Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 08:20 AM

2,563 posts, read 6,028,827 times

Advertisements

Fine Art is most commonly defined as: painting, sculpture, installation, Calligraphy, music, dance, theatre, architecture, photography and printmaking.

To not include Miami above most of those listed is nonsense. The location of the art deco movement, home of arguably the best school of Jazz in the country (#2 according to rankings), best Latin music in the country, both major universities have modern dance and the Cesar Pelli theater hosts some of the nation's top rated dance and opera and is the second largest performing arts center in the Nation after the Lincoln Center, Florida film festival started in Orlando but has a strong presence now in Miami, Latin American Film festival takes place, graphic design and print making is huge in Miami especially when you consider the fashion industry, the Miami Art Museum is a great museum and is currently getting a new building by Herzog and DeMeuron one of the world's top architects (they've already done one building in Miami), Wolfsonian Museum, Wynwood Art District, Fashion Week, Winter Music Festival, Design and Architecture Senior High aka DASH (an art magnet high school rated the 15th best high school in the nation)

I'm not saying Miami should be top of the list but there's no way it can be ignored on this list. I don't know where exactly I'd put it but probably in the #6 spot bumping everything down and Cleveland off. While there are some better museums Miami is arguably one of the most influential cities for fine art and I think that makes it a tad higher than those others.

Oh I was referring to the list right above this one so:
1. New York
2. Chicago
3. Boston
4. Los Angeles
5. Washington
6. Miami
7. San Francisco
8. Minneapolis
9. Houston
10. Philadelphia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 08:25 AM

Hmm I might even put Miami above Washington - Washington has the best Museums and Libraries by far but they're not nearly as influential in contemporary art.

1. New York
2. Chicago
3. Boston
4. Los Angeles
5. Miami
6. Washington

7. San Francisco
8. Minneapolis
9. Houston
10. Philadelphia

Old 05-27-2010, 08:27 AM

1,160 posts, read 2,946,824 times
1. New York
2. Chicago
3. Boston
4. Los Angeles
5. Washington
6. San Francisco
7. Philadelphia
8. Houston
9. Cleveland
10. Minneapolis

Old 05-27-2010, 09:06 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,035,704 times
I don't think Miami offers a better arts scene the Houston.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I don't think Miami offers a better arts scene the Houston.
I was considering raising Houston as well actually but just don't know enough about there. But my questions on Houston are:

1. How influential is it? I don't know of any major conferences that are known in Houston like NY Fashion Week or Miami Fashion Week. Winter Music Conference, things of that nature. It could have it - I'm just not aware and no place seems to mention them.

2. I don't know of any art programs in Houston which would aid in its influence and status. A quick search and I still don't find any MFA. Rice has undergraduate but no graduate programs in their Visual and Dramatic Arts.

3. Houston doesn't have any really top architecture movements present or symbolic of the city or top architecture firms based in the city, that I am aware of. Are there any?

Really as far as influential is concerned UT-Austin is probably the most influential art city while Houston has more theater and performing arts centers than almost anywhere. But at least in my mind I have to consider both for this list since nobody specified one or the other. If Austin was in the Houston Metro it would definitely be much higher.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:53 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,530,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
Hmm I might even put Miami above Washington - Washington has the best Museums and Libraries by far but they're not nearly as influential in contemporary art.
I am admittedly not nearly as familiar with Miami's arts scene, but DC does have the East Wing of the National Gallery, as well as the Hirschorn, both of which are dedicated entirely to contemporary art.

Plus, the Hirschorn will have a giant bubble--a very un-DC type of thing!

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/b..._01_small1.jpg

Old 05-27-2010, 11:03 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,864,801 times
Quote:
I was considering raising Houston as well actually but just don't know enough about there. But my questions on Houston are:

1. How influential is it? I don't know of any major conferences that are known in Houston like NY Fashion Week or Miami Fashion Week. Winter Music Conference, things of that nature. It could have it - I'm just not aware and no place seems to mention them.

2. I don't know of any art programs in Houston which would aid in its influence and status. A quick search and I still don't find any MFA. Rice has undergraduate but no graduate programs in their Visual and Dramatic Arts.

3. Houston doesn't have any really top architecture movements present or symbolic of the city or top architecture firms based in the city, that I am aware of. Are there any?

