Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which mall is better?
NorthPark Center 28 50.00%
Houston Galleria 28 50.00%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 12:50 AM

182 posts, read 312,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Just recently they have been replacing those temporary stores in Galleria Dallas with popular brands, the Hangers store is pretty much the last one left of those and in a prime location across from the new Tiffany and Faconnable opening, I dont see them keeping that store there much longer. Gucci and Gregorys may be staying in Galleria. The final word hasn't been said yet, the NorthPark site says they are closing at Galleria but they also said that about Louis Vuitton and Betsey Johnson and they are still doing well at Galleria. The mall is trying to negotiate leases with Gucci and Gregorys. As for NorthPark, the stores that are coming in arent bad stores. I think its smart for them to broaden the shopping options for different age groups. The new management at Highland Park Village seem to be snagging all the new very high end stores coming into the Dallas market.
Even if Gucci and Gregorys stay in Dallas Galleria (very unlikely), I still don't see Dallas Galleria ever regaining its "upscale" status that it once held.
The closures in Northpark can't be ignored, especially the upscale shops that have closed. The whole point of the second level expansion was to broaden the options to different age groups and now there's really no reason to go up to the second level for shopping unless you're still in middle school and have "Bieber Fever"

Last edited by Brody_1008; 06-19-2010 at 01:03 AM..

Old 06-19-2010, 01:02 AM

61 posts, read 102,576 times
NorthPark was on Vogue magazine. The first mall to do so (according to WWD). If Houston Galleria is so good why is it not on Vogue? Vogue only choose the best for their magazine.

Old 06-19-2010, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhotanddeadly View Post
NorthPark was on Vogue magazine. The first mall to do so (according to WWD). If Houston Galleria is so good why is it not on Vogue? Vogue only choose the best for their magazine.
Maybe because it was during all the expansion hype, I don't know.
BTW don't believe everything you read on WWD..

Old 06-19-2010, 01:55 AM

165 posts, read 137,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody_1008 View Post
Maybe because it was during all the expansion hype, I don't know.
BTW don't believe everything you read on WWD..
Houston Galleria had expansion too and they don't get to be on Vogue Magazine.

It is probably because it is not as good as Northpark Center.

Old 06-19-2010, 02:03 AM

4,419 posts, read 6,233,438 times
I dont think people in Dallas really view the loss of some of these stores as a big deal like some of the Houston posters have made it out to be. Every city loses stores. In Dallas, some stores work really well, some don't. We can't have every store available. Its just not feasible. Obviously when NorthPark expanded it went over the top and some of the stores didn't hang on for varying reasons, Dallas Galleria's store lineup was hurt by the expansion of NorthPark, Willow Bend was hurt by losing a lot of traffic to Stonebriar Center. I think its better to say "Hey we had that store but it just didnt work out here" rather than not to have it consider Dallas at all. Also, the world is in a recession right now. I'm sure a lot of stores are cutting back and if an opportunity comes available to scale back whether its in Dallas or anywhere they will. If you can buy that same product at more than one department store in one metro area, the use of a stand alone store is irresponsible financially for that company like in Armanis case here. The only stores Dallas has lost thats been a big deal have been Prada, Dior & now Giorgio Armani. The others are not a big deal and perhaps when the economy starts looking up we will see some return.

Old 06-19-2010, 02:32 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,035,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kate_she View Post
Houston Galleria had expansion too and they don't get to be on Vogue Magazine.

It is probably because it is not as good as Northpark Center.
It's probably because no one really cares except you.....

Old 06-19-2010, 02:39 AM

3,717 posts, read 8,149,329 times
...And Houston responds with another vote! All tied up at 28! *city-data commentator*

Old 06-19-2010, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I dont think people in Dallas really view the loss of some of these stores as a big deal like some of the Houston posters have made it out to be. Every city loses stores. In Dallas, some stores work really well, some don't. We can't have every store available. Its just not feasible. Obviously when NorthPark expanded it went over the top and some of the stores didn't hang on for varying reasons, Dallas Galleria's store lineup was hurt by the expansion of NorthPark, Willow Bend was hurt by losing a lot of traffic to Stonebriar Center. I think its better to say "Hey we had that store but it just didnt work out here" rather than not to have it consider Dallas at all. Also, the world is in a recession right now. I'm sure a lot of stores are cutting back and if an opportunity comes available to scale back whether its in Dallas or anywhere they will. If you can buy that same product at more than one department store in one metro area, the use of a stand alone store is irresponsible financially for that company like in Armanis case here. The only stores Dallas has lost thats been a big deal have been Prada, Dior & now Giorgio Armani. The others are not a big deal and perhaps when the economy starts looking up we will see some return.
It looks bad any way you look at it, when a Dallas locale is the only closure. Maybe Dallas doesn't have such a big market as some people think. I'd say is a big deal when MaxMara has stores everywhere, even in a suburb outside Detroit...

Old 06-19-2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
It's probably because no one really cares except you.....
Haha this guy knows what's up!. Ha

Old 06-19-2010, 11:46 AM

213 posts, read 419,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody_1008 View Post
It looks bad any way you look at it, when a Dallas locale is the only closure. Maybe Dallas doesn't have such a big market as some people think. I'd say is a big deal when MaxMara has stores everywhere, even in a suburb outside Detroit...
Somerset Collections is the only upscale mall thats near Detriot there is none actually in Detroit.. Thats the mall that represents As being Detroits premier mall... So of course.. Now Imagine 4 areas in Houston that would have Galleria type malls.. Someone is going to hurt and stores are going to close....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City