Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2010, 11:44 AM

1,666 posts, read 2,827,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebud17 View Post
Thats fine you can call people who you think are bashing on new york lame and call uss what ever you want truth be told you are still going to wake up and stick up for a city that is pathetic by todays standards. It does not effect uss one bit we are just stating the obvious.

I think it is so sweet how all you new yorkers stick together to come at uss with insults when we are not your enemies besides admitting facts you dont want to here.
That's the NYC posters comeback when you exposed the city. Your either Jealous or misinformed. They think people on here have not seen the real NYC. They think we just go to all the tourist traps. They belittle every city in the USA for not being like NYC. Its called the NYC mentality..

The belief that New York is the center of the world and that nothing more than 2 hours outside of New York City is a part of America.

A misguided perception of non-New Yorkers and the belief that others are provincial because they don't live in NYC.

I like NYC and love visiting. I did and intern there back in 2007, I stayed there 4 months during that time. I'm there at least 4 times a year visiting my best friend. So I have experienced alot of NYC and to be honest I have never seen so many people that has absorbed this mentality, to the point that there self worth is based on the status of that city.

I'm considered the NYC troll on here by a few lol .

Old 12-16-2010, 11:48 AM

818 posts, read 1,380,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
NYC is not your city.. When you die you cant take it with you. Its just a place where you live..
So? You have a car and when you die you cant take it with you, does that mean its not your car? Weak argument, you must be from Atlanta.

I heard people from your city pride themselves for being the NYC of the South? Better check on your own ego first cup cake.
And yes, NYC is my city. I know you're in total envy, but like I said, people envy what they cant have. And for you that happens to be NYC. But you're cool with the NYC of the South right?

Old 12-16-2010, 12:01 PM

96 posts, read 191,960 times
To

infamous past

Once again I am not trying nor anyone on here is trying to compare to new York city it has gotten past that from yesterday late yesterday. No body cares like is said how many examples you guys set on here about new York city and what it has to offer I think more people than myself have made that clear I mean seriously get some more material I have even stopped mentioning myself what new York does not have to offer and never will have to offer in terms of yes luxury and fun even if you don't want to here it.

Oh wow film firms right ok that is a big winner when every tourist in America or around the world who wants to see the main source of Hollywood comes to los angelas. Lets now think why ok Warner bros paramount all of the main big Hollywood studios now I don’t want you to get jealous please don’t but anyways never mind that.

In putting all of that to the side if you were to go to many threads just comparing nyc to new York which you just stated you could never win well that is funny alot of theme have been nyc comparisons to other cities and there have been many winners from different cities posting different oppinions so what is your point. We dont want to hurt new york anymore than we already have with things it does not have to offer.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 12-16-2010, 12:07 PM

96 posts, read 191,960 times
Man that is a good defense technique film firms i like that can i get anyone else to second me on it. I think these new yorkers on here are getting desperate now they could be making up stuff if that is the case well i am not even going to comment on that one.

Old 12-16-2010, 12:14 PM

10,138 posts, read 15,939,206 times
I'm not from New York City, not have I ever lived there before. Just wanted to make that clear before hand.

There are ONLY 6 Major Film Production Companies in the USA and 5 of them are headquartered in New York City (The parents companies), and 1 is headquartered in Los Angeles.

New York City:
- Time Warner (The Film Subsidiary being Warner Brothers Pictures)
- News Corporation (The Film Subsidiary being 20th Century Fox)
- Viacom (The Film Subsidiary being Paramount Pictures)
- General Electric/Vivendi (The Film Subsidiary being Universal Studios)
- Sony Corporation of America (The Film Subsidiary being Columbia Pictures)

Los Angeles:
- The Walt Disney Company (The Film Subsidiary being Disney Pictures)

Los Angeles has production studios and sets for all of those companies listed above and operates a large concentration of Film Activity in the United States West Coast, but it doesn't keep the revenue it makes off the success of a lot of the films shot in Hollywood, but the actual headquarters for Universal, 20th Century Fox, Warner Brothers, Columbia Pictures, & Paramount Pictures ARE in New York City under the moniker of their parent company's name.

So out of the Big 6 Film Companies in the United States, 5 of them are based out of New York City, meaning all the revenue generated for the success of their films ends up in New York City, where the parent companies are located for those Subsidiary Film Companies.

Today's Big 6: Major film studio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And if we're talking about the market share each of the Big 6 hold then let me get that for you:

New York City:
- Time Warner (Warner Bros. Pictures): 20.1% of the total Hollywood Filming Market Share
- News Corporation (20th Century Fox): 16.1% of the total Hollywood Filming Market Share
- Viacom (Paramount Pictures): 14.3% of the total Hollywood Filming Market Share
- General Electric/Vivendi (Universal Studios): 10.0% of the total Hollywood Filming Market Share
- Sony Corporation of America (Columbia Pictures): 14.1%

New York City's Total: 64.8% of the TOTAL Hollywood Film Market Share

Los Angeles:
- Walt Disney Company (Disney Pictures): 11.9%

Los Angeles's Total: 11.9% of the TOTAL Hollywood Film Market Share

Other Minor Role Film Production:
And the rest of the companies that aren't big league own 23.6% of the TOTAL Film Marketing Share in USA. I don't know specifically where they are located though but with 64.8% already, New York City walks away generating more than half of the American Cinema/Film Industry's Revenues.

Old 12-16-2010, 12:18 PM

1,750 posts, read 3,374,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
I'm not from New York City, not have I ever lived there before. Just wanted to make that clear before hand.

There are ONLY 6 Major Film Production Companies in the USA and 5 of them are headquartered in New York City (The parents companies), and 1 is headquartered in Los Angeles.

