Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 07:26 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,639,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
2 hours is not close. Miami has mostly flights to the caribbean and places further south. I like going NORTH. Anyway, it's nice how JFK has public transport to it. We would have to drive and park to/in Miami.

I do fly internationally often. My husband goes to business meetings in Europe about 5-6 times a year and I go with him sometimes.

I have flown into Orlando many times for layovers when I take Southwest into Islip. The airport is no big deal. Having a "pretty" airport isn't a great asset to a city. How many people really care about what an airport looks like? Half the people who fly just go straight to the gate and wait for their flight.
Its good for a city to have nice airport. It doesn't have to be Amazing, but airports need up to date amenities so that the traveler has a good expierience and the least anount of hassels as possible. And there is noting wrong with an airport being attractive and welcoming to top things off. Enviroment effects the mood of people more than you would think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 07:31 PM

128 posts, read 271,884 times
I've read that Houston's IAH is one of the most on-time airports in the US, and it's definitely one of the biggest as well. I've thought all of the parts I have been in were very good looking and extremely clean as well.

Old 06-17-2010, 07:32 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,284,505 times
Quote:
2 hours is not close. Miami has mostly flights to the caribbean and places further south. I like going NORTH. Anyway, it's nice how JFK has public transport to it. We would have to drive and park to/in Miami.

I do fly internationally often. My husband goes to business meetings in Europe about 5-6 times a year and I go with him sometimes.

I have flown into Orlando many times for layovers when I take Southwest into Islip. The airport is no big deal. Having a "pretty" airport isn't a great asset to a city. How many people really care about what an airport looks like? Half the people who fly just go straight to the gate and wait for their flight.
You could not be more wrong about Miami and its flight offerings. Miami offers an excellent selection of flights to Europe. You would also have to drive to gain access to public transit if you lived two hours from JFK, wouldn't you?

You could not be more wrong about Orlando International being "no big deal." (You sound eerily like Rachael here). It's an award-winning design, and routinely ranks as one of the best airports out there. Millions of travelers would agree.

You could not be more wrong about a nice airport being an asset to a city. If that was the case, American and jetBlue would not have just spent hundreds of millions to "dress up" the pit known as JFK. Delta is next.

It sounds like all you really care about is bare-bones, utilitarian airports with no decent amenities. You would definately be in the minority on this.

I have a feeling that if Orlando International was in NY, you would be singing its praises all day long..................

Old 06-17-2010, 07:46 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,750,965 times
Quote:
Give me an airport with tons of international flights and multiple flights a day to international cities, over a "pretty" airport. I would rather NOT have a layover flying somewhere, than flying out of a "pretty" smaller airport. How long are you in the airport for anyway?

I am landing in JFK tonight. It may not be the prettiest, but I am jealous my daughters live so close to an airport that has the most international flights.
Newark is far better than JFK in the NYC metro.

Old 06-17-2010, 07:49 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,750,965 times
Quote:

Someone who flies internationally often (not to mention domestic from Fl to NYC) should be able to sell two properties he or she owns and move away from a place he or she claims to be an unliveable, intolerable hellhole.

Of course, some people just say things that they know aren't true...

Old 06-17-2010, 08:07 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,146,662 times
Quote:

MIA to JFK and vica versa is like the most popular flight in the country. Also, Miami Airport will have train stations in the future, they are doing construction on all of that right now.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:15 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,909,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
You could not be more wrong about Miami and its flight offerings. Miami offers an excellent selection of flights to Europe. You would also have to drive to gain access to public transit if you lived two hours from JFK, wouldn't you?
Good point.

Quote:
You could not be more wrong about Orlando International being "no big deal." (You sound eerily like Rachael here). It's an award-winning design, and routinely ranks as one of the best airports out there. Millions of travelers would agree.
Johnatl is right. Form and function have to be proportional to the city the airport serves. Gritty and unattractive seems to work in a place as busy as NY. OIA fits Orlando. But ATL is busier than JFK or LGA and they've pulled off great form and function and marta rail is there.

Quote:
I have a feeling that if Orlando International was in NY, you would be singing its praises all day long..................
Funny, yet true. Come on, it's a great airport form and function.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:44 PM

11,327 posts, read 20,240,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post

You could not be more wrong about a nice airport being an asset to a city. If that was the case, American and jetBlue would not have just spent hundreds of millions to "dress up" the pit known as JFK. Delta is next.

It sounds like all you really care about is bare-bones, utilitarian airports with no decent amenities. You would definately be in the minority on this.

Shoot I would be too, I'd go there everyday to just hang out.

LaGuardia is stale, Orlando Intl. blows me away every time. Haven't been to JFK in a while even though it was about 2 miles away from where I used to live (pure convenience lol). Never been to Newark.

I agree with your post 100%.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:34 PM

8,465 posts, read 14,896,767 times
I'm going to go a bit OT for a sec, but for several years I regularly flew overseas for business (for the record it sucked). When arriving, I greatly appreciated a clean and pretty Airport and ones that weren't made sitting on a plane for 15 hours suck even more. I will concede though that is not an absolute rule. De Gaulle and LAX are prime examples of that.

Some of my favorites outside the US are Haneda and Chiang Kai Shek. Domestically it's DTW, MSP and ATL. Admittedly, I probably like Hartsfield-Jackson because it meant I was home and done with 20 to 24 hours of hell, but the Jackson International Terminal is shaping up to be HOT:

Hunt Construction Group

Last edited by waronxmas; 06-17-2010 at 10:42 PM..

Old 06-17-2010, 10:41 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,583,506 times
The Beijing airport is really nice. It has the highest ceilings of any airport Ive ever been to.

The worst major airport I have been to is Guarulhos airport in Sao Paulo. Its like stepping back in time! Smaller airports that suck that I have been to include Liberia, Costa Rica (for being a barn) and Harare, Zimbabwe.

Domestically, I have to say I love DFW and San Francisco. I hate O'hare (even though it has an impressive list of destinations) and Miami (until the renovation is done anyway-once its finished, Ill give it another go round). The nice thing about being in DFW is that when I fly internationally, I never connect at another domestic airport. I can connect in Tokyo or Seoul for Asia, nonstop flights to most of South and Central America, and I connect in London, Paris, Frankfurt, Madrid, or Amsterdam for London, Africa, and the Middle East.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City