Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 01:59 PM
TT1

148 posts, read 438,324 times

Advertisements

I love JFK, SFO and LAX because they have luxury boutiques (tax free!)

Visually, they're all pitiful compared to the big airports I've been through in Asia, but they're good for US-airport standards.

But it's nice to be able to purchase Hermes luxury goods while at the airport like I've done at JFK.

The ugliest airport I've ever been to was New Orleans MSY. LaGuardia is a mess too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 02:19 PM

2,413 posts, read 5,720,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Absolutely. The only thing Tampa needs is a direct rail link to Westshore and Downtown.

Tampa has been widely recognized as very user friendly since the day it opened.
Your right, the biggest problem is its connection to downtown. Public transit is weak, and the current interstates are under a lot of construction. Tampa has been getting serious about light rail though. I have looked at all the maps for the proposed rail lines, and in all of them, TIA is linked very well to the rest of the city, especially downtown.

Old 05-28-2010, 02:21 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,146,662 times
I like MIA, a lot of people think it's hectic and crazy but it's a pretty nice place, they are doing construction on it as well. Also they are including the Grand Central Station right next to it. Ofcourse I like JFK as well, I would like to see what LAX is like some day. Orlando has one of the nicest airports in the country and I also enjoy Tampa International. LaGuardia is nice but I like JFK more. IMO though airports really don't matter when talking about like amenities and things like that, the only problem you might run into is bad customer service but besides that how much time do you actually plan on spending IN the airport? It's not supposed to be a mall, it's just supposed to get people from one place to another.

Old 05-28-2010, 02:27 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,429,426 times
For a medium-sized airport that isn't a hub, the Portland airport is pretty good. You can get there directly on the MAX train from downtown--plus they've got a few decent stores including branches of the local mega bookstore Powell's. Food choices aren't that bad either---I like to get a beer and some German food at Gustav's while I'm waiting for a flight.

I also dig JFK--at least the new JetBlue terminal---it's pretty swanky with highend bars and such.

Old 05-28-2010, 02:30 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,939,800 times
Ronald Reagan National Airport - D.C.
JFK - NYC

Old 05-28-2010, 02:31 PM

10,138 posts, read 15,928,719 times
The very first time I felt like an airport is lively outside of Chicago was when I went to Atlanta in May of 1999. I loved the food, the airport was nice. It was lively, and I like that about an airport.

Old 05-28-2010, 02:48 PM

14,169 posts, read 22,574,016 times
At one point, Pittsburgh International Airport was rated the best in the U.S., and third-best in the world, by Conde Nast Traveler. Then US Airways de-hubbed. Last I've heard, PIT is still at or near the top of customer satisfaction rankings among major U.S. airports.

Old 06-03-2010, 05:34 PM

307 posts, read 797,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT1 View Post
The ugliest airport I've ever been to was New Orleans MSY.
Not much to look at is it? Pretty much NO food or shopping opportunities either...a Smoothie King, a bad "Cajun" fast food place, and a bar. No real chain restaurants or any kind of shopping other than a shop with magazines and candy.

Coolest airports I can remember were Hamburg Germany (seemed HUGE), Toronto, and I also liked Atlanta for the short time I was there.

Old 06-16-2010, 05:18 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,772,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Hard to believe the place is 40 years old now.
UH ... the ATL terminal is 30 (thirty) years old; opened in 1980.

Old 06-16-2010, 05:38 AM

1,416 posts, read 3,195,846 times
Mco
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City