Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 08:19 AM

2,563 posts, read 6,029,241 times

Advertisements

... did you even read the Source? Its not based solely on rider numbers. Maybe you should try reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 08:39 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,530,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
... did you even read the Source?
Well, you stated that the rankings you provided were "based more on daily riders", so my question was in response to that. Instead of getting all uppity (pretty much like you've been throughout this entire thread), how about providing the page in the 135 page PDF document that the rankings you included appear on? That's far more courteous than simply dropping in a link and stating "read this".

Old 05-28-2010, 08:42 AM

27,233 posts, read 28,308,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
What is the value in comparing gross numbers of riders?
Great way to boost your city? LOL.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
Well, you stated that the rankings you provided were "based more on daily riders", so my question was in response to that. Instead of getting all uppity (pretty much like you've been throughout this entire thread), how about providing the page in the 135 page PDF document that the rankings you included appear on? That's far more courteous than simply dropping in a link and stating "read this".
Based more on daily riders does not mean based exclusively on daily riders.

The entire document is relevant to this thread, you should thus read the entire document. If you want my summary I compiled from their findings the top 20 metro areas. Either accept the work I already did or go read it and come up with your own results.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Great way to boost your city? LOL.
My city has not even been mentioned in this thread but thanks for playing.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:04 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,878,424 times
Quote:
Based more on daily riders does not mean based exclusively on daily riders.

The entire document is relevant to this thread, you should thus read the entire document. If you want my summary I compiled from their findings the top 20 metro areas. Either accept the work I already did or go read it and come up with your own results.
Or, we'll just reject the work as suspect based upon your demonstrated lack of logical reasoning, and refusal to offer a meaningful data citation.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:24 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,042,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
That is the thing, most people DO consider Baltimore part of DC's metro... it is constantly included on this board. Myself, I couldn't really care much about the metro or burbs, Chicago is Chicago, DC is DC, Baltimore is Baltimore, Milwaukee is Milwaukee, SF is SF, San Jose is San Jose, they all have totally different feels and entities unto themselves.
I totally agree with you 100% here and I'd rep you if I could. I'm so sick of having to look up figures for MSA's and CSA's when I couldn't care less about the suburban areas of cities. I have never lived in a suburb and I will never live in a suburb (unless you count places like St. Paul or Oakland as suburbs), so why do I need to know about them? I thought this was City vs. City, but it has long since devolved into CSA vs. CSA.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:26 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,042,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Percentage seems like the more logical way of answering the question doesn't it?
Why is that more logical when NYC's mass transit system serves BOTH the greatest number of passengers AND the highest % of commuters? Perhaps the OP should have been more clear as to which figure he/she was going for. Chicago's system serves the 2nd greatest number of passengers, while DC's serves the 2nd highest % of commuters.

IMO, highest % of commuters using public transportation doesn't tell you everything about a city's system. Obviously DC, SF, Boston, and Philly have great transit infrastructure, but technically a small city like Tuscon or Madison could have the highest % of commuters using only the city's bus system. So I think ridership and system capacity need to be factored in as well. Don't you think it's impressive that despite being the 3rd largest metro area in the country (10 mil vs 14 mil in LA), that Chicago still manages to serve the 2nd greatest number of commuters everyday? Also, when B'more gets factored into DC's CSA, then Chicago has a higher % of commuters (but still less than SF/Boston) AND moves a greater number of passengers than all systems besides NYC. Which is why I think it should be considered #2 because it's so well-rounded.

One more thing to add: Chicago has the only mass transit system besides NYC that operates 24/7

Old 05-28-2010, 09:33 AM

515 posts, read 981,524 times
Quote:
Fine based more on daily riders than on the transit's innovation and modernity...

Here are the top 20 metros for public transportation in order:
1. New York City
2. Chicago
3. Los Angeles
4. San Francisco
5. Washington D.C.
6. Boston
7. Philadelphia
8. Seattle
9. Atlanta
10. Miami
11. Baltimore
12. San Diego
13. Houston
14. Dallas-Ft.Worth
15. Denver
16. Portland
17. Minneapolis-St. Paul
18. Honolulu
19. Detroit
20. Salt Lake City

Source: 2009 Urban Mobility Report, TTI (Search Results: (http://tti.tamu.edu/documents/mobility_report_2009_wappx.pdf) - broken link)
I don't have time to read through the source, however I have a hard time believing a study that ranks Washington DC below Los Angeles and San Francisco -- and this is coming from someone who grew up in the Bay Area.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:38 AM

16 posts, read 68,851 times
I'm definately not going to rate Chicago's that high. The L feels slow, rickety, is mostly above ground and non-enclosed (which sucks in winter) and the last few years it has been run poorly by the CTA resulting in many stoppages and delays. They need to get their act together before it's ranked up there with some others. I've never thought much of the bus system in Chicago either. Seedy? Slow? Not sure who does these rankings and how they determine. I just base it on personal experience compared to other cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City