Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which cities are emerging as world cities?
Dallas-Forth Worth 19 6.31%
Las Vegas 8 2.66%
Houston 63 20.93%
Miami 45 14.95%
Phoenix 7 2.33%
Twin Cities 13 4.32%
Boston 26 8.64%
Philidelphia 34 11.30%
Atlanta 86 28.57%
Voters: 301. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 11:13 PM

3,147 posts, read 3,481,277 times

Advertisements

I don't think I saw it mentioned, so I will throw it out there... I think Denver is a strong up and comer. Wikipedia has it as a Beta- world city with Detroit, Cleveland, and St. Louis. Seems to me it should be in Beta with Minneapolis and Seattle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 11:54 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,240,842 times
Boston, Houston, Miami, Dallas, Atlanta

Old 04-09-2012, 02:00 PM

120 posts, read 105,863 times
Berlin's ranking as only a Beta makes me question the study's methodology altogether.

As for American "world cities" - I'd argue for the obvious candidates: NYC, LA, SF, Chicago, and Miami. People might differ on ways to rate these things, but the important factors to me are world recognition and economic power. NYC is clearly there; LA has Hollywood; the Bay Area has the economic power of Silicon Valley and its innovative culture/venture capital; Chicago is a vital power, the capital of the "flyover" areas; and Miami is a vital, dynamic cultural icon. DC is up there, too, based on political power and its population, and Atlanta and Boston both have reasonable claims, but I'd argue that they're a little lower on the totem pole.

But as Dennis Miller used to say at the end of one of his rants... that's just my opinion; I could be wrong.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:08 PM

120 posts, read 105,863 times
And, incidentally, I voted for Houston. Miami, Boston, Atlanta and Philadelphia are already "world cities," if on different levels; Houston, I think, has an excellent opportunity to grow in stature over the coming years as it grows its economy even further and raises its cultural profile. You could conceivably argue that it's already there, at least on the level of Atlanta and Philadelphia, and I wouldn't give you too much of an argument in return. But as far as American cities with powerful futures - just from my knowledge of the place from having visited a number of times - I think Houston is well-positioned to be a great city in the future. Just wish it had less-humid weather and a more varied downtown area (though I love Montrose and the museum district) - I'd go back more often.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:32 PM

1,348 posts, read 2,844,762 times
None of them.

The only US cities I would classify as world cities would be:

New York
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Honolulu

Those on the threshhold:

Seattle
Chicago

The rest do not even come close.

Old 04-09-2012, 04:34 PM

896 posts, read 1,161,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacramento916 View Post
None of them.

The only US cities I would classify as world cities would be:

New York
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Honolulu

Those on the threshhold:

Seattle
Chicago

The rest do not even come close.
So you're putting Honolulu ahead of Boston, Chicago, DC, Atlanta, etc. Ok buddy

Old 04-09-2012, 04:45 PM

1,348 posts, read 2,844,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSon View Post
So you're putting Honolulu ahead of Boston, Chicago, DC, Atlanta, etc. Ok buddy
have you ever been to Honolulu? Its extremely cosmopolitan and international for its size. Definitely far more than the others.

Old 04-09-2012, 04:54 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,760,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caravan70 View Post
You could conceivably argue that it's already there, at least on the level of Atlanta and Philadelphia, and I wouldn't give you too much of an argument in return.
Much argument or zero argument?

Houston I would argue has the edge over ATL in a more international economy

Old 04-09-2012, 05:10 PM

886 posts, read 1,555,893 times
Quote:
have you ever been to Honolulu? Its extremely cosmopolitan and international for its size. Definitely far more than the others.
LOLOL thanks for sharing the joke with us. I remember there was once another guy who tried to argue Honolulu as a world class city over LA because freeways bisected central LA and they didn't for Honolulu

The Honolulu fanfare is interesting to me. LOL

Old 04-09-2012, 05:19 PM

2,546 posts, read 3,273,261 times
Quote:
International? Yes. Cosmopolitan? Hardly, if by cosmopolitan you mean not just racially diverse but also sophisticated and urbane. Compared to places like Miami and LV I thought it was very provincial. And I could probaly think of another 10 US cities that are far more cosmopolitan than Honolulu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City