Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you prefer?
Portland 43 34.68%
Denver 81 65.32%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 12:03 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,221,477 times

Advertisements

Actually, I think the two cities are very similar culturally! Both in good ways and bad ways. Both cities are vastly overrated. I live in Denver and would prefer any city in the mountain west, desert southwest, or California over the Pacific Northwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 04:47 PM

9,483 posts, read 16,369,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowboy06 View Post
Denver was rated the most depressing city for its crime, weather, and just plain quality of life, I am a bit too lazy to find the link again where I found that out but it is true. Denver FTW!
I guess alot of the publications have their rating systems. I don't know about Denver's rating or who rated it. I know for 2009 Business Weekly rated Portland the most depressing unhappiest city in the country for the following reasons. Amount of anti depressents prescribed. Suicides. homelessness. Constant high unemployment. Amount of people involved with drugs alcohol. I think property crime was on there also and related to the drugs.

The local news ran stories on it about this time last year and CNN had it on their news programs.

Old 06-09-2010, 05:45 AM

48 posts, read 126,001 times
Some good points in this thread.. but in reality, most of these topics are subjective to what you like or prefer..

Old 06-09-2010, 06:05 AM

221 posts, read 795,063 times
Im surprised Denver is so far ahead. Portland captures a certain urbanity that Denver lacks. It is also far more walkable, bikeable, and has better transit.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:19 PM

129 posts, read 262,245 times
In 1979 Denver metro area was 1 million.

Old 06-09-2010, 06:09 PM

1,134 posts, read 3,170,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erin3465 View Post
Im surprised Denver is so far ahead. Portland captures a certain urbanity that Denver lacks. It is also far more walkable, bikeable, and has better transit.
Definately better transit but Denver isn't a slouch for biking options.

Old 01-31-2011, 03:17 AM

2 posts, read 5,705 times
I like visiting both cities but I like Denver better than Portland. Both cities have a vibrant music, art, and gay culture, and amazing surrounding nature. The only draw back with Portland is that it is less diverse - mostly white people, and it is constantly drizzling and gray... Also Denver has an infinite amount of cool old kitchy dive bars and great venue spaces for live music...

Old 01-31-2011, 03:20 AM

1,591 posts, read 3,413,219 times
Have you people that are voting for Denver actually been to both cities? In my mind there is no comparision. After 3 days in Denver I had run out of things to do. Portland, there is always something. The Downtown is always busy and has a great, dynamic feel to it and there are many great neighborhoods all around the city that sort of flow together to make an interesting, lively, whole.
Denver, eh. didn't seem to have a lot of character. Nice enough city, but honestly I would rather spend any amount of time in Portland over Denver. It's just a much more interesting, fun place.

Old 10-23-2011, 07:36 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,627,926 times
Seems as if alot of people that are siding with Portland are trying to get defend by saying "there isn't anything to do in Denver"....its obvious that who ever says that isn't trying. Honestly...what can you do in Portland that you can't do in Denver? And so far no one has explained why they couldn't find things to do in Denver.

Old 10-23-2011, 07:54 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,061,533 times
Agreed. I always hated the "boring" comment! You can do 99 percent of NYC things in Columbus, Ohio for crying out loud! Granted Denver is the Bigger city, with better weather, and more sports options! A better Performing Arts Center, better museums, etc. Our transit is no slouch! Denver is the clear winner. I grew up in Oregon (Coos Bay, and Roseburg). But Denver is the better city in this comparo! The skiing is better here as well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City