Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 08:27 PM

91,948 posts, read 122,044,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
I would assume that New York and other Great Lakes states can tap into more potential for that.
True and I believe the Niagara Falls area has a ridiculous amount of potential in that part of the energy industry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 08:30 PM

10,138 posts, read 15,928,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
True and I believe the Niagara Falls area has a ridiculous amount of potential in that part of the energy industry.
It truly does. The Canadians I know for a fact tap into that as a power source for some of the nearby cities. It doesn't completely power a city up, but it's sufficient amount of energy.

I don't know for sure if New York has tried to same.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:51 PM

91,948 posts, read 122,044,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
It truly does. The Canadians I know for a fact tap into that as a power source for some of the nearby cities. It doesn't completely power a city up, but it's sufficient amount of energy.

I don't know for sure if New York has tried to same.
Supposedly, the power from that part of the state goes to much of Downstate NY. So, it is put to use and I believe the State's Power Authority has some input as to how it is used.

Old 05-29-2010, 08:59 AM

1,604 posts, read 3,869,527 times
Two interesting facts that I'll need to try and dig up the articles to.

1. There is enough wind energy of the coast of NJ to power the entire state via off shore wind farms
2. Someone at my school (NJIT) did a project that determined it is possible for NYC to harness the power of the rivers flowing through it and that there should be enough power to power all of the city, and then some.

Old 05-30-2010, 11:08 AM

2,347 posts, read 2,771,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post

It's very interesting
I'm surprised because I don't see California, but I guess its wind/biomass potential is weak, just a strong solar potential.
Texas is very promising about this, it will have a bright future.
This is just potential, it doesn't really mean more than that. Unfortunately. The real story is the following post, and seems dubious at best-Texas is still dominated by money-hording oil companies. It might be full of potential, but so is a bowling ball sitting on a table top. Get it, kinectic energy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Well, first of all, that report doesnt seem to include all states, and furthermore, its a website promoting investment in TX biomass so its very biased. Nothing wrong with that but you should pick a better source.

And as far as California,
The New York Times reported that the American Council for an Energy Efficient Economy named California the #1 most energy efficient state.

Shifts in Annual Energy Efficiency Rankings - Green Blog - NYTimes.com
I had heard repeatedly that California on the west, and Massachusetts on the east are leading the way in green energy-this just proves it.

I can't speak directly for Cali, but Nova just did a special episode on green energy in the state.

But Massachusetts will soon be home to Cape Wind-the first off shore windfarm in the nation. [regardless of what the older cape codders say, it will be built, they'll get used to it, all the younger generations are for it.] Massachusetts will also soon to be home to several north american divisions of european companies who are breaking into the market here on this side of the atlantic, with the construction of one of the largest testing facilities in the world, by Siemens. Plus there are a host of local companies, such as one in my town-FloDesign-an awarding winning turbine factory-known for super efficient designs.

This is only the beginning.

Old 05-30-2010, 11:22 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,750,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Well, first of all, that report doesnt seem to include all states, and furthermore, its a website promoting investment in TX biomass so its very biased. Nothing wrong with that but you should pick a better source.

And as far as California,
The New York Times reported that the American Council for an Energy Efficient Economy named California the #1 most energy efficient state.

Shifts in Annual Energy Efficiency Rankings - Green Blog - NYTimes.com
I'm surprised Massachusetts and Connecticut are #'s 2&3

Old 05-30-2010, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
I'm surprised Massachusetts and Connecticut are #'s 2&3
Why? read my post above yours. It's not surprising at all. Massachusetts has all the human capital to make it happen--it is happening.

Old 05-30-2010, 11:38 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,750,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
Why? read my post above yours. It's not surprising at all. Massachusetts has all the human capital to make it happen--it is happening.
I was just unaware.

Old 05-30-2010, 11:42 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,338,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
This is just potential, it doesn't really mean more than that. Unfortunately. The real story is the following post, and seems dubious at best-Texas is still dominated by money-hording oil companies. It might be full of potential, but so is a bowling ball sitting on a table top. Get it, kinectic energy.

I had heard repeatedly that California on the west, and Massachusetts on the east are leading the way in green energy-this just proves it.

I can't speak directly for Cali, but Nova just did a special episode on green energy in the state.

But Massachusetts will soon be home to Cape Wind-the first off shore windfarm in the nation. [regardless of what the older cape codders say, it will be built, they'll get used to it, all the younger generations are for it.] Massachusetts will also soon to be home to several north american divisions of european companies who are breaking into the market here on this side of the atlantic, with the construction of one of the largest testing facilities in the world, by Siemens. Plus there are a host of local companies, such as one in my town-FloDesign-an awarding winning turbine factory-known for super efficient designs.

This is only the beginning.

But Texas is the king of wind power, so it's a leader in green energy
In Houston 35% of energy businesses are specialized in green energy (no oil or gas)

Old 05-30-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
But Texas is the king of wind power, so it's a leader in green energy
In Houston 35% of energy businesses are specialized in green energy (no oil or gas)
well, wouldn't THAT be reflected in the Times article?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City