U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Austin 64 48.12%
Sacramento 69 51.88%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 08:01 AM

8,372 posts, read 8,449,885 times

Advertisements

Its all condo boom isnt it? I wonder if they'll be able to absorb all the units. I suppose alot of wealthy UT alums snap them up, as well as high tech execs from other states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 12:00 PM

68 posts, read 101,321 times
Yah, most of the new buildings have been condos. However, downtown has like over 85% occupation rate and all the newly built ones are sold out. Even the extreme luxury ones. However, with so many more people living downtown, commercial is picking up again and several new downtown commercial buildings are planned or will be soon underway. To be fair, none of the new commercial buildings are real tall, don't think any are over 500 feet. However, in this economy, building anything is considered good especially if you can actually lease or sell it.

Old 06-01-2010, 01:14 PM

129 posts, read 222,026 times
Better down town: Austin
Better metro area : Sacramento

Old 06-01-2010, 01:19 PM

10,171 posts, read 12,195,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Its all condo boom isnt it? I wonder if they'll be able to absorb all the units. I suppose alot of wealthy UT alums snap them up, as well as high tech execs from other states.
Yeah a good 80% of it is just all condo boom. Kind of reminds me more of Miami. The only thing is, they're not really overbuilding, they're supplying the amount demanded.

It's a bit different from other Texas cities, because normally most of the buildings in downtown are business buildings, but Austin appears to be an exceptions. Well at least it's taller buildings are.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:14 PM

1,687 posts, read 2,989,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
The Domain has a few high end boutiques but otherwise the same stores can be found in Sacramento-and Roseville Galleria(Louis Vuitton, Tiffany & Co.) is much larger than the Domain as far as shopping. Also, Sacramento has Arden Fair Mall(another very large mall) which has Armani Exchange, Coach, Nordstrom etc.

So I think the Domain wins as far as having more high end boutiques, it doesnt have that many more, and Sac still has two really huge and profitable malls strategically located at both ends of the Metro Area.

Also, Sacramento has a rather large mall in the heart of its CBD called Westfield Downtown Plaza and it has the largest Macy's in the entire Central Valley.

Anyway, Im babbling.

I've never been To Sacramento so I don't know if it has more shopping than Austin I think they may be tied cause besides the Domain we also have the Arboretum,Hill Country Galleria,Barton Creek Square (where Nordstroms is) and Lakeline Mall there's also the outlet mall in San Marcos and the Round Rock Premium outlets there's also shopping downtown on 2nd street no Macy's DT though.

2ND Street District | Shop. Live. Dine | Austin TX

Hill Country Galleria

Tanger Outlet Centers :: San Marcos, Texas :: TangerOutlets

Prime Outlets – San Marcos, Outlet Mall near San Marcos/Austin/San Antonio | 65% Savings on Designer Brands

Round Rock Premium Outlets

Arboretum at Great Hills - Austin, TX 78759 | Simon Malls

Barton Creek Square - Austin, TX 78746 | Simon Malls

Arboretum Market, Austin-Barshop & Oles#

http://www.simon.com/mall/?id=856

http://www.simon.com/mall/?id=227

Old 06-04-2010, 01:34 AM

1,263 posts, read 3,457,060 times
Yes. You really don't need compare common mid-end stores when you compare shopping options because every place has those. The differentiator here is the high-end ones. Austin wins for sure. The Domain in Austin is still expanding by the way. Sacramento really is not that special in terms of high-end shopping although I am sure it has all the common stores just as everywhere does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrn198 View Post
I've never been To Sacramento so I don't know if it has more shopping than Austin I think they may be tied cause besides the Domain we also have the Arboretum,Hill Country Galleria,Barton Creek Square (where Nordstroms is) and Lakeline Mall there's also the outlet mall in San Marcos and the Round Rock Premium outlets there's also shopping downtown on 2nd street no Macy's DT though.

2ND Street District | Shop. Live. Dine | Austin TX

Hill Country Galleria

Tanger Outlet Centers :: San Marcos, Texas :: TangerOutlets

Prime Outlets – San Marcos, Outlet Mall near San Marcos/Austin/San Antonio | 65% Savings on Designer Brands

Round Rock Premium Outlets

Arboretum at Great Hills - Austin, TX 78759 | Simon Malls

Barton Creek Square - Austin, TX 78746 | Simon Malls

Arboretum Market, Austin-Barshop & Oles#

Gateway Center - Austin, TX 78759 | Simon Malls

Lakeline Mall - Cedar Park, TX 78613 | Simon Malls

Old 02-25-2013, 05:39 PM

5,377 posts, read 7,669,891 times
I'll go with Austin. Sacramento seems nice too!

Old 05-13-2016, 01:39 PM

1,018 posts, read 1,163,620 times
Austin is a state capital, like Sacramento, and appears to have similar housing prices. From my outsider California perspective, Austin sounds like what would happen if you took Sacramento's solid base of government jobs, put UC Berkeley within walking distance to downtown (instead of Sac State out in the suburbs), threw in a music scene on par with LA, and added a smaller, but still vibrant tech economy ala Silicon Valley, all while keeping housing prices within reach of the middle class.

On the downside, Austin summer weather is worse than Sacramento and the natural scenery within a 2-5 hour radius is not as impressive. Both are basically car-oriented cities with small areas of walkability & bikability, and maginal transit systems.

Overall I'd probably go with Austin if I had competing job offers that paid the same.

Old 05-13-2016, 05:28 PM

4,453 posts, read 4,456,874 times
Austin is overhyped with what it offers. Sacramento's attributes are rarely talked about or downplayed which I really don't mind. I don't want it to grow any faster than it is now. Steady but slow to moderate growth is a good thing.

Old 05-13-2016, 06:48 PM

3,438 posts, read 2,251,396 times
Austin music scene on par with LA? My god the crazy stuff on this forum...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or