Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Boston (Metropolitan area included) 259 46.92%
San Francisco (Bay Area/Metro) 293 53.08%
Voters: 552. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 01:48 PM

36,623 posts, read 67,123,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Ok, I guess if you're gonna look at it like that...Harvard & MIT > Stanford & Cal...so why did you say they were equal besides homerism?
Well, first of all, Undergrad studies is nothing to me-that's basically glorified high school as far as I'm concerned.

If we look at graduate schools, Harvard and MIT meet their match in Stanford and Berkeley and that is darn impressive.

The rest of the schools are not even worth mentioning-also UCSF seems to be the only school in either Metro to rank highly as far as national universities with recognized graduate programs.

Furthermore,
I prefer public schools to privates and Berkeley for a public school, to rival Harvard and MIT and Stanford btw, in so many fields is really what pushes the Bay Area ahead imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 02:21 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,387,205 times
Well if we're including SF/SJ CSA, aren't we including Boston's CSA? That adds Brown, which I mentioned before...not a bad school.

Besides, with your ridiculously elitest attitude I would think you'd be spitting at the poor saps that went to public schools...

Last edited by tmac9wr; 05-26-2010 at 02:46 PM..

Old 05-26-2010, 02:23 PM

10,138 posts, read 15,928,719 times
Quote:
Well if we're including SF/SJ CSA, aren't we including Boston's CSA? That adds Brown, which I mentioned before...not a bad school.
An ivy league, it's not a bad school, it's a great school!

Old 05-26-2010, 02:25 PM

2,710 posts, read 6,071,620 times
What's with all these "vs Boston" threads?

Old 05-26-2010, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
What's with all these "vs Boston" threads?
I want to know more in depth about Boston. I'm probably most interested in that city over any other at this current point.

Old 05-26-2010, 02:53 PM

2,710 posts, read 6,071,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
I want to know more in depth about Boston. I'm probably most interested in that city over any other at this current point.
So why not post your questions in the Boston forum? You'll get honest answers from folks who actually live there.

Old 05-26-2010, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
So why not post your questions in the Boston forum? You'll get honest answers from folks who actually live there.
No life style differences between the cities I've spent a large amount of time in to Boston. It's easier to contrast city lifestyles when it's in a more competitive environment. Which is why City VS City forum is ideal.

Boston forum is nice, but I try to stay away from other peoples boards. Not generally my thing.

Old 05-26-2010, 03:03 PM

Quote:
I didnt say any schools are bad. Going to school period is a good thing and it matters more that you go then where you go if we're being honest.

But I am referring to the best of the best. And Harvard and MIT, being the best of the best, are rivaled quite well, by Stanford and Cal.

Besides, with your ridiculously elitest attitude I would think you'd be spitting at the poor saps that went to public schools...[/quote]

Spitting at the poor saps who went to public schools?

Did you read my last post?
The fact that Berkeley is a public school that does so well in the grad school rankings is precisely WHY I favor the Bay Area in regards to education.

UCSF is probably the highest rated 'public' med school in the nation-and that is awesome.

Old 05-26-2010, 05:26 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,387,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Spitting at the poor saps who went to public schools?

Did you read my last post?
The fact that Berkeley is a public school that does so well in the grad school rankings is precisely WHY I favor the Bay Area in regards to education.
I know.

I suppose I was annoyed by the fact that to you called undergrad studies are "glorified high school". It wreaks of elitism, but you praise public universities over private ones. I understand the praise of public schools, but I don't see why if two schools are equal, one should be considered better because it's public and the other is private. The only reason I can think of is because your dog in the fight is public.

You're a great forumer, and you make fantastic points in many of your posts. We're all guilty of homerism to a degree, but you take the cake my friend haha.

P.S. For some reason you keep ignoring Brown, which is a pretty fantastic school....or does it not count because it's private?

P.P.S. I apologize if I came off as bitter in my previous post...it was a frustrating day at work and it was hot as dog balls in Boston (90+ & humid)...add in slight nervousness of Celtics vs Magic tonight haha.

Old 05-26-2010, 06:26 PM

Quote:
I know.

I suppose I was annoyed by the fact that to you called undergrad studies are "glorified high school". It wreaks of elitism, but you praise public universities over private ones. I understand the praise of public schools, but I don't see why if two schools are equal, one should be considered better because it's public and the other is private. The only reason I can think of is because your dog in the fight is public.

You're a great forumer, and you make fantastic points in many of your posts. We're all guilty of homerism to a degree, but you take the cake my friend haha.

P.S. For some reason you keep ignoring Brown, which is a pretty fantastic school....or does it not count because it's private?

P.P.S. I apologize if I came off as bitter in my previous post...it was a frustrating day at work and it was hot as dog balls in Boston (90+ & humid)...add in slight nervousness of Celtics vs Magic tonight haha.
Well, I shouldnt have said "glorified high school"-obviously that's not true. Its quite an accomplishment that is very impressive and praiseworthy, regardless as to where a person attends.

So I take that back. Sorry.

I think my statement is due to my background. My mom's family is pretty uptight when it comes to college degrees-its annoying to be honest. They are incessantly putting pressure on the kids to attend the best schools possible and that can be unnerving.

Yes, pressure is nice, but the pressure should be to go to the best school for you-not the best school according to US News and World Report. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City