city. Big Ben is great but NYC has the Empire state building. The london eye seems incredibly lame. The london bridge doesnt seem to be as impressive as the Brooklyn bridge, than the statue of liberty,msg,yankees etc

It would be cool to get some insight from people who have spent time in both

Both large and vibrant, London is older not a city of skyscrpers

I love both some similar and some different reasons

Old 09-15-2010, 04:18 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,272,598 times
Having lived in NYC for 19 out of 29 years (and 7 of that 10 difference being military), I can say most of the country have the following things that NYC does not:

1) Anywhere except Boston, San Fran, or high end LA area - cost of living that requires less than $50,000/yr just to "get by".

2) The ability to park your car (granted all "downtown" areas charge for parking even in smaller population cities like Savannah and Jacksonville) but in NYC, I can only pinpoint 2 spots to reliably park your car.

3) Guns. Legally. Sure in NYC there exists a gunshop or two but that's for like 8,000,000 people. I like being able to go buy a gun, or at least ammo (It should be obvious I'm in favor of the 2nd Ammendment).

4) Nature. I've been to the Bronx Zoo, Prospect Botanical Gardens, all over Central Park, Rockaway Beach, Van Cortlandt Park and Pelham Bay Park and, I've been to them all many many times. Don't let anyone short-sell the quality of these places except for this one fact, there are merely isolated enclaves of nature. In Savannah, a decent sized town, you drive out 20 minutes and you are in the swamps or forest.

Granted a few other cities share similar qualities but I can say this having been to all pof the following places: NYC, NY; Phoenix, AZ; Boston, MA; Memphis, TN; Seattle, WA; DFW, TX; Youngstown, OH; Philidelphia, PA; Chicago, IL; Savannah, GA; Jacksonville, FL; Orlando, FL; Carthage, MO; St. Louis, MO; Virginia Beach, VA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City