Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which cities are emerging as world cities?
Dallas-Forth Worth 19 6.31%
Las Vegas 8 2.66%
Houston 63 20.93%
Miami 45 14.95%
Phoenix 7 2.33%
Twin Cities 13 4.32%
Boston 26 8.64%
Philidelphia 34 11.30%
Atlanta 86 28.57%
Voters: 301. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 06:15 PM

396 posts, read 598,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouTXmetro View Post
Leading Canidates for World Class City In Order:
1. Houston (arguably already there. Strong Economy intertwined with the world wide energy market, With the widening of the panama canal it's already busy port is really about to further strengthen it's international ties. The biggest hinderance is the absence of mass transit wich makes it "feel" less urban. That's being resolved as we speak and we should fully expect Houston to BLAST OFF once the transit issues improve in addition to the Canal widening. Not to mention culturally the hidden Tex-Mex-Cajun culture is finally getting national recognition beyond the region itself.)

2. Dallas (4th Largest Metro, inevitably it will become world class by default with it's current growth rate. The "urbanization" image projects just keep going and going and going. However, IMO it's real International Ties are probably the weakest of all the canidates. But it's efforts to become premeir American city coupled with it's exansive growth will like it push it over the top into World Class status at some point)

3. Atlanta (I'll be honest and maybe my opinion is somewhat biased. Hosting the Olympics is not enough to make you a World Class city. On the plus side, it's urbanization efforts makes it a premier American city arguably ahead of it's competition Houston and Dallas, I just feel Atlanta is furtherst Away from International Stature which would make it a "World Class" city)

Honorable Mention (Seattle, Phoenix, New Orleans, Honolulu, Vegas)

In closing, I just recognize that my list of of World Class cities are all located next to a major body of water. Is that a mere coincidence? wondering what role that plays as opposed to being land locked?
i think you place a bit too much importance on the port. goods are just passing through, for the most part. savannah has the 4th busiest container port (moreso than houston) but that fact doesn't really elevate savannah to any kind of global city. 5 of the top 10 busiest (cargo) ports are in the middle of nowhere, or in smaller cities that are equally unimportant on any sort of global sense. (nobody thinks of huntingdon, va or beaumont, tx when it comes to global importance) the majority of what passes through the port of houston is petroleum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 08:11 PM

725 posts, read 1,233,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post
i think you place a bit too much importance on the port. goods are just passing through, for the most part. savannah has the 4th busiest container port (moreso than houston) but that fact doesn't really elevate savannah to any kind of global city. 5 of the top 10 busiest (cargo) ports are in the middle of nowhere, or in smaller cities that are equally unimportant on any sort of global sense. (nobody thinks of huntingdon, va or beaumont, tx when it comes to global importance) the majority of what passes through the port of houston is petroleum.
I disagree, only because you're discounting the fact that the Panama Canal project will strengthen Houston's hand as it's a closer POE to the larger ships from China than is Savannah. This doesn't mean it will overtake Savannah for containers (since the Port of Savannah plays a large role in cargo distribution in the Southeast) but certainly increases can be expected. Houston's port does support a lot of petroleum shipping as well and that will only increase in the future with the completion of the southern part of the Keystone pipeline. More gasoline exports = more business for the ports of Houston and Beaumont.

I voted for Houston for this very reason, the Port and the energy-based economy will continue to thrive for the foreseeable future. Atlanta and DFW are right there as well and will be world cities at some point, though Atlanta has lost some steam economically as of late.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:27 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,760,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majicdonjuan View Post
I disagree, only because you're discounting the fact that the Panama Canal project will strengthen Houston's hand as it's a closer POE to the larger ships from China than is Savannah. This doesn't mean it will overtake Savannah for containers (since the Port of Savannah plays a large role in cargo distribution in the Southeast) but certainly increases can be expected. Houston's port does support a lot of petroleum shipping as well and that will only increase in the future with the completion of the southern part of the Keystone pipeline. More gasoline exports = more business for the ports of Houston and Beaumont.

I voted for Houston for this very reason, the Port and the energy-based economy will continue to thrive for the foreseeable future. Atlanta and DFW are right there as well and will be world cities at some point, though Atlanta has lost some steam economically as of late.
Yeah that guy is being silly, the Port of Houston is responsible for 1M jobs in Texas. That is huge for ANY metro.

The Ports in LA has an even greater economic impact.

Major ports are huge for emerging cities.

Savannah port System is nowhere close to being as large as Houstons.

Houston's Port Region is the 9th largest in the World and the Largest in the US.

List of world's busiest port regions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Port of Savannah handles 28 million tons of cargo a year, Houston handles 422,885 Million tons

If you look at the list of the busiest port regions, almost all of them have huge populations

Old 04-11-2012, 07:20 AM

151 posts, read 365,331 times
Looks like Atlanta is losing the poll. This just proves Atlanta will never be a world city. I would vote for every city in the poll before I would Atlanta.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:53 AM

686 posts, read 1,160,969 times
Huh? Atlanta is winning the poll. Or did the Sarcasim go over my head? lol

Old 04-11-2012, 08:07 PM

151 posts, read 365,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouTXmetro View Post
Huh? Atlanta is winning the poll. Or did the Sarcasim go over my head? lol
Lol no I just mean when you add up all the cities together then Atlanta is in last place, where it belongs.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:06 PM

233 posts, read 366,307 times
Boston is already a global city and there are lots of studies like this one to support that. Although Philly is a big northeastern city, it is not close to Boston, DC, or NYC on the world stage.

http://www.atkearney.com/images/global/articles/FG-2012-Global-Cities-Index-and-Emerging-Cities-Outlook-1.png (broken link)

Old 04-12-2012, 09:40 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,760,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tocoto View Post
Boston is already a global city and there are lots of studies like this one to support that. Although Philly is a big northeastern city, it is not close to Boston, DC, or NYC on the world stage.
I didn't see Philly at all. Did I miss it?
Didn't see Dallas either.

Saw
1. NY >6

Large Gap

2. LA, Chicago, DC > 3
3. Boston, SF, Houston, Miami, ATL > 2

Old 04-12-2012, 09:59 PM

896 posts, read 1,161,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I didn't see Philly at all. Did I miss it?
Didn't see Dallas either.

Saw
1. NY >6

Large Gap

2. LA, Chicago, DC > 3
3. Boston, SF, Houston, Miami, ATL > 2
Not to say that nyc doesn't have a big gap on LA but why the big gap comment when only 4 cities separating? Then you group the last 5 together when there's a huuuuuuge gap between SF and mia 18-36, going by this mia, houston and atl are 4th tier cities by a long shot

Old 04-12-2012, 10:07 PM

886 posts, read 1,555,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tocoto View Post
LA and Chicago seemed to have switched places. Boston and SF did too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City