Really as far as influential is concerned UT-Austin is probably the most influential art city while Houston has more theater and performing arts centers than almost anywhere. But at least in my mind I have to consider both for this list since nobody specified one or the other. If Austin was in the Houston Metro it would definitely be much higher.
Are we talking about fashion or art (as in art museums, etc.)? If we're talking about art museums, then Houston is WAY ahead of Austin and I'd put it ahead of Miami. Look up the Houston Museum District. The Houston Theater District is separate and in Downtown (second to NYC in theater seats in a DT area).

1. New York
2. Chicago
3. Boston
4. Los Angeles
5. Washington
6. San Francisco
7. Houston
8. Philadelphia
9. Cleveland
10. Minneapolis

Old 05-27-2010, 11:14 AM

515 posts, read 981,445 times
Quote:
Fine Art is most commonly defined as: painting, sculpture, installation, Calligraphy, music, dance, theatre, architecture, photography and printmaking.

To not include Miami above most of those listed is nonsense. The location of the art deco movement, home of arguably the best school of Jazz in the country (#2 according to rankings), best Latin music in the country, both major universities have modern dance and the Cesar Pelli theater hosts some of the nation's top rated dance and opera and is the second largest performing arts center in the Nation after the Lincoln Center, Florida film festival started in Orlando but has a strong presence now in Miami, Latin American Film festival takes place, graphic design and print making is huge in Miami especially when you consider the fashion industry, the Miami Art Museum is a great museum and is currently getting a new building by Herzog and DeMeuron one of the world's top architects (they've already done one building in Miami), Wolfsonian Museum, Wynwood Art District, Fashion Week, Winter Music Festival, Design and Architecture Senior High aka DASH (an art magnet high school rated the 15th best high school in the nation)

I'm not saying Miami should be top of the list but there's no way it can be ignored on this list. I don't know where exactly I'd put it but probably in the #6 spot bumping everything down and Cleveland off. While there are some better museums Miami is arguably one of the most influential cities for fine art and I think that makes it a tad higher than those others.

Oh I was referring to the list right above this one so:
1. New York
2. Chicago
3. Boston
4. Los Angeles
5. Washington
6. Miami
7. San Francisco
8. Minneapolis
9. Houston
10. Philadelphia
Herzog & DeMeuron actually already designed the deYoung Museum in San Francisco: Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco: de Young | Legion of Honor

I'm slightly surprised San Francisco that is so low on many people's lists, it actually has a pretty amazing collection of museums.

Other notable museums include:
San Francisco MoMa: San Francisco Museum of Modern Art (SFMOMA)
California Academy of Science (not entirely art, but an amazing museum): California Academy of Sciences - San Francisco Museum and Planetarium - Bay Area Natural History Museum

Additionally, I'm surprised that Washington DC is so low on many people's lists...

Old 05-27-2010, 11:16 AM

36,628 posts, read 67,146,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
I kinda think that Los Angeles somewhat lacks in the fine arts department.
Well, as far as museums, Los Angeles is stil the best in the west but SF has been in the art scene headlines more lately due to several impressive additions.

Anyway,
Based on museums, art galleries, opera, ballet and symphonies as well as the events(parties, galas) that surround them, I would rank the cities as follows based on the overall scene.

1 New York
2-tie Chicago
2-tie San Francisco
3-tie Boston
3-tie Los Angeles
6 Washington DC
7-tie Dallas
7-tie Philadelphia
9 Houston
10 Miami

I will admit, Im more interested in the parties and galas than I am about the actual art-so Im biased in that sense. But I usually go to these things(used to go all the time-not so much now) to network and see whose wearing what. LOL

Old 05-27-2010, 11:19 AM

36,628 posts, read 67,146,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post

I'm slightly surprised San Francisco that is so low on many people's lists, it actually has a pretty amazing collection of museums.

Other notable museums include:
San Francisco MoMa: San Francisco Museum of Modern Art (SFMOMA)
California Academy of Science (not entirely art, but an amazing museum): California Academy of Sciences - San Francisco Museum and Planetarium - Bay Area Natural History Museum
Yes, SF has been making lots of waves on the museum scene lately-the new DeYoung is spectacular.

SFMOMA has also been given the Fisher Collection which is the biggest contemporary arts endowment in the past decade.

Its all about the wealthy socialites. Wherever there are lots of socialites, the arts scene will benefit greatly and SF has one of the biggest concentration of hoity-toitys around.

And they are the biggest patrons of the arts.

And as far as opera, ballet and symphonies-pfft. Forget about it. SF is one of the top 3 cities in that regard imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City