U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Orlando 58 40.85%
Tampa 84 59.15%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 01:23 AM

2,459 posts, read 2,867,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogercobb View Post
Tampa, and particularly the Tampa area has more to offer than Orlando. On the surface Orlando looks nicer (especially the downtown), newer, and has more well paved roads. Tampa is a much better sports town with professional football, hockey, and baseball. Orlando has the basketball which does not create nearly the same buzz that baseball and football offer. In Tampa there is definitely more of a sense of community and history and I've found the local TV in Tampa to be much more professional and informative than in Orlando. Someone mentioned the nightclubs and Orlando may have the edge but only if you are teens through mid twenties. Tampa area seems to have a more varied bar scene for those in their thirties. Tampa seems more of a live-and-let-live vibe than Orlando. There are real strip clubs in Tampa while Orlando caters to family friendly activities.
I can see Tampa having better bars but Orlando has its share. Orlando definitely has better dance clubs. But what I personally like is the very large jazz scene in Orlando. Much more than Tampa or Miami.

I'm also not sure I follow how you say Tampa has more to offer when all you've really said is Tampa has full nude strip clubs and better pro sports? Or are those the only reasons in which case I'd say you've living one hell of a life basing what city you like better on bars, sports, and strip clubs..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 01:29 AM

10,180 posts, read 4,716,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
I can see Tampa having better bars but Orlando has its share. Orlando definitely has better dance clubs. But what I personally like is the very large jazz scene in Orlando. Much more than Tampa or Miami.

I'm also not sure I follow how you say Tampa has more to offer when all you've really said is Tampa has full nude strip clubs and better pro sports? Or are those the only reasons in which case I'd say you've living one hell of a life basing what city you like better on bars, sports, and strip clubs..
Sounds a lot like Vegas. Don't you think? Minus the sports.

Old 05-31-2010, 09:17 AM

1,422 posts, read 1,763,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Economy: I believe Tampa has a good chance of diversifying and expanding their economy. I have seen articles listing it as a possible future hot spot. I don't know too much about Orlando, but it's way more than tourism, I know a few people who work in IT in Orlando. It came as a surprise to me a few years ago.

Cost of Living: I would say they're both fairly equal in this regard.

Shopping: I give the edge to Orlando, since I had a good experience there. But I have heard great things about Tampa's shopping scene too.

Culture: Tampa. I like how the city has more of it's own culture.

Recreational activities: Both, depends on what you want to do, I personally wouldn't go to Disney everyday, but the parks in Orlando are pretty nice and the museum is pretty underrated. Tampa is near the coast, can someone say Water Skiing? YES!!

Restaurants: Orlando.

Airport: Toss up, but I loved Orlando's airport, never been to Tampa's since I drove there.

Roads/Freeways/Tollways: Tampa, bigger city with other big cities in the metro, they have to have a good system that works.

Nightlife: Orlando. Their nightlife is quite overlooked. I love the city, it's got a lot going on.

Sports:
Orlando- NBA (Magics)
Tampa- NHL, MLB, NFL (Buccaneers, Rays, Lightening)
I say overall I like NBA more, but Tampa wins in this regard of sports!

Other:

I really love downtown Orlando. Nice thread by the way, it's nice having one other than the Big 10 cities.
Orlando MAGI(C) NO S.

Old 05-31-2010, 09:39 AM

I'm from Orlando, but I LOVE TAMPA. Hope to soon be in the Bay Area one day. Here is my opinion. Tampa is better because it has a better metro. Pinellas, Polk, Hernando, Manatee, Pasco, Hillsborough are all nice places to live . I mean it had a bigger population and a wide feel to it.
Orlando is nice medium size with a rather spread out metro as well but does not have the feel Tampa does.

