Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 02:32 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,146,662 times

Advertisements

Why do you think I was so quick to make sure people knew that Keyshia Cole is originally from Oakland, CA and not New Jersey? Because I'm from New Jersey and we don't need that ghetto ass family reppin it lmao. That is one embarassing fam.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:34 PM

8,468 posts, read 14,896,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
Well, actually I believe both Keyshia Cole and John Mayer started their music careers in their respective hometowns. They both moved to Atlanta later in their career. I didn't even realize John Mayer had a spot in the ATL.
I'll have to find the one for Keyshia, but for John Mayer:

Quote:
John Mayer enrolled in the Berklee College of Music in Boston, Massachusetts, at age nineteen.[4] However, at the urging of his college friend and Atlanta, Georgia native, Clay Cook, he left school after two semesters and moved with Cook to Atlanta.[17] In Atlanta they formed a two-man band called LoFi Masters and began performing in local coffee houses and club venues such as Eddie's Attic.[9]
Apparently he still has a place somewhere in Buckhead.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
I'll have to find the one for Keyshia, but for John Mayer:

Apparently he still has a place somewhere in Buckhead.
Oh thats cool.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:38 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,040,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone2flyboy View Post
You seem to have omitted quite a few people

T.I. (rap)
Justin Beiber (pop)
Young Jeezy (rap)
Mastadon (heavy metal)
The Black Crowes (rock)
Collective Soul (rock)
Jermaine Dupri (producer)
Sevendust (rock)
The Indigo Girls (Indie Rock)
Usher (R&B)
The Dream (R&B)
Outkast (rap) -greatest rap duo of all time BTW
Sugarland (country)
Allan Jackson (country)
R.E.M. (rock)- from Athens but its close enough
The B 52's (same as above)
Elton John- (pop)- not from the A but he lives here
Gladys Knight and the Pips (R&B)
B.O.B (rap)-also one of the hottest underground rap acts at the moment
Cee-Lo (rap)
Gucci Mane (rap)
The Chariot (heavy metal)
Cartel (rock)
And the list continues but I cant remember anybody else....
Not to mention that most if not all of the artists from the Twin Cities reside here now- Babyface, Jimmy Jam, Terry Lewis, Morris Day...sh*t thats like the entire Time band....lol, Guess they got tired of the vast entertainment options in the Twin Cities and decided to come on down to this slow, country bumpkin town...rofl

Also home to the only black owned film and television studio in the country, Tyler Perry Studios
Rhymesayers Entertainment :: Artists >>> than anything in Atlanta

Old 05-27-2010, 02:39 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,381,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone2flyboy View Post
Dude Frankie is sad, when I saw her at Pin Ups she got on stage, in her denim cat suit and all and started poppin it harder than some of the strippers were. It was like watching a train wreck, not to mention the fact the she obviously was under the influence of something. And judging by how much she kept touching her nose I have a pretty good guess what it was. Not really a Keisha Cole fan but I really feel sad for her. And Im not looking down my nose at her cuz I can relate, I know back when I was growing up and when one of my Uncle's didnt come home for a few days, my cousins and I always knew where he would be- in the back of Bowen Homes with a brillo pad and a str8 shooter in his pocket. So thats nothing that major, its just that everyone knows her Mom and how she is, that mess has to be embarrasing
I don’t know if Frankie was “lifted” the night that I ran into her, but I do remember the DJ introducing all three of them as guests then Frankie grabbed the mic and said “I know a lot of you all don’t like Keisha, but she’s the reason I’m standing here right now”. All I could think was “I‘ll take that up with Keisha when I see her in person”. Then Fantasia and KeKe starting singing on the mic- they were both amazing! It was a pleasant surprise to see all three of them.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:42 PM

744 posts, read 1,304,942 times
Quote:
Is that a John Mayer song?
Indeed it is. One of his many hits.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinablue View Post
Indeed it is. One of his many hits.
Yeah John Mayer is very talented.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:47 PM

8,468 posts, read 14,896,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Hmm, so that's exactly why they shifted the entire industry, sell millions of records, and shaped pop culture for the last 10 to 15 years. Oh, wait.

P.S.

You are aware that there is plenty of underground hip-hop Atlanta (most likely larger than anything in Minneapolis. LOL) and is one the genesis points for the neo-soul movement, right?

364 posts, read 713,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post

What's your point?? Most of the artists aren't even from the Twin Cities.
Matter of fact the most well known of them, MF Doom, is from London and now lives in NY. I know this because a good friend of mine (who is from Atlanta BTW) did some production for him not to long ago....try agin dude

1,885 posts, read 3,381,682 times
Quote:
Why do you think I was so quick to make sure people knew that Keyshia Cole is originally from Oakland, CA and not New Jersey? Because I'm from New Jersey and we don't need that ghetto ass family reppin it lmao. That is one embarassing fam.
Don’t worry about it; I’ve seen plenty of ghetto-bunnies/smokers around your neck of the woods too-lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City