Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chicago vs New York
Chicago,IL 45 52.33%
New York,NY 41 47.67%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 07:47 PM

4,068 posts, read 7,264,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by USASportsBlogs View Post
Which city is better for:
Livability
Sports
Things to do
Restaurants
Friendliness
Livability, Friendliness -- I'd say Chicago beats out NYC in those categories.

Sports -- It's a tossup.

Things to do, Restaurants -- NYC likely wins just because it's bigger, but Chicago has more than enough to offer in those categories.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:58 PM

42 posts, read 34,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
Livability, Friendliness -- I'd say Chicago beats out NYC in those categories.

How can you claim Chicago is friendlier than New York? How would you feel I was to say that New Yorkers are smarter than Chicagoans?
Those are very broad generalizations, to even make them is not very... friendly.

Seriously:

Livability - NYC - less crime and better public transportation than Chicago
Sports - NYC - The Yankess and great teams in every sport plus tennis US Open
Things to do - NYC - considered one of the three cultural centers of the western world: Broadway, Soho, Greenwhich Village, 24-hour city
Restaurants - NYC - has the most internationally recognized restaruants in the country, most variety in food of all American cities
Friendliness - NYC - New Yorkers are the friendliest people in the world

Last edited by abracadabra02; 05-25-2010 at 08:43 PM..

Old 05-25-2010, 08:08 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,065,268 times
As far as livability. With new york you can go from a penthouse in tribeca to a mansion(with a big frontyard/backyard)) in riverdale-the bronx/qnzorbk. Nyc has every option you could think of. We have houses out here aswell, you dont have to live in a skyscraper.lol dont worry

Old 05-25-2010, 08:13 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,099,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USASportsBlogs View Post
Which city is better for:
Livability
Sports
Things to do
Restaurants
Friendliness
Livability: Chicago
Sports: tie
Things to do: tie
Restaurants: NYC (only in quantity)
Friendliness: Chicago

I rate this poll a tie. The cities are remarkably similar, but Chicago is just 1/3rd the size, thats all.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:18 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,099,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abracadabra02 View Post

Yeah, right. The Cubs are just like Yankees and the Bears just like Giants.
Are you serious?
You, sir, are clueless. Just because the Cubs dont buy World Series victories doesnt make them any less special. Going to Wrigley Field is one of baseball's best experiences, better than that phony rebuilt Yanker Stadium. And the Bears have more history in their pinky finger than the Giants. Once again, winning pennants isnt the be-all-end-all of the sports world. Sometimes the history, fans, venues, etc, make for a better experience, and Chicago's sports teams have that in spades. Something youll never understand unless you come here and experience it firsthand.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:20 PM

10,138 posts, read 15,934,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
NYC cannot be compared to Chicago. A better comparison would be NYC and LA, or NYC to London.
On what basis? It's a more fun comparison with NYC and LA, but not a better one. Take a Chicagoan who leaves his office building in downtown, put him in a blindfold and let him out in NYC and he'll feel more at home there than he will in LA. LA's sports aside from the Lakers are no where near NYC's. So how is that a better comparison? It's lifestyle is the polar opposite, how is it a good comparison when one city has world renowned public transportation and the other struggles, that's not much of a good "livability" comparison. LA is a better match up for Boston, Philadelphia, San Francisco, or Chicago. IMHO (Please note that) nothings at NYC level yet.

Complimentary comparison, Chicago and NYC have more similarities than NYC and LA.

Competitive comparison, no doubt, LA and NYC are a better match up, but to say to the same extent as London and NYC, I would certainly think not!

On all basis, NYC is far ahead of any American city you can imagine. Please don't discredit it. It's pretty unfair to compare cities that don't stand as tall as the big apple, last I check, no city does here in USA.

As for the existence of this thread, it's a very dumb thread in the first place, it's like comparing Raleigh to Minneapolis...

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracadabra02 View Post
How can you claim Chicago is friendlier than New York? How would you feel I was to say that New Yorkers are smarter than Chicagoans?
Those are very broad generalizations.

Yeah, right. The Cubs are just like Yankees and the Bears just like Giants.
Are you serious?

Abracadabra see my above statement.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:21 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,149,329 times
Lol @ Yankee haters always make the excuse that the Yankees buy World Series'. You know you can buy as many players as you want that still doesn't mean you'll win games. I don't know if any of you haters realize this but guys like Derek Jeter, Mariano Rivera, Jorge Posada, Andy Pettitte, Joba Chamberlain are all out of the Yankee's farm system. Don't be jealous.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:26 PM

170 posts, read 389,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Livability: Chicago
Sports: tie
Things to do: tie
Restaurants: NYC (only in quantity)
Friendliness: Chicago

I rate this poll a tie. The cities are remarkably similar, but Chicago is just 1/3rd the size, thats all.
and yes, we have better QUALITY food too imo..chicago deep dish pizza >>> new york pizza

Old 05-25-2010, 08:28 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,149,329 times
Another thing to add to my last post, you know damn well if your favorite baseball team had the money like the Yankees they would buy decent players as well, it's common sense.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:28 PM

42 posts, read 34,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
You, sir, are clueless. Just because the Cubs dont buy World Series victories doesnt make them any less special. Going to Wrigley Field is one of baseball's best experiences, better than that phony rebuilt Yanker Stadium. And the Bears have more history in their pinky finger than the Giants. Once again, winning pennants isnt the be-all-end-all of the sports world. Sometimes the history, fans, venues, etc, make for a better experience, and Chicago's sports teams have that in spades. Something youll never understand unless you come here and experience it firsthand.

You sir are just saying this cause you can't win the WS in more than 100 years And yes, the professional sports are about winning. That's why we keep the scores.

PS. I bet watching the Yankees win is much more fun that watching the Cubs lose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City