Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2010, 12:33 AM

96 posts, read 191,916 times

Advertisements

orlflausa

Oh that is kind of what I meant maybe like you said it is under a different name but it is still in Orlando or maybe a county right next to it I don’t know much about Florida because if they moved it within the last four years since I was there I have no idea or I was more or less not paying attention when we were in the rental car it would make since I was not driving all I know is it was very close and we stayed in Orlando. One thing I know is that my friends who went there stayed in Orlando and it was extremely close to theme they told me. Not to argue or fight I just thought it was and always has been in Orlando.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 12-16-2010, 12:58 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,910,966 times
Gotcha Rosebud!

Old 12-16-2010, 01:03 AM

767 posts, read 1,735,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
So do the honors and please tell me what other cities have that NYC does not have?
People who don't believe that rest of the world admire them as individuals due to the city they happen to live in.

Quote:
People are jealous of NYC that is why they must find something that is not comparable.
That's the new yorker's delusion, that everyone is jealous of people living in NYC. No. There are so many millions who don't live in NYC because they don't want to.

Quote:
I have travel to many cities out of USA and no city can compare to NYC.
Sure they can. This thread has given you a multitude of cities that compare with NYC in some way or another. You don't seem to have noticed, though, because you're too busy bickering with everyone and trying to convince them that NYC deserves their awe.

That's the tragedy of living in NYC is that it makes a person so blindly proud that all they do is argue that NYC is better than all other places in all other respects.

It's sad, really.

Old 12-16-2010, 01:19 AM

151 posts, read 299,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnative View Post
Sure they can. This thread has given you a multitude of cities that compare with NYC in some way or another. You don't seem to have noticed, though, because you're too busy bickering with everyone and trying to convince them that NYC deserves their awe..
Clearly you don't leave your house much. I've travelled the world and there clearly is no city in the United States that can compare to New York City when it comes to excellency. I know it's been said over and over but New York City's only true competition comes from London, Paris and Tokyo.

With that said - not everybody wants to live in the middle of all that action so it's prefectly fine to not want to live in the city. But anyone who thinks that any other city in the United States can stack up to NYC is a loon.

Old 12-16-2010, 01:21 AM

818 posts, read 1,379,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnative View Post
People who don't believe that rest of the world admire them as individuals due to the city they happen to live in.
I'm normally a very easy going and happy go lucky guy, but your constant Anti-NYC posts are going over the top lately. This is the third one straight by you with the same "New Yorkers are blinded by their city" mantra.

Not to sound superior but you live in SJ, San Jose I presume? You don't even live in the most relevant San Jose in the world. That honor goes to San Jose, Costa Rica. So you have no room to talk
Quote:
That's the new yorker's delusion, that everyone is jealous of people living in NYC. No. There are so many millions who don't live in NYC because they don't want to.
And San Josians have the delusion that they run the SF Bay, when in reality they're just the poor mans SF. Suburban immigrant refuge, those who cant afford to live the lavish lives of SF, NYC, CHI, DC end up in reject towns like SJ, LA, PHX

As far as I know, people are jealous of what they cant have. And guess what America, there can only be one NYC, it is the end all and be all. A city that's running 10% of the country's economy by GDP with less then 7% of the country's population. Not to mention your little tech companies in SJ suck it up to NYC when it comes to going global market trade with Wall Street.

SJ comes to NYC for that recognition that the world gives SJ, without NYC, your nothing. Keep playing that "but we have Google" card, see if your company is worth a penny if you didn't have stock holders. All thanks to NYC, you can thank us later.
Quote:
Sure they can. This thread has given you a multitude of cities that compare with NYC in some way or another. You don't seem to have noticed, though, because you're too busy bickering with everyone and trying to convince them that NYC deserves their awe.
Name one city that has a downtown comparable to NYC's? Name one city where more billionaires reside, where more celebrities party, where fashion is taken to the next level (except Milan and Paris), where even the A-List celebrities have a hard time getting dinner reservations to the most elite collection of restaurants in the world.

SJ? It doesn't come close, it cant even look SF in the eye without feeling shame.
Quote:
That's the tragedy of living in NYC is that it makes a person so blindly proud that all they do is argue that NYC is better than all other places in all other respects.

It's sad, really.
New Yorkers know the impact their city has to the world, which more than someone in say SJ can say about their city that lives in the shadows to a neighbor North by 55 miles.

Your entire state of CA is sippin' on NYC envy juice. I've spent time in CA more than should be legal in LA and all people there want to do is compare their city to NYC. Always asking "how do people in NYC dress, what do they eat??" Its a true story, LA is so obsessed with NYC that Hollywood has shot more films in NYC than even LA, the city where Hollywood is allegedly headquartered.

Hop of NYC's nuts and get your own damn identity that doesn't revolve around being "NYC and LA" like they make the dynamic duo. LA never has been nor ever will be on NYC's level. It takes LA the size of South Carolina to try to match NYC in population and it still comes 4.5 million short.

