Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 11:45 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,289,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
Oh except she's a Tea Partier-all of whom are racist, ALL of them. If she is even a Bostonian...

Listen, hate crimes happen everywhere, and Boston and New England certianly are not bastions of perfection. Do I love where I'm from? Of course, as much as a Texan loves Texas.

On the same day as the 1974 Busing Incident in the South Boston, where the National Gaurd was deployed, I can show you an image of an African-American child and a White child holding hands as they enter a Springfield elementary school in the same exact day.

It was New Englanders who instigated abolition and eventually the Civil War, it was New Englanders who fought first for women's right to vote. New England states were the first states to grant civil unions and marriages to gay couples.

All one needs to do is visit Northampton, Amherst, Provincetown or the South End of Boston to see liberalism in action.

We're a region that is always striving towards somethinng greater, even if we don't know it at the time, even if there are some growing pains along the way.

I just want the OP to provide some sources and methods.
And I live in a State that was the cradle of the Civil Rights movement. A State that is only 30% black, but that elects blacks to State level Cabinet positions routinely.

I live in a metro that elects out gay politicians to City AND State posts.

You like to think that your area is superior to the rest of the country in practically every possible way when it comes to being progessive. It isn't, and it has every bit as much baggage as you like to pretend it doesn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 11:49 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,149,959 times
Trust me, I hate rednecks, OFCOURSE I HATE REDNECKS because I'm a "yankee", but I have class though, I don't go saying things like "everybody in the south is stupid, on welfare, and work on farms" because thats obviously not true. I've been around so many people in my life growing up in North Jersey, I'm used to seeing all sorts of races and nationalities. No matter if your from the south, north, east, west, midwest, racism isn't cool. I guess you can call me a racist though because I hate ignorant rednecks lol. I don't know if that would be "racist" though really. I just hate ignorant people in general.

Old 05-28-2010, 11:56 PM

14,169 posts, read 22,579,875 times
Massachusetts is a capital "P" Progressive state. They'd rather the government be in Brussels than Washington DC.

Old 05-29-2010, 12:00 AM

2,347 posts, read 2,772,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Your tone now is a lot more respectful to your peers on CD. I commend your change of heart and your change in tone. Nice work.

Yes, and those are all marvelous things, but greatness can be achieved anywhere, do you not think for Atlanta to be the "Black Mecca" it is today, they had to change their original pre-Civil war routines? They did.

Houston is the largest city to have an openly gay female Mayor, which is a lot for the same Southern city that gets a lot of heat from it's states history in the Civil War.

Texas has a lot of messed up places, and that's something they're trying to change. They're trying. No place is perfect. But it's not just New England taking the march to progression alone, the whole country is doing it together.

And that's what being American truly is about, being proud of where you come from as a country, and changing the world for the better.

Those redneck hicks in Eastern Texas and the panhandle haven't gotten the memo yet (not saying everyone there is a redneck but there's a lot of racism there) but they will some day.

Every year our state gets closer and closer to being a Democratic state, Republicans themselves have stated how they fear the loss of Texas this decade.

The whole country wants to change, and it's happened one step at a time.

You just have to be open minded about it, and be open to everyone else's background. Imagine how I feel, as a Chicagoan and South Asian the day my parents told me we're moving to Houston?

I learned to accept it, and I love the place. It's got it's bad but it's got a lot of good, and hey, it's home!
You commend me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
And I live in a State that was the cradle of the Civil Rights movement. A State that is only 30% black, but that elects blacks to State level Cabinet positions routinely.

I live in a metro that elects out gay politicians to City AND State posts.

You like to think that your area is superior to the rest of the country in practically every possible way when it comes to being progessive. It isn't, and it has every bit as much baggage as you like to pretend it doesn't.
You condemn me.

What's funny is, two different responses to the same post.

I have never believed I was superior to anyone. I love the history of New England. The Puritans would would whip you for not going to Church, but a century later, their decedents were fighting the British and proclaming separation of church and state in the name of republicanism. How is this explained?

New England has always had this odd relationship with civil rights. But can't the same thing be said about GA? If you have elected gay politicans, great, but you still fly the confederate flag, see dichotomy.

Old 05-29-2010, 12:03 AM

Quote:
You commend me.

You condemn me.

What's funny is, two different responses to the same post.

I have never believed I was superior to anyone. I love the history of New England. The Puritans would would whip you for not going to Church, but a century later, their decedents were fighting the British and proclaming separation of church and state in the name of republicanism. How is this explained?

