Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which mall is better?
NorthPark Center 28 50.00%
Houston Galleria 28 50.00%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 12:49 AM

61 posts, read 102,552 times

Advertisements

What confuses me is that the Dallas morning news reported that the old Banana Republic space will be carved to accomodate five stores but I went to Highland Park Village the other day and I saw all store fronts are filled: two doors are carved for DVF, one in the middle is Vilebrequin and the remaining two doors are for Louboutin. Where's the space for the other two?

I think the Italian store would be Prada or Brioni. That's a men section so I think it would be a menswear store. Zegna won't be it because Pocket Menswear has an in-house Zegna boutique. Fendi would be a great choice. Chopard would be superb. I love their watches. I'm certain the new management will not renew Anthropologie's lease as it is not that upscale. WWD reported that Vera Wang will open in Dallas in 2012. I wonder if HPV or Northpark will get it?

Old 06-15-2010, 01:06 AM

1,196 posts, read 1,798,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prive212 View Post
That's a very good question with no easy answer.

Retail in Dallas is extremely good for some (Neiman Marcus) and challenging for newer brands entering the city for that same reason. Dallas is home to Neiman Marcus (NorthPark NM is #1 store in country) and a traditional city at that, it may take more than 1 lease agreement to see an established clientele but this is a chic city and the residents certainly have the lifestyle and money to support all of this fabulous shopping. Houston boutiques are usually more profitable than Dallas, but not by much. And as a whole, Houston and Dallas boutique sales are close to Chicago and Costa Mesa in business.

In my opinion, some brands do extremely well here, Louis Vuitton (recently opened 3rd stand alone boutique) and Hermes (recently expanded) for example. While others, Prada, Christian Dior and Giorgio Armani flopped hard. The reason for this is that mega brands on that scale must operate on a mega level, anything they do (stores) must be large enough to accommodate their presence, and Dallas just can't meet their expectations fast enough. While there is demand for those lines here, there is also no rush to stop shopping at Neiman Marcus.

Always found it interesting how some brands seem to flourish here and some just flop like a fish out of water. It's not a issue of wealth and "luxury" shoppers (just locally alone has enough). I do wonder if it just takes time in terms of changing tastes. Wouldn't you say the "old moneyed" DFW crowd tends to be rather conservative. Seems like once you get a younger, "new money" crowd in, it'll help those brands that struggle. Hopefully Armani, Prada, and Dior return down the line.

Interesting info on the sales. Do you have inside info on those sales? I'm guessing the Bal Harbour boutiques are near the top.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhotanddeadly View Post
What confuses me is that the Dallas morning news reported that the old Banana Republic space will be carved to accomodate five stores but I went to Highland Park Village the other day and I saw all store fronts are filled: two doors are carved for DVF, one in the middle is Vilebrequin and the remaining two doors are for Louboutin. Where's the space for the other two?

I think the Italian store would be Prada or Brioni. That's a men section so I think it would be a menswear store. Zegna won't be it because Pocket Menswear has an in-house Zegna boutique. Fendi would be a great choice. Chopard would be superb. I love their watches. I'm certain the new management will not renew Anthropologie's lease as it is not that upscale. WWD reported that Vera Wang will open in Dallas in 2012. I wonder if HPV or Northpark will get it?
I always wonder if Prada would open a full-line store if they returned to Dallas. Meaning both men's and women's ready-to-wear, accessories, jewelry, ect. If they did, wouldn't that require a rather sizable floor space?

Old 06-15-2010, 02:00 AM

4,418 posts, read 6,230,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhotanddeadly View Post

Ya I doubt Zegna will ever opein in Highland Park, perhaps NorthPark if they ever do open in Dallas. I don't think there is much need for a stand alone Zegna in Dallas at the moment with its full line already available in the city, like the situation with Giorgio Armani. Prada is my first guess with Fendi and Brioni as alternatives. My prediction of stores whose leases will not be renewed is Anthropologie, Cole Haan & Williams Sonoma for starters.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Ya I doubt Zegna will ever opein in Highland Park, perhaps NorthPark if they ever do open in Dallas. I don't think there is much need for a stand alone Zegna in Dallas at the moment with its full line already available in the city, like the situation with Giorgio Armani. Prada is my first guess with Fendi and Brioni as alternatives. My prediction of stores whose leases will not be renewed is Anthropologie, Cole Haan & Williams Sonoma for starters.
Why Cole Haan?

Old 06-15-2010, 12:31 PM

61 posts, read 102,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpacker View Post
I always wonder if Prada would open a full-line store if they returned to Dallas. Meaning both men's and women's ready-to-wear, accessories, jewelry, ect. If they did, wouldn't that require a rather sizable floor space?
I can see your point but I'm not sure. I bet it's gonna be Brioni. I wonder if Tom Thumb will ever be moved to the top level to create more sale space just like when they moved the theater upstairs.

Old 06-15-2010, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Why Cole Haan?
Cole Haan already has a presence in Dallas. Highland Park wants unique boutiques to the area.

Old 06-16-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Cole Haan already has a presence in Dallas. Highland Park wants unique boutiques to the area.
Thanks. Didn't realize Cole Haan had a boutique at NorthPark.

It's a good time to be a wealthy person in the DFW area.

A strange question, but what if Armani went to Highland Park Village over NorthPark. Would sales have been higher since they wouldn't be competing with a NM or Saks just a few feet down the hall? Would they have gotten more attention since they wouldn't have competed directly with those type of stores in the a stand-alone shopping outlet?

Old 06-16-2010, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Thanks. Didn't realize Cole Haan had a boutique at NorthPark.

It's a good time to be a wealthy person in the DFW area.

A strange question, but what if Armani went to Highland Park Village over NorthPark. Would sales have been higher since they wouldn't be competing with a NM or Saks just a few feet down the hall? Would they have gotten more attention since they wouldn't have competed directly with those type of stores in the a stand-alone shopping outlet?
they should have moved from northpark to highland park and gave it a chance before pulling out of the market.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:34 AM

182 posts, read 312,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prive212 View Post
Houston Galleria is better in my opinion. I love how all of the luxury boutiques are in the same building, and you don't have to drive around the city to see it all in one place. The only thing I was disappointed about was Yves Saint Laurent downsizing their store, I hear the new space is tiny!

Dallas NorthPark Center has a nicer atmosphere and is less hectic, but the luxury stores feel a little disjointed to me as they don't have all of the designer boutiques in one place. Major brands missing are Yves Saint Laurent (rumored to be opening at HP Village), Gucci (coming soon), Prada, Fendi, Dior, Chanel (HP Village) and now Giorgio Armani (premature exit.)
YSL pretty much downsized a lot of its store, the one outside of LA in South Coast Plaza was downsized too, its not as bad they still carry everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City