Economy
Tampa the Edge. More established. But I see both having great opportunity to expand.
Cost of Living
The Same Just About. Closer To Downtown Or The Beaches (Any WaterFront Property IN orlando) the higher. Depending on which zip code you live in as well.
Shopping
Edge to Orlando. More Upscale Shopping
Culture
Tampa. Orlando has culture and history, the whole metro does but Tampa's is visible to the eye so to say. I must add one thing many people don't know. Because Orlando has a lot of smaller cities and towns, it has culture too. Like the Zellwood festival for instance. About 30 minutes north of Orlando a small place called Zellwood the have a CornFestival. it is very unique as it does not feel as though your in Orlando. Also Winter Park art Festival, The Street Carnival Every year, Florida Classic, Pig In a Blanket in Groveland, the Apopka Fest in apopka, and many others. Most of the suburbs have their own historical musems and monuments as well but I DO understand this thread is between Orlando and Tampa, so cities as a whole Tampa wins.
Recreational activities
Tie. Lakes, natural springs, hiking, camping, canoeing, Numerous parks, beaches only 40 minutes away for Orlando. Tampa has its share of parks and other amenities as well. And From parts in Hillsborough county and Tampa it takes 30-45 odd minutes to get tot he beach as well. Pinellas County is wider than some people think.
Restaurants
Not too sure about Tampa. But Orlando has some fine dining.

Airport
Orlando's. Tampa's is extremely nice though. Tampa has more than one International in their Metro too.

Roads/Freeways/Tollways
Tampa Roads and Freeways.
Orlando for tollways.

Nightlife
Orlando

Sports
Well national sports Tampa.
Tampa Bay Rays
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Tampa Bay Lightning
Tampa Bay Storm
Orlando Predators
Orlando Magic
Orlando Titans (lacrosse) Orlando has a balance with little league sports and things as well so for children and what not Orlando. Has some of the most successful High school football teams in the state as well as Tampa so Sports is a go in both.

Other
Weather.....Ehh A Tie. Orlando has some fantastic lightening shows but the I-4 Corridor is lightning capital so both cities get their share.

Old 05-31-2010, 09:54 AM

I will say the only thing and I mean one of the only things Orlando metro doesn't have that Tampa has a very nice one is Aquarium. If I'm still living in FL when the rail opens I'd use it just to go out to the Aquarium once or twice a year. Orlando does have Audobon Society Birds of Prey, but its not even close in engagement. Though our Science Center does beat the pants off anywhere else in FL especially with the Laser Light shows.

Old 05-31-2010, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
I will say the only thing and I mean one of the only things Orlando metro doesn't have that Tampa has a very nice one is Aquarium. If I'm still living in FL when the rail opens I'd use it just to go out to the Aquarium once or twice a year. Orlando does have Audobon Society Birds of Prey, but its not even close in engagement. Though our Science Center does beat the pants off anywhere else in FL especially with the Laser Light shows.

And I hate when people use Sea World as our aquarium . NO We need our own one.

Old 05-31-2010, 10:10 AM

4,184 posts, read 6,630,628 times
Appearance: Orlando looks nicer, newer and cleaner. Nicer roads, newer buildings, cleaner downtown, etc..

Shopping, Dinning, Night life: Orlando again, Orlando has much more luxury shopping, many more nice restaurants (having 48 million tourists a year helps with that), and better night life.

Beaches: Tampa wins obviously. But Orlando is about 40 mins away from the Atlantic Ocean beaches, where you can actually surf.

Recreation: There about the same but for different things. Tampa has the beaches and everything that comes with that, and Tampa has more professional sports. Orlando has one professional sport (NBA) and Lacrosse, tons of lakes where you can ski and wake board, some of the best golf courses in the US (tiger woods lives in Orlando along with many other pro golfers), Orlando also has beautiful springs. Orlando has many world class theme parks which are very cool to have in town. But Tampa does have bush gardens which is a very large and impressive theme park.

Culture: They both have history culture that is very over looked on this fourm. I'm gonna give it a tie.

Economy: Again I'm gonna give it a tie, there economy's are actually beginning to merge, especially when high speed rail connects the two cities in a few years. I know outside of Tourism both cities have a large technology industry. And Orlando has a huge medical city underway which will create an explosion in its bio tech/ medical industry.

Airports: Orlando wins, Orlando's airports get much more business so they are nicer.

