Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Orlando 75 39.27%
Tampa 116 60.73%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 02:06 PM

138 posts, read 213,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
I think Orlando's skyline is better, the buildings look nicer, most of Tampas buildings are older and bland.

Orlando Panorama on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/osiris/1374534730/ - broken link)

Moon Over Orlando on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/savage_land_pictures/3410175741/ - broken link)

O-Town at night (Orlando, Florida) on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/damgaard/3449316562/ - broken link)

Orlando has just as much history as Tampa. And how is Tampa more culturally relevant? Orlando has just as much historic areas, hosts MANY more national conventions than Tampa (2nd largest convention center in the US). Orlando is hosting the 1212 NBA all star game event weekend. Orlando is home to the most famous theme parks in the US, and maybe even world. Which plays a huge part in Americas culture.. Disney, Universal... 3 vs 4 500 companies isn't a huge difference, especially when you look at population size (Tampa has more ppl), and Orlando also plays a HUGE role in the military. Orlando is the hub of the nation’s military simulation and training programs. Its home to the simulation procurement commands for the U.S. Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines and Coast Guard... Orlando is far more known on a national and even international level. So no, I don't get how someone said Tampa is more culturally relevant.
What kind of history does Orlando have? What historic areas do they have? What national conventions do they host? Tampa has a top ten theme park in Busch Gardens, and Orlando plays a HUGE role in the military???? really??? and more well known???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 02:17 PM

1,416 posts, read 3,195,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
Not sure what you're talking about What does switching skylines have to do with which is better? But yes, Orlando is doing quite well with having the only inland skyline in the state. If Orlando was on the water, it would probably be twice as large with all the condos and hotels.

Point was Orlando skyline is flexible. Has room to expand up and out. You could put the skyline in an city in Florida and it would fit. I do not feel the same about Tampa. I feel like Tampa will expand in height but not outward. Just from being around downtown Tampa. Orlando and Tampa truly has to get rid of surface lots which they both have been doing at a slow pace.

Agreed. I feel as though if some of the Hotels where downtown, Our skyline would be killer. Not height wise but density and architecturally.

Old 06-11-2010, 02:18 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,146,662 times
^ I noticed that, when I was riding around downtown Tampa one day there were like HUGE parking lots right in the middle of the city, I've never seen something like that before.

Old 06-11-2010, 02:23 PM

yeah its like WTF type of view. I mean it kills Floridas skyline, Jacksonville has it too. SOuth Florida utilizes their land smarter than any other city when it comes to the CBD. But they are getting better. Orlando especially has some cleaning up to do.

Old 06-11-2010, 02:32 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,146,662 times
Yeah South Florida has no choice but to be dense and build up.

Old 06-11-2010, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
Orlando was settled in 1875
Tampa was settled in 1823
1837 as Jernigan.

Old 06-11-2010, 02:43 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,909,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLABoyJ View Post
I think both cities have nice skylines. While not big and massive, they ARE Noticeable.
Exactly, they are both mid sized cities, with humble yet nice skylines.

Tampa has a taller more cluster-like skyline, Orlando has a lower but still high rise based skyline due to an FAA restriction that limits our height. Tampa's is more generic, and more plain looking. Orlando has more interesting buildings, more life, and a better park with Lake Eola.

Tampa's skyline is full of office towers which means business people all day long and then at 5pm they journey back to the burbs or St. Pete. If you've ever been at night to downtown Tampa where the "skyline" is, then you know what I mean. Orlando's skyline however, is full of condo & office towers where people actually live and work in downtown and it usually gets busier after 5pm.

Simply put, Orlando's skyline = more people, life, entertainment. Tampa's skyline = offices, 9-5ers, and commuters. Sorry, I base my preference on quality of life as evidenced by the skyline, Orlando wins hands down.

Oh and my challenge still stands, show me a photo that shows Tampa's is better. Not just taller, not a few extra buildings, not more visible or any other excuse. Make the better part visible like I did by showcasing an excellent urban park and the high rise condos with the million dollar views that over look them.

Here's one the City of Orlando offers that showcases the downtown area nicely:

Old 06-11-2010, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruth33nthe813 View Post
What kind of history does Orlando have? What historic areas do they have? What national conventions do they host? Tampa has a top ten theme park in Busch Gardens, and Orlando plays a HUGE role in the military???? really??? and more well known???
Orlando most certainly does have history. Whether new or old Orlando has history. We have historic neighborhoods, historic buildings downtown and around Orlando. Nobody makes a big fuss in a textbook about our history like Boston or Philly sure, that doesnt mean a city has 0 history.

Historic Areas:
The famous Eatonville - Americas First Black City Enough Said.
Lake Eola Heights
Lake Cherokee
Downtown Historic District - Buildings from early 1900's
Lake Copeland
Colonialtown District
Parramore Area
These areas downtown show the old southern style housing you can find in many other small cities through Florida. These areas are in or situated around downtown as to reflect the architecture of the early 1900's and late 1800's. Remember Orlando was initially build off of citrus so as a city center these areas did them well.

We hold so many conventions at our convention center its not even a match. I have seen Tampa's convention center; we have schools bigger than it (Timber Creek).

I wont even get into the Military thing.

Old 06-11-2010, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
Yeah South Florida has no choice but to be dense and build up.
Yes Miami has no room to expand either. They must build up like New York.

Old 06-11-2010, 02:52 PM

138 posts, read 213,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLABoyJ View Post
Orlando most certainly does have history. Whether new or old Orlando has history. We have historic neighborhoods, historic buildings downtown and around Orlando. Nobody makes a big fuss in a textbook about our history like Boston or Philly sure, that doesnt mean a city has 0 history.

Historic Areas:
The famous Eatonville - Americas First Black City Enough Said.
Lake Eola Heights
Lake Cherokee
Downtown Historic District - Buildings from early 1900's
Lake Copeland
Colonialtown District
Parramore Area
These areas downtown show the old southern style housing you can find in many other small cities through Florida. These areas are in or situated around downtown as to reflect the architecture of the early 1900's and late 1800's. Remember Orlando was initially build off of citrus so as a city center these areas did them well.

We hold so many conventions at our convention center its not even a match. I have seen Tampa's convention center; we have schools bigger than it (Timber Creek).

I wont even get into the Military thing.
Thank you for finally being specific! Maybe it does have some history of its own, but I think that most people would agree that Tampa has much more. And I challenge you to find me a single convention in Orlando as important as the Super Bowl or Republican National Convention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City