Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Feels Bigger.
Memphis 63 29.30%
Nashville 152 70.70%
Voters: 215. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 11:46 AM

3,643 posts, read 10,688,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston14 View Post
Nashville, more dense feel
I can see how people say it feels bigger, but more dense? How?

Nashville's density is 1260 people per sq. mi.
Memphis' density is 2397 people per sq. mi.

No contest on density. Half of Nashville is sprawl and open fields.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 11:49 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,693,095 times
Overall ,they feel about the same too me. Memphis has a more urban downtown core, while Nashville has a the feel a of larger metro area. But on a grand scale of things, they are about the same.

Old 07-12-2010, 04:08 PM

1,432 posts, read 3,827,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post

But Nashville's city limits include vast areas of undeveloped hills and farms land (due to consolidation)...if Nashville annexed land in the traditional way that Memphis did the numbers would be much closer.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:39 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,756,157 times
Blues vs Country

Old 07-13-2010, 10:18 AM

813 posts, read 2,022,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post

This is false. Nashville's density numbers are low because about 1/3rd of Davidson County is hilly, limestone bluffs to the northwest of the county that require heavy blasting for large scale development. These are mostly not open fields but wooded, rural hills that are sparsely inhabited for the aforementioned reason. The only significant portion of Davidson County that remains open fields is the small Bells Bend area near the Cumberland River in West Nashville. This is farmland that's considered the "breadbasket" of Nashville. There was a massive mixed-used proposal for the area called May Town Center that was met with hefty opposition. Other than Bell Bends, most of the open fields are towards the fringe of the county in places like Cane Ridge and Hermitage that are rapidly developing now.

Granted, Nashville is still an auto-centric city which grew at a time when the people preferred a bit more space. So it does sprawl and cannot match neighboring cities with older, established neighborhoods like Memphis or Louisville regardless of the topographical limitations. But this myth that Nashville is just open fields with boundless, developable land at its disposal need to cease. The overwhelming majority of areas in Nashville that can sustain large-scale development are already developed.

Last edited by ariesjow; 07-13-2010 at 10:29 AM..

Old 07-17-2010, 12:02 AM

46 posts, read 130,978 times
Okay, this isn't that hard. Everyone knows Nashville is more upscale and cosmopolitan than Memphis and has more amenities and a better skyline. Therefore, to me, Nashville "feels" bigger to me in terms of feeling like I'm in a major city. I, however, prefer Memphis because of it's cultural uniqueness, realness, grit, and to some extent, because of it's degradation.

Old 10-17-2010, 06:53 AM

9 posts, read 15,487 times
Memphis is a giant ghetto and Nashville is a giant trailer park! Though Nashville appears to be moving in a more progressive and cosmopolitan direction than Memphis. I have also noticed there seems to be quite a rivalry between the two cities. I learned a couple of interesting facts about Memphis, it is the first major city where the caucasion population is a minority and it is also the hunger capital of the United States.

Old 10-17-2010, 10:22 AM

1,221 posts, read 2,732,863 times
Memphis definitely feels bigger. Plus, who thinks Nashville has a better skyline? Memphis' skyline is much more impressive, with taller buildings, the "M" bridge, and the pyramid. Nashville's is pretty underwhelming with those little stumpy buildings.

Whenever I'm in Nashville I feel like it's just a giant, overgrown small town. Even the "inner city" areas feel a lot more open and spread out. I'm thinking of Downtown and Midtown in Memphis and there's really nothing that dense and urban in Nashville.

I don't mean to put down Nashville in any way- It's a great town with lots of culture, shopping, entertainment, etc. But if you're going by which city feels more urban, it's Memphis without a doubt.

Old 10-17-2010, 10:58 AM

813 posts, read 2,022,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn10am View Post
Plus, who thinks Nashville has a better skyline?
Probably the overwhelming majority of people with sight. Neither Memphis nor Nashville has much to write home about in the skyline department but clearly Nashville has a better and fresher skyline. This should be without debate. I will give Memphis street level since it has an older, denser core that's rare in the Southeast. We'd love to have great, old bones like Memphis. But skyline? Come on. Don't be silly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn10am View Post
Memphis' skyline is much more impressive, with taller buildings, the "M" bridge, and the pyramid. Nashville's is pretty underwhelming with those little stumpy buildings.
FAIL.

List of Tallest Buildings in Memphis
List of Tallest Buildings in Nashville

Old 10-17-2010, 05:05 PM

1,432 posts, read 3,827,193 times
Lol, It's been about 40 years since the skylines were comparable in height!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City