NYC doesn't care about you or what anyone else thinks of it, matter of truth is that your whole state spent its existence trying to level up to NYC to gain respect. With almost 40 million people all you have to offer is a $1.8 Trillion economy, NYC with 22 million (about half of CA) can match CA almost at $1.4 Trillion. Take your garbage elsewhere.

I try to be as humble as possible, but some of you overkill your point to paint us like we're soulless clowns. Get real...

Last edited by Infamous Past; 12-16-2010 at 01:33 AM..

Old 12-16-2010, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
ok rich girl.. if in n out ever expanded to nyc there'd be riots. if shake shack came to cali, nobody would give a sht lol
Riots? LOL. The only entity that causes riots is when NYC based tastemakers (um, I mean mags) like the NY Times "discover" restaurants, many in your home town of San Jose (or is it Oakland?) which then cause pandemonium.

NYC is the ultimate food city. What the hell is an in n' out. A glorified McDonalds. It is the poor mans Shake Shack (blander taste, cheaper, fatter).

Hope I didn't crush your delusions.

Old 12-16-2010, 01:34 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,449,485 times
I would like to think most people in NYC aren't like that or at least that a sizable minority of them are not like that. I do think there have been NYC posters that say if some people prefer other cities that's fine with them.

Going by emigration/immigration there certainly are people that leave NYC. Manhattan gets plenty of immigrants, but Florida and South Carolina seem to get more immigrants from Manhattan than to Manhattan. Some of the other boroughs look to be pretty strong losers in emigration/immigratio. People from Queens and the Bronx went to San Bernardino County more than people from San Bernardino moved to Queens or the Bronx, which is notable because San Bernardino is mostly a place people were leaving when Forbes did the map. Brooklyn looked more mix, but Staten Island mostly loses out on emigration/immigration to recession-plagued Las Vegas, Florida, and Southern California. Although it gains with Chicago, Hawaii, and the Bay Area.

Map: Where Americans Are Moving - Forbes.com

Old 12-16-2010, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libohove90 View Post
Downtown* Chicago...not the whole city

Downtown Chicago is certainly more livable and manageable than Manhattan.
Right. Tell that to the celebrities and moguls lining West 4th Street, CPW and 5th Avenue.

Old 12-16-2010, 01:40 AM

818 posts, read 1,379,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I would like to think most people in NYC aren't like that or at least that a sizable minority of them are not like that. I do think there have been NYC posters that say if some people prefer other cities that's fine with them.
I try to be as humble as possible about where I live and where others live. Some NYC haters do need a reality check, and I'm sorry if I have to be the one to deliver it.

That's fine to live somewhere else and be proud of it, but it is not ok to cut New York down and paint everyone there as soulless pricks. As a New Yorker, I am well aware of how significant my city is, NYC envy is a disease for those that want what they cant have.

Old 12-16-2010, 01:50 AM

96 posts, read 191,916 times
To

yankee

I really do not think anyone on here wants to waste there time trying to stack up to ncy or set examples of it to another city. I think what this thread has proven is nyc is only good for certain things and those things not everyone and I mean millions like we all have said are not into. In by today’s standards you cannot even come close to saying to new York city is top for excellence sorry never would happen now if this was 40 years ago then yeah but now no way on earth just even in the united states like you pointed out.

There are so many places now days you can go to and get much better service and for a much cheaper price and much better attitudes from people and yes without all of the chaos so to me sizing new York up as the top city for excellence is far from even thinking intelligent not just to you but anyone who would say that.

One thing is for sure right now new York is known for the best restaurants and food well according to tats test and food network here and there you see many restaurants now days in many different cities across the nation that look just as nice if not nicer and for alot less money a family of four can eat there.

In same goes for all of the shows they have there they might not be Broadway shows but they are just as good I know last summer when I was in san Francisco we saw a couple of shows and a symphony it was no different in my opinion then what you would get in new York.

you also have to remember every city is spread out differently in terms of space not as many people all kinds of things you need to take into consideration especially if you are traveling to somewhere in that by itself can cross over into what people think they may be getting in terms of excellence from a city for whether it is a restaurant or shows or anything out of the hundred other things we all have mentioned on here. So point being it does not make new York city the number one city for excellence even pushing it aside being called the number one city in America maybe for tourism right now but I think we are all going to have a laugh at that four or five years from now member the country is growing every minute.

Not as a negative thing but it think are society in no offence to anyone has kind of grown out of the whole new York is the hip and coolest place to be and live or travel to when there realistically is many other places that offer much more now days. But I think so many new Yorkers don’t want to here that but it is the truth we all watch the travel channel and food network we see all the time cities growing with things we would have never thought were there ten years ago this is a debate that will go on for centuries but it is win win loose loose on both sides because the truth remains cities now days have much more to offer in not just things to do better service better atmosphere all kinds of stuff not as crowded not as hot all kinds of stuff it does not have to be things to do or to have fun while your vacationing or living in a city I think everybody on here will agree that is luxury and out of every city now days that does not make new york number once city for excelence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City