Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Orlando 75 39.27%
Tampa 116 60.73%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 10:02 AM

2,413 posts, read 5,720,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
You have Springs? In Tampa? I know there are some near Lakeland/Zephyr Hills but I'm not familiar with any in Tampa. Orlando has multiple in its metro.

And I'm not making it seem like anything, simply stating that the oil is going to hit Tampa. This is not a good thing but it is the case.
Yes, Tampa has springs in its metro, and more direcly oustside of it. And I have been wacthing the news a lot and I must have missed where they said oil was going to wash up in Tampa. Where did you here that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 10:44 AM

2,563 posts, read 6,027,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
Yes, Tampa has springs in its metro, and more direcly oustside of it. And I have been wacthing the news a lot and I must have missed where they said oil was going to wash up in Tampa. Where did you here that?
I heard projections that its going to catch the Gulf Stream and basically make its way around all of Florida and up into the midatlantic. I heard this on NPR but was able to find this link: BP update:More animals die as oil spill hits Florida beaches,Tampa in projected path of oil spill

Old 06-14-2010, 11:24 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,862,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
I just wanted to point out what a great & civil rivalry the "War on I-4" has been, very opposite of most CD threads. Go look at any other same state City vs. City thread like Houston vs. Dallas or whatever. The put downs and insults make commenting in favor of your city a dangerous practice. Even though there have been some attacks in this thread on civic matters like skyline, metro, etc., there haven't been many personal attacks. Maybe we're nicer to each other out of respect for sharing the same crappy interstate. I feel that places like Houston & Dallas are too far apart location, culture, and community wise to share such common ground. You'll never hear somebody from Texas refer to the super region of "Hou-allas" or "Dal-ston," they just don't exist. Even in the northeast corridor where the cities have formed a megalopolis, there is much mud slinging, name calling, and outright hatred between places like Boston & NYC. Maybe it's because we don't have any major sports rivalry. Orlando has the NBA & Tampa has the other three, MLB, NFL, & NHL. Yes, having only one pro sports team is a major shortcoming for Orlando, however I'm glad that we have the NBA which is my favorite. Ĥ

So let the good times roll for now. One day Orlando will pick up another major sports franchise and the warm & fuzzies might fade somewhat. Until then we can pretend to dislike each other and watch some arena football, Go Preds!!
Are you kidding me? Houston and Dalas posters may get into it, but if someone frm outside Texas attacks, we all band together. Go look at the Texas section. It's mostly all in good fun, and a lot of us are "C-D friends" on here. And have you never heard of the Texas Triangle? I hate it when people from outside Texas think they know what they're talking about.

And EnderDrift said earlier that Orlando was a World Cup venue in 1994. It was such a great venue, that it was eliminated early for the upcoming US bid. Tampa is still in it.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
And EnderDrift said earlier that Orlando was a World Cup venue in 1994. It was such a great venue, that it was eliminated early for the upcoming US bid. Tampa is still in it.
...Orlando already hosted, it has little to do with how good or bad it was. The current venues for the US' bid are:
Atlanta, Baltimore, Boston, Dallas, Denver, Houston, Indianapolis, Kansas City, Los Angeles, Miami, Nashville, New York, Philadelphia, Phoenix, San Diego, Seattle, Tampa, and Washington.

That means Chicago, Orlando, San Francisco, and Detroit were all terrible right. 4 of the 9 venues were so bad they removed them right... 4 of the 9 venues that created the largest audience in history were terrible venues... Your post doesn't hold any legitimacy. They mix it up just to mix it up and each venue probably has to bid to be a part of the larger bid. There's a lot more that goes into it than "Your venue was bad you lose!"

Old 06-14-2010, 12:52 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,862,559 times
Quote:
...Orlando already hosted, it has little to do with how good or bad it was. The current venues for the US' bid are:
Atlanta, Baltimore, Boston, Dallas, Denver, Houston, Indianapolis, Kansas City, Los Angeles, Miami, Nashville, New York, Philadelphia, Phoenix, San Diego, Seattle, Tampa, and Washington.

That means Chicago, Orlando, San Francisco, and Detroit were all terrible right. 4 of the 9 venues were so bad they removed them right... 4 of the 9 venues that created the largest audience in history were terrible venues... Your post doesn't hold any legitimacy. They mix it up just to mix it up and each venue probably has to bid to be a part of the larger bid. There's a lot more that goes into it than "Your venue was bad you lose!"
Sensitive post is sensitive. I was just messing with you and knew why Orlando wasn't chosen...it already hosted and time for other cities to get a chance. Not to mention the Citrus Bowl isn't the greatest venue, despite it's location. I also voted for Orlando in the poll. Chill out.

Old 06-14-2010, 04:21 PM

1,416 posts, read 3,195,846 times
Thats the only reason it was not chosen. Venue issues.

Old 06-14-2010, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
Sensitive post is sensitive. I was just messing with you and knew why Orlando wasn't chosen...it already hosted and time for other cities to get a chance. Not to mention the Citrus Bowl isn't the greatest venue, despite it's location. I also voted for Orlando in the poll. Chill out.
...I wasn't being sensitive, I was being factual. I also wasn't worked up in the least.

Old 06-14-2010, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLABoyJ View Post
Thats the only reason it was not chosen. Venue issues.
I think the only reason Orlando would be chosen would be the theme parks. I mean, would any other city Orlando's size get the world cup? No way. Those theme parks are a gift. No matter how you look at it, Orlando would not be the destination it is today without them.

Old 06-14-2010, 05:53 PM

Quote:
I heard projections that its going to catch the Gulf Stream and basically make its way around all of Florida and up into the midatlantic. I heard this on NPR but was able to find this link: BP update:More animals die as oil spill hits Florida beaches,Tampa in projected path of oil spill
Projections? like the same projections that said Hurricane Charley was going to hit Tampa?

Old 06-14-2010, 06:32 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,639,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
I think the only reason Orlando would be chosen would be the theme parks. I mean, would any other city Orlando's size get the world cup? No way. Those theme parks are a gift. No matter how you look at it, Orlando would not be the destination it is today without them.
Disney was a gift I guess, but now Orlando is a mecca for family friendly entertainment. Who cares about the what ifs. Walt Disney picked Orlando for a reason, I hate when people say "if Orlando never got disney... blah blah blah" WHO cares..

Btw, Tampa is barely bigger than Orlando, and sooner or later our populations are going to merge anyways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City