Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Feels Bigger.
Memphis 63 29.30%
Nashville 152 70.70%
Voters: 215. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 10:05 PM

66 posts, read 128,882 times

Advertisements

Nashville is bigger and has more amenities by a long shot. Memphis however feels more urban from my experience. These are two very different cities that might as well be in two separate states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 11:51 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,844,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
I'm not really sure what Easy Way is, but Wild Oats closed several years ago. We now have Whole Foods, Trader Joes, Fresh Market and the Turnip Truck as our major organic grocers. Publix and Kroger also heavily dominate the market here too. Many of the Publix are brand new and nearly all of the Nashville area Krogers have been significantly expanded and remodeled. Someone on another forum also mentioned Earthfare will enter the market very soon...stay tuned.
Easy Way is a produce store. Easily identified by its orange appearance of the buildings. I'm certain that there was a Whole Foods when I lived there. Good on Memphis for obtaining a Trader Joe's, The Fresh Market, and The Turnip Truck. One can never have enough organic grocers. I knew about Kroger. I was disappointed to learn that Schnucks had been beaten out. Publix is cool. However, Schnucks is billy bad as! Good on Memphis!

This is Dach Imports:
DVD /VHS kung fu movies,Shaw Brothers, old school kung fu movies

I used to hang out at this place for hours, chopping it up with customers. Finally, I would take my movies home and have my own Kung fu Theater.

Welcome to EASY-WAY

I've never been to Nashville. Memphis has a great vibe and its own flavor. I need to get back there, soon. Two of my children were born in Memphis.

Old 11-12-2013, 01:10 AM

620 posts, read 1,191,815 times
We should trade the predators for the Grizzlies.

Old 11-12-2013, 01:27 AM

620 posts, read 1,191,815 times
To be honest, as there is more investment into Nashville's Urban Core and inner city neighborhoods, I think it will start feeling a little bigger. A lot of black families might have to be displaced for this to happen, but that is why there is Antioch and Madison haha.

Old 11-12-2013, 06:32 PM

13,336 posts, read 39,695,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSides View Post
Easy Way is a produce store. Easily identified by its orange appearance of the buildings. I'm certain that there was a Whole Foods when I lived there. Good on Memphis for obtaining a Trader Joe's, The Fresh Market, and The Turnip Truck. One can never have enough organic grocers. I knew about Kroger. I was disappointed to learn that Schnucks had been beaten out. Publix is cool. However, Schnucks is billy bad as! Good on Memphis!

This is Dach Imports:
DVD /VHS kung fu movies,Shaw Brothers, old school kung fu movies

I used to hang out at this place for hours, chopping it up with customers. Finally, I would take my movies home and have my own Kung fu Theater.

Welcome to EASY-WAY

I've never been to Nashville. Memphis has a great vibe and its own flavor. I need to get back there, soon. Two of my children were born in Memphis.
Memphis does not have Trader Joe's or Publix. Shakeesha was referring to Nashville, not Memphis.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 11-13-2013, 12:14 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,844,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Memphis does not have Trader Joe's or Publix. Shakeesha was referring to Nashville, not Memphis.
Ahhh! Thank you sir.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:05 AM

329 posts, read 630,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Memphis feels more urban, but Nashville feels larger and more spread out. You see many big city overpasseswider interstates and taller buildings even out in the suburbs, Memphis has nothing like this. However, once you come into dowtown, Memphis feels like a real city. There is a chunky cluster of density that surrounds you (that feeling that you don't know where you are because you are surrounded on all sides). Nashville doesn't have that quite yet, there are many gaps and parking lots downtown that make it much easier to navigate. Where Nashville shines is its growing skyline. Several tall office and residential buildings are either planned or under construction (the Gulch neighborhood (first all green neighborhood in the southeast). Memphis hasn't built a new tower in over twenty years. Both cities have high crime, but Memphis much much more. It's not really fair to compare Memphis to Nashville because Nashville' economy is bigger, better, and more diversified.
Well actually Memphis tallest building is located outside of downtown in East Memphis (where Memphis second skyline is located) with many office buildings stretching to the suburbs.
[IMG]http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad264/troyw_91/rsz_eastmem-wide_zps69cbb2f3.jpg[/IMG]
The picture doesn't capture the full but its a glimpse. The dirt patch on the middle right of the picture, there's another office tower being built for International Paper HQ. Also DT Memphis is visible in the distance.

Last edited by JMT; 11-13-2013 at 09:04 PM..

Old 03-13-2014, 10:36 PM

9,598 posts, read 9,185,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKernel91 View Post
Well actually Memphis tallest building is located outside of downtown in East Memphis (where Memphis second skyline is located) with many office buildings stretching to the suburbs.
[IMG]http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad264/troyw_91/rsz_eastmem-wide_zps69cbb2f3.jpg[/IMG]
The picture doesn't capture the full but its a glimpse. The dirt patch on the middle right of the picture, there's another office tower being built for International Paper HQ. Also DT Memphis is visible in the distance.
East Memphis is not a suburb.

Old 11-07-2017, 11:42 AM

82 posts, read 166,545 times
Well to date, as of November 2017, Nashville by far is much bigger than Memphis as a city and metro area. Nashville metro area is closing in on 2 million people in a few years, while Memphis remains near 1.4 million. Nashville is among the fastest growing cities in the nation, while Memphis stagnated. Nashville has grown so fast, in the last ten years that it's urban core now looks bigger than Memphis. Downtown Nashville is booming with construction projects, while hardly nothing going on in Memphis downtown. Nashville looks more to Atlanta, Charlotte, and Dallas as ideal rival cities, than Memphis and Nashville is going through the same type of growth the other named cities have gone through. In all measures Nashville is outpacing Memphis, even in airport growth. In Memphis you don't see no traffic until you enter within the city limits or around the perimeter. In Nashville the freeway mimics Atlanta. Traffic on the interstates can back up over 30 miles. So the urban feeling in Nashville looks and feels bigger than Memphis, because its a half million more people than Memphis area.

Old 11-07-2017, 02:00 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,408,431 times
One thing I've noticed here on City Data for years is that most people on here too many times don't make the distinction between city and metro area. In this case, in terms of population, Memphis is a bigger city and Nashville is a bigger metro area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City