Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Charlotte VS Houston:which would you rather live in and why?
Houston Texas 155 61.02%
Charlotte 99 38.98%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 05:06 PM

582 posts, read 1,175,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I never said I was from Charleston. Even so, people move there all the time from larger places and quite enjoy themselves.

My point was that it's still a huge difference in size, so you can't really make a blanket assertion that most people coming from larger metros will dislike significantly smaller ones.

I'm not disrespecting your opinion at all, but it's just a little dumbfounding without any context. But it is what it is. I just think some people haven't truly explored all that the city offers or didn't develop a social circle that allowed them to enjoy the city more. And some people have, but it still wasn't their cup of tea. Different strokes for different folks.

And you said in your earlier post that "Phoenix made Charlotte look boring." Was that supposed to be some sort of slam? Phoenix is twice the size of Charlotte and its desert surroundings provides amenities that Charlotte lacks due to geography (i.e., golfing, spas/resorts, etc.). It's only natural that Phoenix would provide more to do than Charlotte, so I'm not sure if I get that criticism.
Everyone has their own opinion and I stand by mine of stating Charlotte is boring. Of course I would take Houston if given these two options and there is no need for us to continue debating on "is Charlotte boring" because its preference.

Here is a fun fact though with some calculations.

34 percent of Americans live in one of the top 11 metros, which means 6 million people or more (ny, la, Chicago, DC, SF, Boston, Philly, Dallas, Houston, Mia, ATL).

47 percent of Americans live in a top 23 metro, which are all above Charlotte. Charlotte places 24th when the new Csa's come out.

As you can see Charlotte looks average or mediocre when 57 percent if Americans live in a larger metro.

Anyways, have a good day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 05:08 PM

209 posts, read 459,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
Everyone has their own opinion and I stand by mine of stating Charlotte is boring. Of course I would take Houston if given these two options and there is no need for us to continue debating on "is Charlotte boring" because its preference.

Here is a fun fact though with some calculations.

34 percent of Americans live in one of the top 11 metros, which means 6 million people or more (ny, la, Chicago, DC, SF, Boston, Philly, Dallas, Houston, Mia, ATL).

47 percent if Americans live in a top 23 metro, which are all above Charlotte. Charlotte places 24th when the new Csa's come out.

As you can see Charlotte looks average or mediocre when 57 percent if Americans live in a larger metro.

Anyways, have a good day.
Wrong. Charlotte is now number 23 respectively.
List of Metropolitan Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by georgia2012; 03-15-2013 at 05:17 PM..

Old 03-15-2013, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia2012 View Post
WRONG, go back and reread what I stated! I stated CSA and you are linking me to MSA.

Charlotte will be 24th when the CSA comes out.

Old 03-15-2013, 05:15 PM

Quote:
WRONG, go back and reread what I stated! I stated CSA and you are linking me to MSA.

Haha, CSA's? Really?

MSA's are much more common to use and makes way more sense, which is why I linked you to it.

Why only the 23 largest? Why not 24 or 25? Because you find every possible way to downgrade Charlotte. Nice try though.

Old 03-15-2013, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia2012 View Post
Haha, CSA's? Really?

MSA's are much more common to use and makes way more sense, which is why I linked you to it.

Why only the 23 largest? Why not 24 or 25? Because you find every possible way to downgrade Charlotte. Nice try though.
You find every way possible to boosts it and act as if its a world class. You try to cherry pick everything just to argue and seriously was trying to argue over one spot with me.

I only have a desire to conversate with people capable of typing complete sentences, on my ignore now.

Have a nice day.

Old 03-15-2013, 05:31 PM

Quote:
You find every way possible to boosts it and act as if its a world class. You try to cherry pick everything just to argue and seriously was trying to argue over one spot with me.

I only have a desire to conversate with people capable if typing complete sentences, on my ignore now.

Have a nice day.
You stated 47% live in a top 23 metro.
Metro= Metropolitan Area
List of Metropolitan Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Then you went on to all of a sudden mention CSA's and stopped at number 23 when Charlotte is number 24. Omg, what a coincidence!

Regardless of what point you're trying to make about CSA's, no one simply picks the number 23. You obviously picked 23 to knock Charlotte out by one, which is ridiculous.

Give your anti-Charlotte attitude a break because you're making yourself look delusional.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:32 PM

37,792 posts, read 41,479,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonguy83 View Post
LOL @ this comparison. Houston is twice the size, has a better economy. Charlotte is extremely boring, the food is not diverse nor is the people because it's in the deep south. Charlotte is just all black and white. The accents are as country as it gets, straight out of a farm.
Oh OK.

And you really need to quit with this "deep South" stuff, because guess what? Texas is in the Deep South--as is Atlanta and New Orleans. So are they boring with non-diverse food and people? And once again, NC is not a Deep South state, and the only part of the state that's akin to the Deep South physiographically is eastern NC.

I really shouldn't even waste my time with people who don't even have an intelligent leg to stand on when it comes to these topics.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:37 PM

37,792 posts, read 41,479,186 times
Quote:

I only have a desire to conversate with people capable of typing complete sentences, on my ignore now.

Have a nice day.
OK, on this fact, I have to side with georgia2012. It does seem pretty arbitrary to only count all of the metros ahead of Charlotte when Charlotte is in the top 25, which is a pretty common cut-off number. I know Charlotte isn't your cup of tea, but I don't think you're giving it its full due here.

Old 03-16-2013, 01:56 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,182,277 times
Quote:
What is so hard for the two of you to understand people find Charlotte boring? I lived in four metros larger than Charlotte, I found it to be boring. For anyone coming from a large urban area, Charlotte is more than likely going to be boring. Not everyone was raised in a small metro under a million or some random Podunk town in NC and then moves to Charlotte to think its the big time. I'm not trying to be rude, but I find it hard to think anyone could get excited over living in Charlotte, its average at absolute best for amenities.
I understand what you are saying. Charlotte is small and quaint compared to the great cities of the US and even compared to Houston. A poster in this thread however was comparing Charlotte to El Paso, and its not opinion but fact that Charlotte is well above El Paso.

Old 03-16-2013, 02:54 PM

1,037 posts, read 2,038,354 times
Quote:

If you really think Charlotte is only average at best when it comes to amenities then you are dilusional. As much as Houston is treated as a stepchild on this forum you have the nerve to bash Charlotte??!! Ok
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City