Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which mall is better?
NorthPark Center 28 50.00%
Houston Galleria 28 50.00%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 09:45 AM

182 posts, read 314,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I wouldnt be surprised to see Prada and Dior make a return to Dallas, a lot has changed since they exited the market. Highland Park Village where they were located is not renewing the leases of stores you can find in other areas of Dallas and signing in rare boutiques. I also think Fendi will locate in Dallas as well they are opening in Atlanta. As for Giorgio Armani, I dont know why they didnt just relocate to Highland Park? Maybe they feel their options in Barneys and Neimans is enough for the Dallas market for now and thats fine. Over saturation is never a good thing. I personally like their Emporio line better and hope one comes to Dallas.
I think its like "strike 3" for Dallas, Armani opened with Collezioni in Willow Bend which later became an Emporio store (if I recall correctly)
after the Willow Bend location closed, Giorgio Armani opened and 2 years later closed in Northpark.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:02 AM

The Galleria in Houston beats Northpark any day. The Galleria has more stores, and stores not found in Northpark. Yes NorthPark has Barneys but The Galleria has Saks Fifth Avenue that's probably 3 1/2 x bigger than Barneys. Northpark has a PUBLIC library, and The Galleria has a Borders. There's just too many stores to list that The Galleria has that Northpark does not.

Old 06-18-2010, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
Why would you want to have huge parking garages towering over a mall, that is just ugly!
I'll tell what looks ugly
... the parking decks outside of Neimans and Dillards at Northpark. what's even worst is the entire mall being surrounded by a huge parking lot. The Galleria wins hands down, Northpark has no Hotel(s) or office space. enough said...

Old 06-18-2010, 12:41 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Both malls are ugly and lack creativity from an architectural standpoint. I don't know why people are even attempt to debate which looks better when both are neither that impressive. I was more impressed by The Woodlands Town Center. However, the Houston Galleria has a better location.

Old 06-18-2010, 01:17 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,760,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody_1008 View Post
I'll tell what looks ugly
... the parking decks outside of Neimans and Dillards at Northpark. what's even worst is the entire mall being surrounded by a huge parking lot. The Galleria wins hands down, Northpark has no Hotel(s) or office space. enough said...
NorthPark Center didn't always have parking garages here is a photo of what it use to look like. NorthPark do not need office or hotel space, they didn't have mixed use developments like that in the 60s.

Titche-Goettinger now Dillard's Dallas Public Library

Old 06-18-2010, 01:40 PM

165 posts, read 138,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody_1008 View Post
The Galleria in Houston beats Northpark any day. The Galleria has more stores, and stores not found in Northpark. Yes NorthPark has Barneys but The Galleria has Saks Fifth Avenue that's probably 3 1/2 x bigger than Barneys. Northpark has a PUBLIC library, and The Galleria has a Borders. There's just too many stores to list that The Galleria has that Northpark does not.
Yes, Houston Galleria has more stores than Northpark but they are all unknow and cheap looking stores such as A'GACI, Image, Al's Fromal Wear. Eww.

Dallas has already two Saks Fifth Avenue, one at the Galleria Dallas and The Shops at Willow Bend, plus Dallas has the only Barneys in Texas.

Yes, Northpark Center has a Public Liabriy called Bookmarks and I don't see anything wrong with that because its for the children. And Borders has locations everywhere. It just means that Houston Galleria can't find a decent store to rent the space.

Bookmarks at Northpark Center

Northpark has stores that Houston Galleria doesn't have.

At Northpark Center you get a better overall shopping exprience.

From the art display to free yoga at the park to fashion shows.

Northpark Center even has a park

Center Park

Old 06-18-2010, 01:43 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,760,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kate_she View Post
Yes, Houston Galleria has more stores than Northpark but they are all unknow and cheap looking stores such as A'GACI, Image, Al's Fromal Wear. Eww.

Dallas has already two Saks Fifth Avenue, one at the Galleria Dallas and The Shops at Willow Bend, plus Dallas has the only Barneys in Texas.

Yes, Northpark Center has a Public Liabriy called Bookmarks and I don't see anything wrong with that because its for the children. And Borders has locations everywhere. It just means that Houston Galleria can't find a decent store to rent the space.

Bookmarks at Northpark Center

Northpark has stores that Houston Galleria doesn't have.

At Northpark Center you get a better overall shopping exprience.

From the art display to free yoga at the park to fashion shows.

Northpark Center even has a park

Center Park
I forgot that NorthPark had a park.

Old 06-18-2010, 01:44 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,152,085 times
NorthPark is not ugly, it's modern art masterpiece with modern art inside - museum quality. There's a Barnes and Noble in the shopping center across from NP, it's really almost a free-standing extension.

Old 06-18-2010, 01:50 PM

165 posts, read 138,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Both malls are ugly and lack creativity from an architectural standpoint. I don't know why people are even attempt to debate which looks better when both are neither that impressive. I was more impressed by The Woodlands Town Center. However, the Houston Galleria has a better location.
No, Houston Galleria and The Woodlands Town Center lack creativity.

I mean Houston Galleria just looks like your average American Mall.

The Woodlands Town Center just looks average.

Northpark Center has won numerous awards.

"As one of the first large-scale malls to have unity of materials and a policy of controlled graphics, NorthPark Center set a consistent standard of quality in materials, architectural detailing and use of natural light. From the start, selections from Nasher's collection of 20th Century sculpture and modern art have been rotated throughout the mall, introducing visitors to impressive works by Jonathan Borofsky, Andy Warhol, Henry Moore, Roy Lichtenstein and Frank Stella, among others. The American Institute of Architects' Award for "Design of the Decade - 1960's" was given to NorthPark Center as one of the first commercial centers in the U.S. to create space for the display of fine art. NorthPark was honored again in 1992 with the A.I.A.'s 25-Year Award for Design Excellence."

NorthPark Center - The Premier Shopping and Dining Center in Dallas

"Northpark Center was named as one of the seven retail wonders of the modern world along with Neiman Marcus’ store at Natick Collection in Massachusetts, Japan’s Mikimoto store in Ginza, England’s Bullring shopping center, Poland’s Złote Tarasy in Warsaw, Apple’s flagship in New York City and Italy’s Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II ."

SCT - Shopping Centers Today Online

Old 06-18-2010, 01:54 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,298,309 times
[quote=kate_she;14673732]Yes, Houston Galleria has more stores than Northpark but they are all unknow and cheap looking stores such as A'GACI, Image, Al's Fromal Wear. Eww.

These stores are in Dallas too, just not at Northpark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City