Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 02:26 PM

744 posts, read 1,308,125 times

Advertisements

Charlotte has character you just have to venture outside of Uptown to find most of it. Neighborhoods like plaza midwood, NoDa, and southend are where a lot of the character lies. Uptown is very new and shiny, most of the historic buildings at the core were demolished but Uptown still has a plenty to offer for it's visitors....But again if you're a gritty city type, Charlotte probably isn't going to be your favorite. To each his own.

Old 05-29-2010, 02:29 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,386,834 times
I've always tend to compare Charlotte to Nashville and Memphis to New Orleans. The vibes are more comparable to me.

Old 05-29-2010, 02:44 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,998,871 times
Unemployment rate means nothing sometimes. The unemployment rate at Silicon Valley is also very high, but people still regard that as the center for high tech. Places with high unemployment rates are sometimes the most active ecomony. Competetion is fierce but you usually get lots of better opportunities than a place with no highs and lows of economy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
You're kidding, right? Charlotte's unemployment rate, 11.1%, is much higher than the national average, and it's higher than the Memphis rate of 10.4%.

Old 05-29-2010, 02:53 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,414,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionguy View Post
Unemployment rate means nothing sometimes. The unemployment rate at Silicon Valley is also very high, but people still regard that as the center for high tech. Places with high unemployment rates are sometimes the most active ecomony. Competetion is fierce but you usually get lots of better opportunities than a place with no highs and lows of economy.
exactly, states like nebraska/kansas/ have some of the lowest unemployment in the country, but what kind of jobs are there, and who is moving there?

Old 05-29-2010, 02:58 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,726,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1 View Post
On my travel there to see family in First ward and we ventured out into uptown charlotte and though it is Moderatly okay, but i didnt see any character, I saw some life,But nothing that set it apart from the rest of the southern cites special districts.Please prove me wrong.
Surely no one from Memphis (Makin Easy Money Pimpin Hoes In Style) is talking smack about Charlotte??? In case you didn't know, your city is in a serious free fall...

Story:The Great Migration: Taxpayers pouring out of Shelby County » The Commercial Appeal

Perhaps you can cash in some of that character one day and make it worth something.

Old 05-29-2010, 03:07 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,386,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
Surely no one from Memphis (Makin Easy Money Pimpin Hoes In Style) is talking smack about Charlotte??? In case you didn't know, your city is in a serious free fall...

Story:The Great Migration: Taxpayers pouring out of Shelby County » The Commercial Appeal

Perhaps you can cash in some of that character one day and make it worth something.
LMAO!!! I haven't heard that in forever, but I'm familiar with the acronym. Hmmmm, you know a little bit about Memphis don't you?
Do you know how to "gangsta-walk" too?

Old 05-29-2010, 03:38 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,269,141 times
This sounds like a personal vendetta. To say Charlotte has no life in Uptown, I think is a bit ridiculous, especially since you're from Memphis. It's not like you're from Atlanta, NYC, Miami, etc. Charlotte is higher tier than Memphis, and you're mad about it. It bothers you that Charlotte has outgrown Memphis and did so quietly.

I'm sorry to come off offensive but the title thread is very provocative.

Old 05-29-2010, 03:42 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,726,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOMAZBOI4U View Post
LMAO!!! I haven't heard that in forever, but I'm familiar with the acronym. Hmmmm, you know a little bit about Memphis don't you?
Do you know how to "gangsta-walk" too?
LOL. The first time I saw that I was actually in Atlanta. I remember saying to someone, "Umm, that's a awfully rowdy frat stepping through the club". And they said, "Uhh, no, that's the guys from Memphis gangsta walk'in"

Old 05-29-2010, 04:10 PM

36,639 posts, read 67,239,967 times
I was actually supposed to move to Charlotte back when then SF-based BofA was bought out by NationsBank. After three months, I didnt like the Corporate Culture in the home office so I left-but as far as Charlotte, I thought it was a very nice city-definitely not bland.

Old 05-29-2010, 04:20 PM

294 posts, read 779,611 times
Charlotte is a very neat, manicured kind of city. I grew up in deep Northeastern grit and that's exactly why I love Charlotte. In five years here, the Uptown has changed dramatically, and will only get better. I was in Memphis two months ago, and apart from beale street, Charlotte, at least downtown is much more vibrant. The Peabody Center (?) entertainment complex is a ghost town. It is abandoned, while Charlotte's new Epicentre is booming and thriving. I will give Memphis the kudos for a city of great "character" though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City