Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Boston (Metropolitan area included) 259 46.92%
San Francisco (Bay Area/Metro) 293 53.08%
Voters: 552. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 08:33 PM

13,940 posts, read 14,806,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Hmm...I have to disagree... I love the "colleges" that make up Boston. This is not LSU and Auburn we are talking about...It gives the place the most intellectual atmosphere in the country. Coupled with the rich traditions, irish culture and history...it's hard to beat. I wish it were a little more hustle/bustle though and about twice as large.
Boston would be Hell if it has 1,200,000, driving would be more nightmirrorish than now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 08:37 PM

12,385 posts, read 28,372,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Boston would be Hell if it has 1,200,000, driving would be more nightmirrorish than now.
Oh well, I wouldn't drive anyway. No biggie for me lol.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Oh well, I wouldn't drive anyway. No biggie for me lol.
try crossing the street with double the cars, it would be like Mumbui

Old 08-10-2011, 11:43 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,387,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
I am an SF native/resident who has never before heard of "no meat mondays". I swear it's like conservatives often know more about so-called "liberal ideals" than actual liberals. Obsessed much?
Your post is misdirected. You might disagree with what Joshua said, but he's not one of the posters who has been bashing San Francisco over the past couple of weeks. Relax. SF is known for being wacky liberal. You're gonna have to just roll with the punches sometimes.

Btw, I saw you responded to the "no meat Mondays" but not the "no toys in Happy Meals" ... are there really no toys in Happy Meals there?

Old 08-10-2011, 11:46 AM

14,459 posts, read 11,198,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
I am an SF native/resident who has never before heard of "no meat mondays". I swear it's like conservatives often know more about so-called "liberal ideals" than actual liberals. Obsessed much?
No, apparently just more than you.

http://sfist.com/2010/04/07/backlash_meat-free_mondays.php (broken link)

Old 08-10-2011, 12:05 PM

11,054 posts, read 16,747,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
No, apparently just more than you.

Backlash: Meat Free Mondays: SFist (http://sfist.com/2010/04/07/backlash_meat-free_mondays.php - broken link)
I'm a vegetarian who lives in San Francisco, and I've never heard of this. I agree with the article; it's unnecessary...

Old 08-10-2011, 12:20 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,387,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I'm a vegetarian who lives in San Francisco, and I've never heard of this. I agree with the article; it's unnecessary...
Yea it would be a bit absurd. If you're a vegetarian, that's fine. If you want to promote healthier food, that's fine too. But banning things like meat on certain days is flat out absurd.

I can't get a straight answer from any of you wacky hippies () in regards to the Happy Meal situation, so I looked it up myself. So is the ban still set to take place in December or did some voice of reason take hold?

The thing that frustrates me the most is that anyone who supported this bill likely doesn't eat at McDonald's anyway...so why are they able to pass a bill like this? It shouldn't be within the public's right to ban a private product. This is America and we're supposed to have a choice. You think McDonald's is terrible both nutritionally and taste-wise? Then don't eat there! If you don't like Product Y, then don't purchase it.

Ironically, these same people were probably up-in-arms about the Patriot Act, which allows police to infringe on our rights...but they have no problem trying to tell others what they can/can't eat. Hypocrisy at its finest.

Full disclosure: I am against things like the Patriot Act and I don't really like McDonalds (though I am guilty of grabbing some fries and a $0.99 large coke from time-to-time)...however I think people should have a choice to do certain things. It sucks when I see a 11 year old blubber-ball walking down the street and I think the parents should be smacked for allowing their kids to get that way...but we should only be able to promote certain things, not force them. However that "No Meat Mondays" thing was only a suggestion, right? Or would it eventually have become mandatory?

Old 08-10-2011, 12:42 PM

2,710 posts, read 6,071,620 times
Outlaw toys! Legalize marijuana!

Old 08-10-2011, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
Outlaw toys! Legalize marijuana!
Lol

Old 08-10-2011, 06:11 PM

12,548 posts, read 21,718,207 times
Both cities have some wacky laws. Why can't I buy booze in a grocery store or Pharmacy in Boston. Why can't I buy booze at all before noon on Sunday (and until recently, I couldn't at all on Sunday). Tattoo parlors were illegal until recently.

For every quirky overly "progressive" San Francisco law, there's probably an equally ridiculous archaic blue law in Boston.

Did the no-circumcising bill ever pass in San Francisco? That was big news in March/April when I was out there, but I haven't heard anything since.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City