Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 10:58 AM

14 posts, read 63,489 times

Advertisements

I just graduated from college, and I have some options. I have some job interviews in Austin, but I also have a recruiter in Boston who says he can get me a job.

I'm not picky where I work, I just want some experience since I'm a lowly entry-level. I'm from Houston, so I have some friends in Austin. I only know my cousin in Boston, who is very enthusiastic on getting me to move to Boston. I am fancy to the idea of living in the North for a while since I've lived in Texas nearly all my life (short stint in Barcelona, loved it).

What say you all? What are some of the benefits and drawbacks of both cities? If you were a single 22 year old, what would you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2010, 11:36 AM

2,347 posts, read 2,774,022 times
Everyone will eventually say Austin, because that's what they do on CD.

So I will say Boston. It's not as expensive as you think. And if you have a roommate, or live with your cousin, rent will be minimal.

Can I ask what you profession is? Most jobs in Boston are either medical, university, or financial in nature. All are very decent paying jobs.

It is a young city. 300,000 college students, it might be the first thing you notice-that everyone is under the age of 35, it's really nice and refreshing for a city that is steeped in tradition.

Old 05-29-2010, 11:41 AM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,137,887 times
If pragmatic, would move to region with a more powerful, well-balanced economy where one can secure a job with career potential

Neither Bos nor Aus has a notable economy and both are regions of declining economic and intellectual relevance...Bos has no major tech industry; Aus' last start-up of value (Dell) is ~25yo and puny (and dying) in world of BigTech

Dallas is already one of world's 4-5 most powerful economic regions (behind SiliconValley and NYC region) and will continue to attract HQs of cos. from NYC and Chicago fleeing to avoid rising taxes of NY/NJ/CT/IL

Houston is the global epicenter of the energy industry and rivals Dallas economically but will rise and fall more directly with price of oil

Old 05-29-2010, 12:21 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,522,427 times
What a strange entry right above mine. I think it's news to most people in the tech world that Austin's value as a technology center is declining.

I'm a native Houstonian who spent over a decade in Austin and I love it (in parts), but I would say Boston. Why? It's different, way different, maybe even wicked different as they might say there. Both cities are full of young, smart people and have wonderful amenities. Boston is more of a truly major city than Austin and has just that much more in the way of stuff like kulchur and sports teams, although you may find the constant Red Sox drumbeat oppressive, unless of course you turn into a Red Sox fan. But of course Austin has UT (hook 'em! Texas ex here, but went to UH for law school).

I didn't encounter it in Boston, but other people have reported that there is, in some places, a sort of snobbiness deriving from either who your family is, or which Ivy League school you went to (maybe MIT counts there too). But it's a huge metropolis with a really good subway system (fergit that in Austin, the traffic will look familiar), and any concentration of smart, ambitious people generates a sort of synergy for economic growth and quality of life that I think you'd find attractive.

Also, Boston is a high-speed train ride away from New York City and not that far from Washington DC. Unless you live along that corridor, I don't think you can appreciate the possibilities for quality of life and career advancement.

It will be more expensive to live anywhere on the East Coast than in Austin, of course, and your bad weather will be different from Austin's bad weather (oppressive cold in winter v. oppressive heat in summer).

Old 05-29-2010, 01:04 PM

2,347 posts, read 2,774,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
If pragmatic, would move to region with a more powerful, well-balanced economy where one can secure a job with career potential

Neither Bos nor Aus has a notable economy and both are regions of declining economic and intellectual relevance...Bos has no major tech industry; Aus' last start-up of value (Dell) is ~25yo and puny (and dying) in world of BigTech

Dallas is already one of world's 4-5 most powerful economic regions (behind SiliconValley and NYC region) and will continue to attract HQs of cos. from NYC and Chicago fleeing to avoid rising taxes of NY/NJ/CT/IL

Houston is the global epicenter of the energy industry and rivals Dallas economically but will rise and fall more directly with price of oil
Boston is a world city [ranked beta +] above Houston and Dallas. It IS the third largest financial center in the US after NYC and Chicago. And is consistantly ranked one of the 20 most powerful cities in the WORLD in those pesky studies, we all post and no one cares to read.

IT has the fourth highest tech industry after NYC, SFB, and DC.

It's also the 5th largest metro in the nation.

I think you need to get your facts right. But I'm also sure Austin isn't as negligable as you are claiming.

Old 05-29-2010, 01:10 PM

192 posts, read 503,053 times
This is just my opinion, but if you're from Texas, I would say go to Boston first, just to try something new.

You'll always have the opportunity to have fun in Austin when you visit friends and family.

Old 05-29-2010, 01:11 PM

4,023 posts, read 7,344,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weeb View Post
I just graduated from college, and I have some options. I have some job interviews in Austin, but I also have a recruiter in Boston who says he can get me a job.

I'm not picky where I work, I just want some experience since I'm a lowly entry-level. I'm from Houston, so I have some friends in Austin. I only know my cousin in Boston, who is very enthusiastic on getting me to move to Boston. I am fancy to the idea of living in the North for a while since I've lived in Texas nearly all my life (short stint in Barcelona, loved it).

What say you all? What are some of the benefits and drawbacks of both cities? If you were a single 22 year old, what would you do?
Austin and Boston are both good for you.But go to Austin.
Why? Weather (sunny), better (very) economic growth, low unemployment rate.The future is here

Old 05-29-2010, 02:25 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,894,501 times
Consider hedge fund growth. Aus and Bos both lack on high ed levels for top level finance execs. Sil Val, CT far more young prof money growth. Hi tech based in palo alto. top tier ex live in car-centric suburbs, work in suburb off parks. money growth hedge fund silicon valley stamford connecticut top education lots of abbrvs.

Old 05-29-2010, 02:29 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,400,420 times
I would go with Boston, just to try something new. Once you are older, it is harder to move around...

Old 05-29-2010, 02:33 PM

10,138 posts, read 15,952,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weeb View Post

First I want to say, go with the city that gets you the best job possible. That's whats important. Nail a good job in both, then go with the best job offer.

I go to school in Austin. It's a nice city, feels a bit more like Sacramento or a smaller scaled San Jose (with better buildings but worse roads) than any other city in Texas. It's a great city to be a young person in, and plenty to do, but I would go with Boston if I were you, a change in scenery is a very nice. And you have a cousin there, he's psyched to see you in Boston, you'll have a great time there. If you don't the other big cities in the Northeast are only a few hours away for a great weekend trip.

Enjoy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City