Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Santana Row vs. The Domain
Santana Row 14 70.00%
The Domain 6 30.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 06:54 PM

593 posts, read 1,755,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I have yet to go to any "Lifestyle Center" that doesnt feel fake to be honest. I mean, they try really hard to come off as pedestrian-oriented, but ultimately they are not the genuine article.

Perhaps if they incorporated these developments into their existing area instead of enclosing them, thus cutting them off from the surrounding areas, they might appear more "organic".

The silver lining about Santana Row is the gorgeous details in the design and the excellent shopping and really good restaurants. And across the street is Valley Fair, one of the nation's most upscale large malls.
Ive never been to either, but have been to similar-type places, and I couldnt agree more.

Downtown SJ isnt as flashy, and is certainly pretty weak for a 1+ million city, but it seemed like it has a lot of potential to develop into an organic vibrant urban environment.

As for things to do in SJ, the Tech museum is kind of cool...

But, yeah, even the outskirts of SF--hell, even downtown Palo Alto and Mountain View--feel more vibrant than much of San Jose right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 06:56 PM

10,138 posts, read 15,935,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcroJimmy2 View Post
Ive never been to either, but have been to similar-type places, and I couldnt agree more.

Downtown SJ isnt as flashy, and is certainly pretty weak for a 1+ million city, but it seemed like it has a lot of potential to develop into an organic vibrant urban environment.

As for things to do in SJ, the Tech museum is kind of cool...

But, yeah, even the outskirts of SF--hell, even downtown Palo Alto and Mountain View--feel more vibrant than much of San Jose right now.
The food options in downtown San Jose are pretty good, IMHO. I enjoyed it.

Old 05-29-2010, 10:49 AM

1,263 posts, read 3,995,142 times
The Domain also has Burberry, Louis Vuitton, Michael Kors, Stuart Weitzman, David Yurman (which doesn't have a store in the Bay area), Tiffany & Co. etc, though it doesn't have Gucci, Salvatore Ferragamore and Furla. I think as to being upscale, both are not megacenters but both are pretty good. Actually due to the fact that Santana Row is across the street from Valley Fair, it doesn't have as many choices as the domain. For upscale shopping in Santana Row, you might also want to check the mall across the street as it has all the department stores and Louis Vuitton, Hugo Boss, etc, while the Domain is more of the ultimate shopping destination for Austin with everything in one place, at least it strives to be so.

Quote:
Based on the pictures of the Domain that I just googled(never been there), it seems that it is similar to Santana Row(been there several times), but Santana Row seems a bit more upscale.

Santana Row has Gucci, Burberry of London, Salvatore Ferragamo, BCBGMaxAzria, Furla etc.

Old 05-29-2010, 11:32 AM

36,628 posts, read 67,146,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionguy View Post
The Domain also has Burberry, Louis Vuitton, Michael Kors, Stuart Weitzman, David Yurman (which doesn't have a store in the Bay area), Tiffany & Co. etc, though it doesn't have Gucci, Salvatore Ferragamore and Furla.
That is impressive.

I just looked-they have many of the same kinds of stores as SR. I guess they serve similar demographics.

Also, Stuart Weitzman and Tiffany and Co. are across the street from Santana Row at Valley Fair. Michael Kors is over at Stanford Shopping Center. And the Bay Area doesnt have a stand alone David Yurman store, but David Yurman's largest in-store Boutique is located inside SFs Bloomingdale's. Its actually larger than most of their stand alone stores.

Quote:
while the Domain is more of the ultimate shopping destination for Austin with everything in one place, at least it strives to be so.
Valley Fair was already long established as a premium shopping destination long before Santana Row was developed so in reality, Santana Row compliments the mall and not vice versa.

Also, Santana Row competes with not only Valley Fair across the street, but both of them vie with Stanford Shopping Center(Stanford Shopping Center is owned by Simon Malls-the company which owns the Domain), which has Neiman Marcus and Bloomingdales, as well as the likes of Zegna, Ralph Lauren, Cartier, Armani Exchange-along with some of the same stores as Valley Fair,i.e. Louis Vuitton, True Religion, Tiffany & Co. etc.

All this shopping talk makes me feel like spending money. LOL

good info btw.

Last edited by 18Montclair; 05-29-2010 at 11:41 AM..

Old 05-29-2010, 12:47 PM

153 posts, read 380,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I hate these kinds of places, why would I EVER go down to San Jose for that stuff when I can go into SF? Or actual organic small town boutique shopping in many of the bay area towns...
They both remind me too much of Florida.
I agree with Montclair on this, they feel utterly fake and I try to avoid them like the plague.

This must be for IT workers flying out to San Jose but are too busy programming that week and couldn't make it up to SF, but still wanted to bring their wife home some nice clothes or put somethin on the ol company expense account.

Nice thread style by the way, getting creative.
+1. Unfortunately so for such a large area.

Old 05-29-2010, 05:12 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,007,684 times
Quote:
Perhaps if they incorporated these developments into their existing area instead of enclosing them, thus cutting them off from the surrounding areas, they might appear more "organic".
or....perhaps they should build these sort of environments in actual DT areas instead of off a highway exit and across the street from a huge mall.
When I first went to Santana Row (at the behest of my SJ colleagues) I was like...WTF is this? I had been to actual DT San Jose a few times and immediately wondered why they didn't just build this concept in the real downtown and give the city's center some more life. Most sunbelt DT's have an area where they could build this sort of retail concept using or expanding on existing buildings, streets, etc. If it has to be new construction, at least make it relate to its surroundings on foot.

In the end, I'd much rather have integrated outdoor malls that relate to their surroundings like Lincoln Road in South Beach.

Old 06-15-2010, 02:38 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,291,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeusEx View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I hate these kinds of places, why would I EVER go down to San Jose for that stuff when I can go into SF? Or actual organic small town boutique shopping in many of the bay area towns...
They both remind me too much of Florida.
I agree with Montclair on this, they feel utterly fake and I try to avoid them like the plague.

This must be for IT workers flying out to San Jose but are too busy programming that week and couldn't make it up to SF, but still wanted to bring their wife home some nice clothes or put somethin on the ol company expense account.
+1. Unfortunately so for such a large area.
Why are you painting Santana Row as the essence of San Jose? Most here harbor much disdain for the place. I'm glad it was built away from downtown, where there's actually a soul.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City