Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Charlotte VS Houston:which would you rather live in and why?
Houston Texas 155 61.02%
Charlotte 99 38.98%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 04:35 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,042,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
in what way?
It doesn't interfere with traffic like Metro does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 04:36 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,695,075 times
does the houston metro go anywhere? how many lines exist? where does it go? does it serve a lot of the community?

Old 05-28-2010, 04:43 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,777,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
does the houston metro go anywhere? how many lines exist? where does it go? does it serve a lot of the community?
Right now it only serves downtown, museum district / Rice Univ area, Medical Center, etc.

15,982 posts, read 35,042,168 times
Quote:

does the houston metro go anywhere?
Yes

how many lines exist?

where does it go?

Downtown, Midtown, and TMC.

does it serve a lot of the community?

Hell no lol
^^^^^

2,023 posts, read 4,168,966 times
Quote:
Right now, it's just about a seven mile stretch of line going down Main St. but it does go through TMC, the Museum District, the Theater District, Midtown, and downtown. It's pretty efficient for just a seven mile stretch of light rail. It has been pretty successful to the point that the city is adding 4 lines and all but one (the Uptown line) will be inside the 610 Loop. So needless to say, it's going change the city quite a bit.

Old 05-28-2010, 05:11 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,260,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
I'm curious to this as well. Perhaps the user was going by the bigger is better philosophy that many people incorrectly follow.

Charlotte's LRT is certainly effective on a national level and is ~2 miles longer than Houston's, but Houston's LRT has 2X the riders/mile.
Given that Houstons city population is about 3X that of Charlotte, I would expect it to have a higher ridership. And I actually didn't know that Charlotte's LRT was longer. I was under the impression that Houstons LRT was ginormous, but I think I may have confused that with Phoenix, I think that one is about 30 miles. Don't ask how I got Phoenix and Houston mixed up.

Old 05-28-2010, 05:15 PM

10,138 posts, read 15,939,206 times
Quote:
It's got 1 line right now in existence. 7.5 miles.

The plans to extend it which has started construction is to add 4 more lines to the existing. And to extend the current line by .5 miles as well.

In the end after the construction is over, it will be nearly 73-82 miles (depending on the minimum or maximum of their plans), and most of it will serve the inner loop of Houston.

There are also plans to get commuter rail set and going after the completion of the Light Rail extension.

Hey, Houston's not the best for public transportation. But it's making changes to satisfy the people of it's city.

Old 05-28-2010, 05:19 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,168,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
Given that Houstons city population is about 3X that of Charlotte, I would expect it to have a higher ridership. And I actually didn't know that Charlotte's LRT was longer. I was under the impression that Houstons LRT was ginormous, but I think I may have confused that with Phoenix, I think that one is about 30 miles. Don't ask how I got Phoenix and Houston mixed up.
You might have been thinking of Dallas.

Old 05-28-2010, 05:29 PM

166 posts, read 375,046 times
I'd have to go with Houston
Much better shopping, nightlife, activities, diversity, job base, and closer to the coastline.

Old 05-28-2010, 05:52 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,072,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
It doesn't interfere with traffic like Metro does.
So what? That apparently hasn't affected ridership nor has it made traffic along the rail unbearable, as people now adapted and take alternative routes. Houston system serves as model of putting a line to where to people actually work instead of a public transportation boondoggle like Dallas has going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
Houston, being a city of generally low density has stuck with a bus public transportation system. With the growth that has been occurring the Houston's inner core it has decided to expand the LRT, adding about 4X the track.

It's not safe to assume anything about LRT ridership as Buffalo, NY has the nations 3rd most effective LRT, behind Boston and Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City