Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Boston (Metropolitan area included) 259 46.92%
San Francisco (Bay Area/Metro) 293 53.08%
Voters: 552. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 12:58 PM

14,459 posts, read 11,198,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Network View Post
San Francisco by a mile, Boston's pretty good too but still not San Francisco level.

If you value weather, scenery, location, food, and liberal ideas then San Francisco should be the forefront for you. Boston is also very liberal too.
Do you mean things like "no meat Mondays" and toyless happy meals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 01:04 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,387,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Did that really go through? I remember hearing some rumors about those bills being proposed.

Old 08-09-2011, 04:50 PM

33 posts, read 43,571 times
Boston easily.

SF MSA is barely bigger than the Inland Empire MSA, and smaller than Phoenix now. Boston is a large city that everyone around the world knows with the smartest people living there.

Whenever SF gets a Harvard or MIT, then it could be spoken in the same sentence. Stanford is overrated, and Berkeley is a public school, and like all public schools in California, its failing now

Old 08-09-2011, 05:59 PM

12,548 posts, read 21,718,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteriousRegion View Post
Boston is a large city that everyone around the world knows
Ummm... couldn't you say the exact same thing about San Francisco? I would wager that San Francisco has more international visitors each year than Boston.

Quote:
with the smartest people living there.
Both cities have a highly educated populous. However, San Francisco generally has a higher percentage of the population with 4-year degrees, graduate degrees, and doctorates. Again, its close, but San Francisco is in the same conversation and is statistically better.

Quote:
Whenever SF gets a Harvard or MIT, then it could be spoken in the same sentence. Stanford is overrated, and Berkeley is a public school, and like all public schools in California, its failing now
Both of those schools rank at the top of the country with Harvard and MIT in almost every metric. I DO think the the Boston area has better colleges, but I think Boston gets the edge with top-notch second-tier schools like Northeastern, Tufts, Boston College, Boston University, Brandeis, Bentley, etc. At the top, with Harvard/MIT vs. Berkeley/Stanford, it's almost a wash. Personally, I think it's silly to knock any of those schools since they'd likely laugh at 99% of our applications. I sure couldn't get into any of those schools.

Old 08-09-2011, 06:01 PM

27 posts, read 50,020 times
Let ask a simple question?

What is San Franciscos level, and what's required to be on that level?

Old 08-09-2011, 07:26 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,493,061 times
Boston, but only slightly. Birthtown bias.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:30 PM

312 posts, read 433,870 times
Quote:
I hold nothing against Republicans, some of my close friends whom I respect very much happen to be Republicans. I just believe in a more social and open to all way of life. Liberalism is more of a way of life than it is a political movement.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:05 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,127,237 times
My more thorough view if anyone cares,

These cities are definately top notch no matter who their pinned against. But I still have a slight nod to San Francisco. I think the beauty of san Fran along with their downtown just make it that much easier to pick. Personally, I'd (Have known to be a hot head every full moon) would have a hard time with all of Bostons rudeness. Don't get me wrong, San Fran aint exactly rolling out the red carpet for people in kindness either. The sub culture in San Fran is sort of fascinating to me, no matter how many years ago it peaked. Boston does and never has had a sub culture of any sort that I can think of. When you think of Boston you think Colleges.

The variety of people definately goes to San Fran. Boston is too uuuuuhhhhh New Englandy. Don't try to over analyze this. My mother is from New England. So I have no hate. It just is what it is.

Now here is where I prefer Boston. I think San Francisco is a beautiful city, but their are shopping districts in Boston that are phenominal. San Francisco's no slouch and probably bigger and better. But I like the feel of some of Bostons shopping area. Especially in the fall. It is a really awesome city to walk down some of those streets at night in early september.

Driving Boston sucks and it's a maze. San Fran wins by default.

San Fran weather is a bit over-rated but it still wins because Boston can be cold. It's actually very cool most year round with alot of overcast. There are other parts of the city that experience more sunshine than others. However, I take back the win part. I think their a tie. Boston is gorgeous looking in the fall as are most NE cities.

I like Bostons bar, college, and nightclub scene better.

But If you consider CSA's. It seems to me that San Francisco has much larger cities and much closer nearby with Oakland and San Jose. Boston's CSA stretches to far out to me. To me Providence seems kind of far away and not really in their CSA area at all. People in Providence don't think much of Boston. Their happy where their at. Most of them probably don't even know that they are in Boston's CSA. Manchester NH is another one. To me it doesn't feel apart of Boston at all. It's a bit too far away in my eyes. Same thing there. People living in Manchester aren't thinking about Boston at all.

Whereas for San Francisco, Oakland and San Jose are much closer so it feels more apart of the big picture. Because personally too me this CSA sh t don't make sense. I know many cities with big CSA numbers that I don't feel are really connected.

Sports, -that's an easy one. Boston by a landslide. At least in the last three decades. San Fran had some good moments with the 49ers, but besides winning last years world series, what has that area won in a long time. Oakland did give them two world series titles in the seventies and once were a force to recken with with the A's. However, Boston has won in something pretty much every decade and their teams just seem more competitive year in and year out. The Pat's with three rings, the Celtics with three dating back to the eighties. I think Bird and Mchale just won two. Not sure on that one.

Overall though, there both great cities. Culinary they couldn't be more different. Boston is on lobster, Clam chowder, New England foods. SF is Asian and a bit more worldly with their cuisine. That is not a knock to Boston. I guess that depends on how you look at it. One can argue for the fact that Boston stays traditional with their cuisine. That also puts them in that unigue quality like New Orleans, Miami, and I've intentionally left out smaller cities and I'm sure their are some major ones that I just can't wrap my mind around. Bottom line,- that makes them unigue and on par with few cities where a certain cuisine dominates their city. That's part of their authenticity. So that's for whoever to decide...

That's too much. If you even read that much-god bless you. Early in the poll I chose San fran. But it definately depends on what the individual is looking for.

Last edited by supermanpansy; 08-09-2011 at 09:16 PM..

Old 08-09-2011, 08:29 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,199,221 times
Quote:
I am an SF native/resident who has never before heard of "no meat mondays". I swear it's like conservatives often know more about so-called "liberal ideals" than actual liberals. Obsessed much?

Old 08-09-2011, 08:32 PM

12,385 posts, read 28,372,317 times
Hmm...I have to disagree... I love the "colleges" that make up Boston. This is not LSU and Auburn we are talking about...It gives the place the most intellectual atmosphere in the country. When you say the place is rude, that to me means...there is something underlying and these people are probably smart, witty, cultured and get down to business...not spaced out, air headed, care free, and other terms that come to mind when I think about their opposite. So for me, those things are good. Coupled with the rich traditions, the strong Irish culture and history...it's hard to beat in the broader U.S. . I wish it were a little more hustle/bustle though and about twice as large.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City