Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Boston (Metropolitan area included) 259 46.92%
San Francisco (Bay Area/Metro) 293 53.08%
Voters: 552. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 12:11 AM

192 posts, read 502,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeusEx View Post
Boston pales in comparison to Bay Area tech scene/VC funding. Even with MIT/Harvard as sources of creative innovation, still hasn't managed to even come close to what Stanford/Berkeley has yielded.
You should ask them about NIH funding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 12:12 AM

3,717 posts, read 8,146,662 times
I'd actually give vibrancy of downtown to San Francisco.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:12 AM

153 posts, read 380,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Yes, I have. I've seen Berkeley's campus. What's your point? I wasn't trying to list all the schools I was just trying to get this started.
What does having seen the campus have to do with anything? If you're going to discuss SF and Boston in terms of education, not throwing in Berkeley and MIT along with Harvard and Stanford is foolish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by potato head8 View Post
You should ask them about NIH funding.
I'm talking private sector startups, not research. VC stands for venture capital, if you weren't clear.

Regardless:
http://news.ucsf.edu/releases/ucsf-t...econd-overall/

Quote:
UCSF received more research funds from the National Institutes of Health than any other public institution in 2009, and received the second largest amount of all institutions nationwide, according to new figures released by the NIH.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:15 AM

10,138 posts, read 15,928,719 times
Quote:
What does having seen the campus have to do with anything? If you're going to discuss SF and Boston in terms of education, not throwing in Berkeley and MIT along with Harvard and Stanford is foolish.
Uhm no, that's why at the bottom of my post I said include whatever else you can think of. I shouldn't have to list everything for everyone to come up with. I just like to list one or two things and then let everyone else do comparisons and add things on their own.

I said I saw Berkeley to refute your words "ever heard of MIT? Berkeley?" yeah I have heard of them, visited one and know a lot about both, so yes lol I know they exist.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:24 AM

153 posts, read 380,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
I said I saw Berkeley to refute your words "ever heard of MIT? Berkeley?" yeah I have heard of them, visited one and know a lot about both, so yes lol I know they exist.
Pretty sure everyone's heard of the two schools, hence the light sarcasm which apparently wasn't realized.

Overall, give Boston the leg up for education, as with H/M, or, with all the schools in the Boston area besides H/M, it's still the one of the top, if not the top educational center in the US, regardless.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:29 AM

36,881 posts, read 38,781,820 times
A good comparison, though I find San Francisco more diverse in nearly every way, more progressive overall, and with a climate far more to my liking. However, Boston has much easier access to many distinct and unique cities. In the end, I'd take the Bay Area.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:35 AM

593 posts, read 1,754,799 times
Nightlife is more diverse and slightly better in SF than Boston, but they are similar in that regard (although Boston seems to roll up its sidewalks a bit earlier).

Boston does have a stronger sense of identity and history, something which I absolutely love about that city. SF has more of a "anything is possible" vibe. Two of my favorite cities overall...

Old 05-26-2010, 12:50 AM

2,347 posts, read 2,771,609 times
Quote:
Heard of MIT and Berkeley? Apparently not.

Boston pales in comparison to Bay Area tech scene/VC funding. Even with MIT/Harvard as sources of creative innovation, still hasn't managed to even come close to what Stanford/Berkeley has yielded.
haha, could you verify any of this? To me, this is a very ridiculous statement.

MIT is still the pre-eminent tech school in the world.

And the Harvard system has been replicated the world over for, oh, 400 years.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:57 AM

254 posts, read 581,895 times
Having lived in Boston for 5 years and spent considerable time in SF I can fill in:

- Nightlife: Boston, SOMA and Marina District cant compare to Theater District and Faneuil Hall. Maybe its just me but its difficult to find a good area of bars and clubs in SF
- Diversity (economy): I would guess both are on the same page yet SF metro benefits from having San Jose and Oakland which are superior to our closest cities Worcester and Providence.
- Diversity (culture/people): SF I definitely see more tourists and diversity in SF
- Languages spoken: SF As a result of the above
- Education (Will be the most anticipated criteria IMHO): Boston Its got Harvard, MIT, NEU, BU and BC. SF only has Stanford, Berkeley and don't tell me about UCSF because I would have included UMASS Dorchester
- Friendly people: SF by a long shot. They dont call us M@SSHOLES for nuthin
- Climate: SF's weather is pretty constant a little bit on the cool side but not as bad as what it is in Boston in Fall and Winter. However in the Spring and Summer I would rather be in the hot and humid weather of Boston.
- Natural scenery: Boston does have the beautiful greenery that changes colors with the seasons. Yet it does not compare to the mountains and variations in scenery that you can get from driving south to Big Sur or eastwards to Sierra Nevada. We got VT, NH and ME but they all got nothing on what CA has.
- Shopping: SF by a long shot!! Union Sq as a whole with the Westfield shopping area and neighborhood puts the PRU and Newbury St to shame. Beyond the city, metro has far more outlets and suburban malls than Boston.
- Benefits from location: Boston is just easier to get to since its not on a peninsula. You don't have to drive the Bay Bridge or Golden Gate or around the East Bay to get to the city.
- Public Transportation: Boston and SF do not have the best metros in the country but I got to give SF credit for having a true metro coming out of the airport, not something you got to take the bus to. Plus SF has indicators for its buses and trains that tells passengers when the next train is going to come. I guess the T hasn't caught up with the new technology.
- Airports: SFO sucks in terms of dining choices.
- Skyline: Boston only has 2 skyscrapers but SF is not that much more impressive but it beats Boston in the ways to see the skyline from Alcratraz Island and Golden Gate Bridge
- Vibrancy of downtown: Union Sq is way more alive than Boston's Downtown Crossing.
- Theater, Music, & Arts scene: Im sure Boston's Theater District beats SF's by a mile. I'm not sure if SF's is by the Civic Center but it 'was a shady area.
- History: Come on!! Boston came before SF. Its unfair competition
- Parks: Wow Golden Gate Park puts Boston Commons and Boston Public Garden to shame. Heck!! it even beats NYC's Central Park

Old 05-26-2010, 01:46 AM
TT1

148 posts, read 438,324 times
None of these cities are my style, and they're both equal from what I've seen.

At least Boston's closer to NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City