Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 08:57 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,764,499 times

Advertisements

I was watching the travel channel a few days ago and a random lady on the street in Chicago made this statement: "Chicago has all the benefits of New York, but you don't have to worry about someone stealing your wallet on the el train." Paraphrased.

So, I guess this question is for those who are familiar with both places. Is the statement true?

Is NY nothing more than an unsafe Chicago?
(to re-phrase the statement with my twisted logic).

Old 05-29-2010, 09:02 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,067,156 times
New york is more comparable to london,tokyo,paris-great world cities, than chicago. And as far as safety.......have you been watching the news?

Chicago is way more dangerous than new york. NYC is the safest big city in the States

Old 05-29-2010, 09:07 PM

11 posts, read 17,003 times
That is perhaps the funniest thing I've read all week.

NYC is very safe. In fact, according to the FBI, New York is the safest large city in the United States.

New York City Safest Big City in America, FBI Report Finds

Chicago on the other hand is one of the most dangerous cities in the United States. So dangerous that it's lawmakers are considering deploying the national guard to help control it's out of control crime.

Chicago Pols Want National Guard to Help Fight Crime - AOL News

Quote:
Two Chicago lawmakers want the National Guard brought in to help fight a surge of violent crime in the city, saying there is a "war" in Chicago that warrants the same kind of deployment as the U.S. has in the streets of Iraq and Afghanistan.
... and is now compared to Newark in terms of crime

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/...n6484749.shtml

Try watching the news or pulling up crime statistics.

Old 05-29-2010, 09:57 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,067,600 times
I've lived in New York for about 12 years and only stayed in Chicago for a month or so - so naturally I feel safer here since this is where I live. However, I never feel unsafe in New York and I often felt unsafe in Chicago. And I don't really feel like the 2 cities are that comparable. I feel like New York is more similiar to Boston and Washington DC. In Chicago - I definitely felt like I was in the Midwest (which I was, of course), and didn't feel like I was in anything like New York. That being said, I did like Chicago - but it's nothing like NYC and it definitely did not feel safer at all.

Old 05-29-2010, 10:48 PM

749 posts, read 2,445,973 times
Chicago is much more dangerous than NYC.

Old 05-29-2010, 10:52 PM

281 posts, read 1,232,866 times
I have never been to Chicago but when a friend of mine was moving to SF and driving by car from NY his car and everything he had was stolen in "The Windy City"

Old 05-29-2010, 10:56 PM

8,392 posts, read 3,471,042 times
Speaking as a woman who has been to both Chicago and NYC a number of times (admittedly only as a tourist), I have NEVER felt even vaguely unsafe in either city... not even very late at night.

Old 05-29-2010, 11:45 PM

749 posts, read 2,445,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post
Speaking as a woman who has been to both Chicago and NYC a number of times (admittedly only as a tourist), I have NEVER felt even vaguely unsafe in either city... not even very late at night.

I guarantee you wouldn't feel safe as a woman wandering around Harlem, anywhere in the Bronx, most of Brooklyn and Eastern Queens alone at night. The same goes for the South Side or West Side of Chicago. Just picturing a woman from Australia walking around at 3 am in the South Bronx or Cabrini Green asking for directions is almost laughable.

If you're only walking around where tourists visit, you're unlikely to be exposed to anything that would make you feel unsafe.

Old 05-30-2010, 12:10 AM

8,392 posts, read 3,471,042 times
^^ The OP never asked anything about being alone! And I never said anything about wandering around sketchy areas at 3am asking for directions! I would have thought that comes down to common sense... and would be just as dangerous in dodgy parts of London, Sydney, Paris, or just about any other major city.

I stand by my earlier post.

Old 05-30-2010, 12:21 AM

3,717 posts, read 8,152,174 times
Well, seeing as whats going on in Southside Chicago right now I would call it anything but safe. Also seeing as how New York has been named one of the safest big cities in the nation is saying something. Chicago is more like an UNsafe New York. It's still an awesome city though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City