New England has always had this odd relationship with civil rights. But can't the same thing be said about GA? If you have elected gay politicans, great, but you still fly the confederate flag, see dichotomy.
I've been around longer, and have seen many more of your posts.

As far as the flag goes, you need to educate yourself a little. Google is your friend.

Old 05-29-2010, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
I've been around longer, and have seen many more of your posts.

As far as the flag goes, you need to educate yourself a little. Google is your friend.
okay? egotistical much?

yeah, I'm aware the Confed flag represents your Southerness. I get that, except it represents the Confederacy, that ill fated nation.

Old 05-29-2010, 12:07 AM

9,096 posts, read 13,110,836 times
Quote:
Oh except she's a Tea Partier-all of whom are racist, ALL of them. If she is even a Bostonian...

Listen, hate crimes happen everywhere, and Boston and New England certianly are not bastions of perfection. Do I love where I'm from? Of course, as much as a Texan loves Texas.

On the same day as the 1974 Busing Incident in the South Boston, where the National Gaurd was deployed, I can show you an image of an African-American child and a White child holding hands as they enter a Springfield elementary school in the same exact day.

It was New Englanders who instigated abolition and eventually the Civil War, it was New Englanders who fought first for women's right to vote. New England states were the first states to grant civil unions and marriages to gay couples.

All one needs to do is visit Northampton, Amherst, Provincetown or the South End of Boston to see liberalism in action.

We're a region that is always striving towards somethinng greater, even if we don't know it at the time, even if there are some growing pains along the way.

I just want the OP to provide some sources and methods.
Lmk, mostly postive and much better, especially paragraphs 2,3 and 6. However, I would reduce the New England is superior stuff because it really has nothing to do with the topic.

For instance, when I said that I think Vermont might belong in the top 5 LEAST racist states, it has nothing to do with Vermont being in New England. It is just a guess because I have a really postive vibe toward Vermont and its people.

Old 05-29-2010, 12:10 AM

Quote:
okay? egotistical much?

yeah, I'm aware the Confed flag represents your Southerness. I get that, except it represents the Confederacy, that ill fated nation.
No, I just state the facts. You have a huge superiority complex due to nothing other than location - it is well documented.

And I am not a Southerner, but I do live here by choice. As do millions of others.

Assume much?

Old 05-29-2010, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Lmk, mostly postive and much better, especially paragraphs 2,3 and 6. However, I would reduce the New England is superior stuff because it really has nothing to do with the topic.

For instance, when I said that I think Vermont might belong in the top 5 LEAST racist states, it has nothing to do with Vermont being in New England. It is just a guess because I have a really postive vibe toward Vermont and its people.
Well, thanks, I guess, although none of your approvals are necessary. Freedom of speech, it alive and well.

I wrote that stuff about New England as a response to some posters who would condemn the 14million of us, when in fact our history would suggest otherwise. It's called formulating an argument. But yes, I'm fully aware of some of the terrible events in Boston's history-of course Boston is not Massachusetts, nor is it New England, just as a point of preference. But those events were at least a decade before I was born, so my life in Massachusetts as been, shall we say quiet, on the Hates Crimes front.

Besides people come on here, and every chance they get, they'll beat up on New England, all I need to do is dig out posts from yesterday. I might "personally" dislike regions of the country, but I would never personally attack someone because of where they live.

See, you all think I am acting superior, because I'm arguing with you, superior because I'm from New England. You had decided at some point in the past that we're rude, snotty people, with a Harvard education. When merely I was questioning the OP's stats and methods. He could be totally right.

In all honestly it probably has more to do with urban populations versus rural. I wouldn't expect hate crimes in Vermont, but in LA, one could only imagine.

Then you have to ask, who is committing these crimes and then against whom. Again, crime in Massachusetts is pretty much limited to the inner inner cities.

Old 05-29-2010, 12:28 AM

3,717 posts, read 8,149,959 times
^ Yeah it all varies, I decided to stop arguing because were both from the Northeast and I agree with most of your opinions. I even have family from New England, I just don't like stereotypes thats all. You seem like a pretty cool person now that you've posted more comments. I would actually think there would be a lot more hate crime in rural areas than inner-city neighborhoods. That really does vary though like I said. A hate crime could be a white kid getting jumped by some black kids in the middle of the city but could also be a black kid being drug behind a pickup truck on a farm somewhere. This goes for every race and nationality as well, it really varies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City