Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 12:10 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,750,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Me too, I've never been to Tampa's but I love Orlando's airport.

I like that little train thing that goes over the water and you can see that island full of Palm trees if you look down.
Orlando is much bigger, newer, and "nicer" as it's far more modern and updated.

But Tampa's is a nice airport; it's older, but the layout, I think, is neat and simple. They have nice, big, open spaces, some palm trees inside as well as outside, and they operate very well - good service, good workers. It's just an interesting airport because you can tell it's older but it doesn't feel very outdated and it's still nice. I'm very impressed that they pull that off; it's even more impressive than Orlando in that way, because Orlando just throws tons of money around to make their airport so nice (and understandably so because they are such a tourist mecca, they need an airport that's top-notch).

And it's in a great location for that area, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 12:26 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,909,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
^Great shots, OrlFlaUsa! Since I like to fly Delta, that's the part of the terminal I always see. What a welcoming gateway after a flight, imo.
Thank you. I fly Southwest with my company so I get a very nice tile mosaic view that (I wish I had taken a picture of) in the airside terminal. You always feel bad taking pictures in an airport so I snapped what I could.

Old 06-17-2010, 03:52 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,591,902 times
Give me an airport with tons of international flights and multiple flights a day to international cities, over a "pretty" airport. I would rather NOT have a layover flying somewhere, than flying out of a "pretty" smaller airport. How long are you in the airport for anyway?

I am landing in JFK tonight. It may not be the prettiest, but I am jealous my daughters live so close to an airport that has the most international flights.

Old 06-17-2010, 04:24 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,146,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Give me an airport with tons of international flights and multiple flights a day to international cities, over a "pretty" airport. I would rather NOT have a layover flying somewhere, than flying out of a "pretty" smaller airport. How long are you in the airport for anyway?

I am landing in JFK tonight. It may not be the prettiest, but I am jealous my daughters live so close to an airport that has the most international flights.
I actually made a point about that in an earlier post. I said that an airport isn't supposed to be like a mall, it's just supposed to get you to and from a certain place. I don't mind a "pretty" airport, just as long as it also has international flights, pretty much best of both worlds.

Old 06-17-2010, 04:47 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,909,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
I actually made a point about that in an earlier post. I said that an airport isn't supposed to be like a mall, it's just supposed to get you to and from a certain place. I don't mind a "pretty" airport, just as long as it also has international flights, pretty much best of both worlds.
Wouldn't you agree that Orlando International is both? If we were talking about Greenville Spartanburg Intl. or Asheville Regional being pretty but not servicing lots of places then I understand.But we have both luxuries, just saying.

Old 06-17-2010, 05:28 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,146,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Wouldn't you agree that Orlando International is both? If we were talking about Greenville Spartanburg Intl. or Asheville Regional being pretty but not servicing lots of places then I understand.But we have both luxuries, just saying.
Yes, Orlando is definitely up there, it has to be, with all of the travelers that come through every year.

Old 06-17-2010, 06:22 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,284,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post

Most people aren't fortunate to live near such an airport, as there are really only a handful that meet this criteria. Most people only fly internationally very seldomly, if ever. Having a beautiful airport (like Orlando) is an asset to the community, despite the number of international flights (which Orlando has no shortage of).

I know you fly back and forth to NY from SW Florida a lot, but honestly - when was your last international flight? And you do realize that you are an easy drive from the 2nd most well connected international airport (MIA), right?

Old 06-17-2010, 06:26 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,846,374 times
I really liked Atlanta's. DC's was also nice.

Old 06-17-2010, 06:29 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,639,175 times
Thats why I love Orlando's airport, Its very nice modern big and has a lot of shops resturants a hotel etc and it has a ton of international flights.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orlando...d_destinations

Old 06-17-2010, 07:17 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,591,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Most people aren't fortunate to live near such an airport, as there are really only a handful that meet this criteria. Most people only fly internationally very seldomly, if ever. Having a beautiful airport (like Orlando) is an asset to the community, despite the number of international flights (which Orlando has no shortage of).

I know you fly back and forth to NY from SW Florida a lot, but honestly - when was your last international flight? And you do realize that you are an easy drive from the 2nd most well connected international airport (MIA), right?

2 hours is not close. Miami has mostly flights to the caribbean and places further south. I like going NORTH. Anyway, it's nice how JFK has public transport to it. We would have to drive and park to/in Miami.

I do fly internationally often. My husband goes to business meetings in Europe about 5-6 times a year and I go with him sometimes.

I have flown into Orlando many times for layovers when I take Southwest into Islip. The airport is no big deal. Having a "pretty" airport isn't a great asset to a city. How many people really care about what an airport looks like? Half the people who fly just go straight to the gate and wait for their flight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City