Amenities: Right now Tampa wins, but Orlando is in the process of building a new Arena, Preforming Arts center, and expanding/renovating the football stadium. So after those are complete It will most likely be a tie, and Orlando might have the edge for the preforming arts center.

Here is the new arena opening this fall:

Education: Orlando has the largest university in the state, and 3rd largest in the US (UCF). and many highly rated smaller colleges such as Rollins.

Tampa is a bit more conservative (which I like).

Tampa has a better highway system, which equals less traffic.

Like I said earlier, Tampa and Orlando will soon be connected by high speed rail, creating one big region instead of two separate areas. Orlando is also building a commuter rail system that will be connected with some planned light rail systems.. I'm not sure if Tampa has anything like that planned..

Last edited by GLS2010; 05-31-2010 at 10:40 AM..

Old 05-31-2010, 10:25 AM

Really many highly rated smaller colleges? What is there besides Rollins? Which isn't really that highly rated by the way..

One of the things I guess I'm the only one that enjoys is Disney Wide World of Sports. Between our huge convention center (2nd biggest in the country last I checked) and Disney Wide World of Sports we get so much cool amateur competitions. The Spring Classic (Basketball) was last week. This week there's a Hockey tournament. In two weeks there's going to be a Volleyball tournament. The Atlanta Braves have their spring training. Later in June is a Martial Arts Festival, AAU Baseball, and also a Westling Tournament.

Old 05-31-2010, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
Appearance: Orlando looks nicer, newer and cleaner. Nicer roads, newer buildings, cleaner downtown, etc..

Shopping, Dinning, Night life: Orlando again, Orlando has much more luxury shopping, many more nice restaurants (having 48 million tourists a year helps with that), and better night life.

Beaches: Tampa wins obviously. But Orlando is about 40 mins away from the Atlantic Ocean beaches, where you can actually surf.

Recreation: There about the same but for different things. Tampa has the beaches and everything that comes with that, and Tampa has more professional sports. Orlando has one professional sport (NBA) and Lacrosse, tons of lakes where you can ski and wake board, some of the best golf courses in the US (tiger woods lives in Orlando along with many other pro golfers), Orlando also has beautiful springs. Orlando has many world class theme parks which are very cool to have in town. But Tampa does have bush gardens which is a very large and impressive theme park.

Culture: They both have history culture that is very over looked on this fourm. I'm gonna give it a tie.

Economy: Again I'm gonna give it a tie, there economy's are actually beginning to merge, especially when high speed rail connects the two cities in a few years. I know outside of Tourism both cities have a large technology industry. And Orlando has a huge medical city underway which will create an explosion in its bio tech/ medical industry.

Airports: Orlando wins, Orlando's airports get much more business so they are nicer.

Amenities: Right now Tampa wins, but Orlando is in the process of building a new Arena, Preforming Arts center, and expanding/renovating the football stadium. So after those are complete It will most likely be a tie, and Orlando might have the edge for the preforming arts center.

Here is the new arena opening this fall:

Education: Orlando has the largest university in the state, and 3rd largest in the US (UCF). and many highly rated smaller colleges such as Rollins.

Like I said earlier, Tampa and Orlando will soon be connected by high speed rail, creating one big region instead of two separate areas. Orlando is also building a commuter rail system that will be connected with some planned light rail systems.. I'm not sure is Tampa has anything like that planned..
Pinellas County for sure has one planned.
Hillsborough Tampa Bay Closer to Getting Light Rail The Transport Politic

Old 05-31-2010, 12:06 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,659,247 times
The Pinellas side of Tampa Bay (St. Petersburg/Clearwater) felt "older" to me than Tampa. It was a huge retirement destination for MANY years after all. My mother said some of the best estate sales and thrift stores were down there because of the large population of senior citizens.

However, St. Pete has had a growing gay community over the last decade though, and many are revitalizing a lot of neighborhoods in the city. DT St. Pete had a lot of development of restaurants and bars when I was there. The Tampa side of the Bay seems to get more of the family crowd. Particularly NW Hillsborough and Brandon/Riverview/Valrico. While South Tampa was the most popular area, Seminole Heights and was the "hot" neighborhood at the time I was living there in the mid-2000's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City