Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 06:03 AM

160 posts, read 182,452 times

Advertisements

Maryland and Virginia aren't exactly what I would call "northern' states. Maybe NOVA is not southern, but the rest of Virginia is along with the eastern shore of MD.

Most northern would have to be New York with New jersey coming in 2nd place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 06:10 PM

2,559 posts, read 4,606,146 times
Default boredatwork

What are you folks talking about how are you going to rate Maryland more northern that NJ or any other state on that list....How is D.C losing its northerness when ppl claim its steadily becoming more northern and lost its southerness..????If you know history D.C doesnt have history with the north its with the south.....put Maryland on the bottom of the list ...we're mid atlantic not apart of the north or south is it that hard to conceive

Old 05-27-2010, 01:50 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,031,513 times
And yet at this very moment there are still ridiculous threads about something only in "the South"

I wonder if the South is anything like Atlantic. Atlanta = Atlantis? Mythological place far superior to everywhere else? No wait that's NY and California, my mistake.

Old 05-27-2010, 11:38 PM

404 posts, read 591,450 times
Florida (South of Orlando)

Wha.....*Head asplodes*

Old 05-28-2010, 12:18 AM

3,717 posts, read 8,153,027 times
Florida (south of Orlando) is still pretty southern believe it or not. It's not as southern as places like Mississippi but it's definitely not totally northern. Now, I would say Central Florida is in transition meaning that it's not traditionally southern but you still get some southern culture here and there. I would say that transition ends a little bit below Port Saint Lucie on the east and right above Naples on the west. Pretty much meaning that you won't really find much southern culture below that line. My parents have a house in the Tampa Bay area, and you see white dudes riding around in jacked up pickup trucks every now and then, I've seen a couple of confederate flags around there as well, never seen any of that in South Florida though.

Old 05-28-2010, 07:33 AM

Dear Clean_Polo,

Its called Mudding and you clearly have not been to Homestead or Florida City or anywhere West of the Turnpike.

Old 05-28-2010, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
Dear Clean_Polo,

Its called Mudding and you clearly have not been to Homestead or Florida City or anywhere West of the Turnpike.
I'm just giving my opinion off of my experiences, Homestead, Florida City, West of the turnpike? You think theres southern culture there? I have never seen a "redneck" in South Florida.

Old 05-28-2010, 04:42 PM

Oh they're there. They're definitely there.

One of the last gas stations before you reach the everglades on 8th St is full of hunting, fishing, camping and all the stuff rednecks love. Go a little further and there's a cheap restaurant you can eat fried fish legs at. (It doesn't taste good)

Old 05-28-2010, 05:38 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,871,478 times
Being from Jersey, most (almost all if you throw Catholic into the mix) people I know fit those ethnic/religious backgrounds, the accent is non-existent (although many people do say CAWfee), and we are very proud of our bagel culture.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
Oh they're there. They're definitely there.

One of the last gas stations before you reach the everglades on 8th St is full of hunting, fishing, camping and all the stuff rednecks love. Go a little further and there's a cheap restaurant you can eat fried fish legs at. (It doesn't taste good)
Lol, yeah I would expect there would probably be some near the everglades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City