New York City:
- Time Warner (The Film Subsidiary being Warner Brothers Pictures)
- News Corporation (The Film Subsidiary being 20th Century Fox)
- Viacom (The Film Subsidiary being Paramount Pictures)
- General Electric/Vivendi (The Film Subsidiary being Universal Studios)
- Sony Corporation of America (The Film Subsidiary being Columbia Pictures)

Los Angeles:
- The Walt Disney Company (The Film Subsidiary being Disney Pictures)

Los Angeles has production studios and sets for all of those companies listed above and operates a large concentration of Film Activity in the United States West Coast, but it doesn't keep the revenue it makes off the success of a lot of the films shot in Hollywood, but the actual headquarters for Universal, 20th Century Fox, Warner Brothers, Columbia Pictures, & Paramount Pictures ARE in New York City under the moniker of their parent company's name.

So out of the Big 6 Film Companies in the United States, 5 of them are based out of New York City, meaning all the revenue generated for the success of their films ends up in New York City, where the parent companies are located for those Subsidiary Film Companies.

Today's Big 6: Major film studio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And if we're talking about the market share each of the Big 6 hold then let me get that for you:

New York City:
- Time Warner (Warner Bros. Pictures): 20.1% of the total Hollywood Filming Market Share
- News Corporation (20th Century Fox): 16.1% of the total Hollywood Filming Market Share
- Viacom (Paramount Pictures): 14.3% of the total Hollywood Filming Market Share
- General Electric/Vivendi (Universal Studios): 10.0% of the total Hollywood Filming Market Share
- Sony Corporation of America (Columbia Pictures): 14.1%

New York City's Total: 64.8% of the TOTAL Hollywood Film Market Share

Los Angeles:
- Walt Disney Company (Disney Pictures): 11.9%

Los Angeles's Total: 11.9% of the TOTAL Hollywood Film Market Share

Other Minor Role Film Production:
And the rest of the companies that aren't big league own 23.6% of the TOTAL Film Marketing Share in USA. I don't know specifically where they are located though but with 64.8% already, New York City walks away generating more than half of the American Cinema/Film Industry's Revenues.
How dare you back an argument with FACTS, GASP!

Old 12-16-2010, 12:22 PM

27,242 posts, read 28,317,220 times
^^ I'm curious why these film studio headquarters moved to NYC. And also why the production studios in LA are okay with this setup. What happened?

Old 12-16-2010, 12:28 PM

10,138 posts, read 15,939,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
^^ I'm curious why these film studio headquarters moved to NYC. And also why the production studios in LA are okay with this setup.
Actually since 1992 Los Angeles started losing its traction with the Film Industry.

One of my absolute favorite history lessons in class was that the Film Industry in the 1800's actually started off in New York City, and when it became too expensive to keep, all of it moved to Chicago. And remember that this time Chicago & The Midwest were what the West Coast was 50 years ago and what the Sunbelt is today. A great relocation area.

So after staying in Chicago it started becoming extremely expensive to maintain it there also and the other factors were immigration and weather. So they moved to Los Angeles, and they settled in a part called "Hollywood" so the Film Industry went under that moniker. However it was a successful set up until recently when it started becoming extremely expensive for Los Angeles to keep it. But this time around they didn't move to one location exactly.

They started moving to smaller cities like Albuquerque, Austin, Boise, Raleigh, and a lot of production studios started going into New York City also. New York City has been behind the scenes (no pun intended) and stealing a lot of Los Angeles's thunder for well about 2 decades now.

And having 5 out of 6 of the main Film Production Companies headquartered there, I would say they are success at what they're doing. Los Angeles still is the entertainment capital of the country, because it has the largest concentration of studios and sets in the country, but that's quickly starting to change also, and its where the stuff is done. But the headquarters, some secondary film sets, and the revenue are all in New York City, not Los Angeles. New York City actually has a better incentive package for movie producers and the Film Industry now, and its making headways to reclaiming what it had well over a century and a half ago.

Old 12-16-2010, 12:30 PM

151 posts, read 299,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by durf View Post
Yankee, the joke is on New Yorkers who think their city is better than any city and has everything other city has ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!!!!!!!
Yes, Joke is on New Yorkers. The joke is on the celebrities, wealthy business people, that skip glorious San Jose and go to that silly Manhattan.

What was the world's wealthiest man, Carlos Slim, thinking when he bought that $50MM mansion in Manhattan a few months ago? In Podunk Manhattan of all places, a place Podunk to the point that it has no Target "downtown". Ugh.

Carlos Slim is soooo dumb, and I'll make my case for San Jose.

First of all, New York has no real downtown. It's spreads out nowherseville. Just look at this lousy sprawled city.

And WHAT a pathetic Downtown

What the heck is this? Robbed of Target and Walmart. Poor things.

How the hell can 5th Avenue compare to

Santana Row??

The world's fashionistas don't know what they're missing in San Jose whilst shopping along 5th, Madison Avenue, SoHo and Meatpacking.

Stupid boring New Yorkers.

Boring city with nothing to do.

And yes, SJ has better condos. Look at NYC's crappy ones:

Last edited by Yankee.; 12-16-2010 at 01:17 PM..

Old 12-16-2010, 12:44 PM

151 posts, read 299,182 times
MAN, these losers in NYC have no idea of what they're missing in San Jose!

Who cares about the Meatpacking District nightlife.....they're sooo missing all the cool video game and tech conventions that go on in San Jose! I mean, San Jose has Apple and HP for Christ's sake!

Last edited by Yankee.; 12-16-2010 at 01:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City