Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Texas Light Rail System is better?
Dallas DART 93 75.00%
Houston METRORail 31 25.00%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 06:50 PM

10,138 posts, read 15,946,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
The Orange Line actually isn't under construction. Also, you only posted Phase II for Houston, but included Phase III for Dallas (the maps). Here is Phase III for Houston:

Phase II

Transit Map

Phase III

http://www.ctchouston.org/information/factsheets/railexpansion/lines2025(rev).jpg

Not to mention there are streetcar plans for Houston, which you can see here. Dallas built its light rail system like a commuter rail system. Houston is building it's light rail system like a newer version of the old trolley systems, connecting the inner core together. Then, bring in commuter rail from the suburbs to the city. They have said it will only take 18 months to complete the commuter rail in Houston, but they are waiting until most of the light rail lines (Phase II) are nearing completion before beginning on the commuter rail.
On the map are the Phase III extensions the black dotted lines? Or am I completely seeing something else? Lol. Just thought I get a good idea of what I'm looking at. Are they adding any new lines in Phase III that aren't in existence for Phase II?

Because if it is, then gosh, Houston's making major improvements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 06:54 PM

20,501 posts, read 33,335,740 times
Quote:
The Orange Line actually isn't under construction. Also, you only posted Phase II for Houston, but included Phase III for Dallas (the maps). Here is Phase III for Houston:

The Orange Line for DART? What? Did they stop? Because it started construction last year.

Old 06-01-2010, 06:57 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,940,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaAndOranges View Post
And yet both are crap in comparison with Portland, NYC, San Francisco, DC, and the list goes on and one.
And yet people from the west coast (that includes you too Mr. Oregon)and northeast areas get mad when we talk about them and say it's because we're jealous. Yea that's why...it has nothing to do with the fact they like to come on threads like this to start crap for no reason.

Old 06-01-2010, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
On the map are the Phase III extensions the black dotted lines? Or am I completely seeing something else? Lol. Just thought I get a good idea of what I'm looking at. Are they adding any new lines in Phase III that aren't in existence for Phase II?

The dotted lines will be the commuter rail lines.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:20 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,874,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
The Orange Line for DART? What? Did they stop? Because it started construction last year.
Money woes will force DART to cut jobs, rail plans | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Dallas-Fort Worth Transportation News | Dallas-Fort Worth News

So, it's just going to be delayed a couple of years. I confused that, with DART's plan for a second Downtown line (subway or at-grade).

Quote:

Not really new lines, but just extensions of the ones from Phase II.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Money woes will force DART to cut jobs, rail plans | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Dallas-Fort Worth Transportation News | Dallas-Fort Worth News

So, it's just going to be delayed a couple of years. I confused that, with DART's plan for a second Downtown line (subway or at-grade).

Not really new lines, but just extensions of the ones from Phase II.
I really feel bad for continuously asking these questions, but Dallas is getting a subway? Lol, wow.

Yeah I figured they would be extensions, really long extensions at that. I'm really looking forward to when they get IAH airport connected. That would be a huge reliever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
The dotted lines will be the commuter rail lines.
Oh wow, my areas just getting commuter rail (Sugar Land-Southwest area). Lol, oh well, better than nothing.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:37 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,874,687 times
Quote:
I really feel bad for continuously asking these questions, but Dallas is getting a subway? Lol, wow.
Dallas already has a subway segment on the Red/Blue lines, with one station (Cityplace). It's under US 75 (basically, I-45). Mockingbird Station is an open-cut station, but it's also below grade. They were trying to get another one in Downtown, but it doesn't look likely anymore.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:38 PM

Re-Read it. The Orange line is fine. That is safe from the cuts. It's the other extensions such as the one to Rowlett and the Cotton Belt that maybe cut.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:45 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,605,025 times
DART for sure. There is no close 2nd in Texas.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
I dont know how anyone could even vote for Houston's light rail unless your a Houston homer (and there are alot of them on here).

DART for sure.
I gave service to Dallas, but I gave looks to Houston.

Overall: Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City