Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 12:30 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,387,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I guess so. And i took the bait, hook line and sinker. Sometimes I'll respond to posts like Cali213's and then wonder why even bother? It's like Louis CK's bit about arguing with a 3 year old.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXVkwg1RdYM
haha I know, I feel the same way...I kind of feel like an idiot now.

However your post inadvertently reminded me that thanks to guys like Louis CK, we can certainly say Boston has better comedians than Austin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2014, 04:57 PM

2,739 posts, read 6,078,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Austin is a bigger city than Boston?

Metros:
Austin: 1,926,998 people in 4,285 square miles
Boston: 4,590,000 people in 4,500 square miles

You're probably referring to city proper:
Austin: 865,504 people in 321 square miles
Boston: 636,479 people in 48 square miles

Yes, Austin is technically larger from a city proper perspective, but it's also nearly 7 times the size in land area. If you tack on the border cities of Boston (each of which avg less than 5 square miles in total area), the population becomes around 1,055,000 in 81 square miles. Still a quarter of the land area of Austin.

Boston's the far bigger city.

A recent college grad can't go wrong with either city. Austin is said to be a good choice for young professionals and the same for Boston. It just depends on what type of lifestyle the OP is looking for. Austin is said to be a vibrant but laid back mellow city versus, Boston, a smaller version of NYC.

Home Page | The Greater Austin - San Antonio Corridor Council

As far as population distribution and density a better comparison would be the Austin-San Antonio Corridor. Texas counties are huge and that effects the population density. There is roughly 3.8 million people within 4,500 square miles that make up the core counties along interstate 35 and nearly 4,100,000 people in 6,700 square miles, the population quickly tapers off outside the core counties of the Corridor. This is where the population distribution is for this region and does not include all the component counties that make up Austin & S.A. metros.

The adjacent metros of S.A. and Austin have a population of about 4.3 million and are growing extremely fast. This region doesn't have the density of the Washington to Boston Megapolis but, for the sunbelt it is a highly populated area and in a couple decades there could be over 6 million people within 6,000 square miles. Still not the density of the Eastern cities but getting up there in size.

All this talk about size, population and density may bring more opportunities but, it doesn't necessarily mean a better quality of life in the smaller vs the bigger place. The OP has to know what he/she wants and what is the best fit and what city gives the best job offers. I don't care for texas much these days, but the truth is a lot of people are moving to Texas. Some may like it others may not.

Old 06-01-2014, 06:41 PM

233 posts, read 366,307 times
Why make Austin sound more urban than it is? One of the great things about it is that the area still has lots of open space with a decent sized city (Austin) and another one 80 miles away (SA).

Boston is big enough and old enough to have a great downtown, certainly more exciting and populated than Austin, but Austin has a lot going on too.

Boston's CSA, which is somewhere between 7.5M and 8M depending on what year's estimate you want to use, does not include Portland, ME, Hartford, or Springfield, MA. If you looked at the entire region within ~80 miles of Boston there would be something like 10M and although it is an intertwined region, no one sees it as a single metropolitan area.

Both are good places to find a job, Austin is too hot and Boston is too cold, Austin is less expensive, Boston has the ocean and beaches, both have lots of college students...take your pick.

Old 06-03-2014, 12:13 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,636,075 times
IMO, it boils down to whether you're more inclined to warm/hot weather and the outdoors (Austin) vs. cool/cold weather and cultural offerings (Boston). Both cities are different enough to the point where a decision should be relatively simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City