Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2010, 06:39 PM

96 posts, read 191,916 times

Advertisements

TO

nycricanpapi

What people and how many people out of Americas population move there and visit there everyday or how many of theme do you know are not new Yorkers to begin with.

I am just saying not to fight last summer when I was in Chicago I met over 50 people who moved there for all different kinds of jobs and lived all through the united states one person was even from new York state when i have traveled to alot of other cities i have noticed that there are almost more foreighners who barely speak english in i mean even in cities like seattle san fransisco has millions from all over the world when i saw alcatraz there was a couple from france who sat next to uss on the boat.

New york might be the number one most visted city in america or the world but i think saying it as the number one city is like saying visa is the best credit card company other cities now days have hundreds of things to offer that new york would never have and many things that over rank it in terms of best law firms best hostpitals all kinds of stuff.

So when you say it is number one city i think alot of people would have to say it is number one city for about maybe four big things compared to the rest of the nation one of theme would deffinitely be financial now we all agree on that.

I mean new York might have a beautiful downtown out of everything in other cities but that does not make up a real tourist city for about a hundred other things to do.

I have only been to new York twice and when I was there after to shows and walking down time square and seeing the glammer which I could have easily seen much more of in Vegas in my opinion it got old real old.

When I was in los angelas two years ago there is more to do out there where you would almost need to have a full year to take off to see everything which is more than I can seriously say for new York.

In if everybody wants to defend new York and think it is the city that rules thane go a head but I do think you have a huge amount of Americans that really disagree and probably people all over the world for that matter.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:53 PM

9,096 posts, read 13,110,836 times
Did some of you posters on the last few pages actually read the OP? Its not asking your opinion on New York City or New Yorkers. Its not asking whether you think NYC has a downtown to your liking or not.

Its supposed to be a thread about things that New York does not have. Instead its become an attack thread for trolls looking for rate-ups.

Tourist poster #1: New York City has no nature, its all concrete and buildings
LINative: NYC has about 50,000 acres of parkland, including a 9,000 acre National Wildlife Refugee.
Troll #1: You see! New Yorkers think they have more nature than Yellowstone or the Serengeti.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:54 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,163,635 times
nycricanpapa, New York clearly doesn't have everything as misguided New Yorkers made out. Where's grand Prix, Star Trek exhibit and Leornard Divinci exhibit in New York? What about the X games? What about a huge Zero Arts festival that are held in international cities? That tells you something. I'm bored. Heck, New York can't even get an olympic. There's nothing for us in New York City, sorry. I thoroughly visited the city last summer and visited all the neighborhoods in Manhattan and even went to Brooklyn to see its neighborhoods and its attractions. All New York City is good for is energy because it's fairly dense. As for broadway and parks, other cities have them as well.

As for amusement park, Coney Island is really not a full-scale amusement park. It's a boardwalk with some rollercoaster rides that many other beach locales have. San Jose has a bonafide amusement park, not just with all different types of rides, but a large Imax movie screens and other different theme attractions. How about waterslide theme park? San Jose also has Winchester Mystery house. Maybe San Jose beat the butt out of New York City single handedly.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:05 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,065,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by durf View Post
NYcricanpapa, I was in New York City last summer. Like I said, the city is overrated! I've been going there since 1978 and partied at Studio 54. What downtown? There's no downtown in New York. Coney Island's beach amusement park, hah. Santa Cruz, CA has that as well. Your so called "downtown" in Lower Manhattan by Soho, Tribeca and Grenwich Village/West Village is an insult to other cities with real downtowns and bonafide downtown scenes. The scene in Mahattan is neighborhoods scenes, not a downtown scene. Where's a museum, library, cityhall arena/stadium, major theaters, convention center and other civic and cultural buildings that make up a downtown? In Manhattan, it's all over the place, not downtown. Let's get real here, please! New York ain't all that. Who are you fooling?
The fact that you said new york lost its art scene to other boroughs. Shows that u have absolutely,positively,whole-heartedly have no idea what your talking about

Ny doesnt have a real downtown?????????????

Old 12-14-2010, 07:05 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,163,635 times
Rosebud17, New York City girls are not that beautiful since they don't care about their appearances, and I'm including the fashion models. They only look good when they do fashion shoots and go to some parties, but they're pretty lame on their own time. They only wear jeans and basically put no make up on. What a disappointment. Granted, there are some girls who are pretty and a model, but they're only in New York for a short then they go back to their hometown in Alabama and Oklahoma. The best place for beautiful women are in Dana Point near LA and Minneapolis, Minn. Oklahoma City and Kansas City have more beautiful women than New York per capita. How about central Valley women near Merced? They're hot and natural. LA also has more beautiful women than New York because they really care about their looks. The Same goes for Dallas and Birmingham, Ala. Let's face it, the local New Yorkers chics don't give a dink about their appearances at all unless they're from out of town and not staying for long. They're basically migratory or transients.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:07 PM

323 posts, read 1,422,066 times
NYC does not have the rolling fog that SF gets ... I don't think any other city gets as much spectacular fog ...

Old 12-14-2010, 07:13 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,311,298 times
real summer aka summers with no damn rain.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:15 PM

11,327 posts, read 20,245,100 times
Well what did you really expect? Some superhuman society Disney world with everything? Go see fine arts then take the subway to the top of a mountain and ski down into a beach with baby blue water and coconut palms?

This is what I'm talking about, NYC is a great city but did you expect it to be that drastically different from other American cities? It certainly is the furthest ahead but NYC is far from perfect and far from having everything.

This thread had legitimate questions, it's not about being "cocky", most of what people thought NYC didn't have actually had, that wasn't always the case though.

No need to try to get at NYC, that's so unnecessary. Instead of people really taking your post seriously they see it as just another one taking little shots at the big guy. And to me that's what it sounded like.

But idc, any other questions? Try to turn this thread back around because I can sense pages of nonsense waiting in the wings.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:18 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,458,941 times
weather is the only limitation

but then, there wouldn't be "winter" fashion

Old 12-14-2010, 07:18 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,065,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by durf;17005963[B
]nycricanpapa, New York clearly doesn't have everything as misguided New Yorkers made out. Where's grand Prix, Star Trek exhibit and Leornard Divinci exhibit in New York? What about the X games? [/b]

As for amusement park, Coney Island is really not a full-scale amusement park. It's a boardwalk with some rollercoaster rides that many other beach locales have. San Jose has a bonafide amusement park, not just with all different types of rides, but a large Imax movie screens and other different theme attractions. How about waterslide theme park? San Jose also has Winchester Mystery house. Maybe San Jose beat the butt out of New York City single handedly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by durf View Post
NYcricanpapa, I was in New York City last summer. Like I said, the city is overrated! I've been going there since 1978 .

What downtown? There's no downtown in New York. Your so called "downtown" in Lower Manhattan an insult to other cities with real downtowns

Where's a museum, library, cityhall arena/stadium, major theaters, convention center and other civic and cultural buildings that make up a downtown?
The trolls come out at night,the trolls come out at night...the trolls come out at night the trolls come out at niiiigght.

Llol the bolded is hilarious. Stop drinking that happy juice my man
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City