Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2010, 02:09 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,578,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Brother toughguy--

Then stay rooted in your Seattle--with its still relatively recent Asian history. However, don't come on here talking about "outdated and outlandish theories" and "socio-economically black citizens" when you have obvious disdain for black people and holistic U.S. history.

And--like I said I before--the article is really about "so-called" progressive cities really serving as covert-elitist white enclaves. Like an alternative, migratory white flight. (I love how the article parallels moving to these cities with traditional white flight!)
It's no surprise that you didn't address any of my arguments and instead accused me of having disdain for black people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 02:48 PM

1,124 posts, read 3,580,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Are you sure it's mostly blacks? How many Chinatowns, Little Saigons, Little Mexico's, Little Italies, Little etc, etc are there in the US as opposed to Harlems or Baldwin Hills? As a poster said previously, as a white person, you may take the white majority for granted. I mean for the past century whites have been moving OUT of city neighborhoods, at the sign of blacks moving IN. Not to be disrespectful, but a majority of these black meccas, and upper-middle class black neighborhoods, and black owned this and that and the whole black self-segregating mentality, etc, etc, came from, well, uhm, white-Americans. Blacks saw how whites and other races segregated themselves(and still do), and blacks want that same piece of the pie. It's not like discrimination stopped after 1968. The only reason people want to make a big deal over it NOW, is because of the fact it's blacks doing the self-segregation. So now it's more noticeable.
(Sorry I notice i'm the one who's getting off-topic, but this has recently confused me)
I see your point, but I don't know if I fully agree.

and I think tourist stuff like Chinatown's and Little Italy's are a little different.

As far as the self-segregating mentality goes, I think the tendencies affect different types of people. It's generally uneducated white people that try to segregate from blacks, but generally it's the educated, outspoken blacks that are very racially aware. I know it's different because being white in America makes life a little easier, blah, blah, blah, but still. Slavery and extreme racism happened 50 years ago, why can't people just make moves to get past it?

Old 06-02-2010, 02:51 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,222,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronstlcards View Post
(Sorry I notice i'm the one who's getting off-topic, but this has recently confused me)
I think tourist stuff like Chinatown's and Little Italy's are a little different.

As far as the self-segregating mentality goes, I think the tendencies affect different types of people. It's generally uneducated white people that try to segregate from blacks, but generally it's the educated, outspoken blacks that are very racially aware. I know it's different because being white in America makes life a little easier, blah, blah, blah, but still. Slavery and extreme racism happened 50 years ago, why can't people just make moves to get past it?
You know Chinatowns and Little Italy's didn't start out as tourist attractions, right?

And you really seem to get confused quite easily if you don't get what the article is saying or what people have explained to you by now. You're just not going to (or you refuse to), so why don't you just quit while you're ahead?

Old 06-02-2010, 03:00 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,590,704 times
Quote:
Brother toughguy--

Then stay rooted in your Seattle--with its still relatively recent Asian history. However, don't come on here talking about "outdated and outlandish theories" and "socio-economically black citizens" when you have obvious disdain for black people and holistic U.S. history.

And--like I said I before--the article is really about "so-called" progressive cities really serving as covert-elitist white enclaves. Like an alternative, migratory white flight. (I love how the article parallels moving to these cities with traditional white flight!)
I didnt get that from his post at all. I think the point he is trying to make is that because the most visable minority in Seattle are Asians, there are also a large number of them that live in poor neighborhoods. In Atlanta, African-Americans are the largest minority and they make up a large portion of the poor neighborhoods there. I think toughguy was trying to make that connection.

Seattle is home to a very large number of Khmer and Lao people. Traditionally, these people are very poor when they come to the US. They live in the same conditions that many of the African-Americans in the inner city Atlanta or DC live in.

On a local level, when I first moved to Dallas, my wife had a job in Old East Dallas at a pharmacy. What I didnt know was that the area of Old East Dallas she worked in is a Khmer ghetto (I hesitate to call it an enclave). My wife quit her job when she got approached by two different Asian men trying to offer her money for sex. The area is also full of Asian gangs (predominately Khmer). We didnt know that area was big for Asian (Khmer and Lao) prostitutes. That is no different from what goes on in the predominately black, Hispanic, or white impoverished areas of town. A ghetto is a ghetto regardless of race.

Back to the topic, I cannot look at cities like Minneapolis, Portland, and Austin with large liberal white and small African-American communities as racists. I dont think they are. African-Americans I know who live in those cities love them and are treated well. Just because an area isnt diverse or it has a small black community doesnt make it racist.

Old 06-02-2010, 03:03 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,222,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
I didnt get that from his post at all. I think the point he is trying to make is that because the most visable minority in Seattle are Asians, there are also a large number of them that live in poor neighborhoods. In Atlanta, African-Americans are the largest minority and they make up a large portion of the poor neighborhoods there. I think toughguy was trying to make that connection.

Seattle is home to a very large number of Khmer and Lao people. Traditionally, these people are very poor when they come to the US. They live in the same conditions that many of the African-Americans in the inner city Atlanta or DC live in.

On a local level, when I first moved to Dallas, my wife had a job in Old East Dallas at a pharmacy. What I didnt know was that the area of Old East Dallas she worked in is a Khmer ghetto (I hesitate to call it an enclave). My wife quit her job when she got approached by two different Asian men trying to offer her money for sex. The area is also full of Asian gangs. We didnt know that area was big for Asian (Khmer and Lao) prostitutes. That is no different from what goes on in the predominately black, Hispanic, or white impoverished areas of town. A ghetto is a ghetto regardless of race.

Back to the topic, I cannot look at cities like Minneapolis, Portland, and Austin with large liberal white and small African-American communities as racists. I dont think they are.

Interesting points. When I lived in San Diego, there were a lot of Asian gangs, and it was mainly from the Hmong, and Vietnamese populations. Asian gangs are almost unheard of down in the deep south (however, I knew about Asian gangs in Dallas and Houston). When I moved to Mississippi as a kid, of course, people asked me if I knew bloods and crips. I told them that yes, I knew of them, but I also rattled off the Latino and Asian gangs that were in SD too. My nerdy ass was "cool" for a day because I knew about all that. And who said that you can't learn from other people in Public Schools

Last edited by grindin; 06-02-2010 at 03:13 PM..

Old 06-02-2010, 03:07 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,801,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronstlcards View Post
I see your point, but I don't know if I fully agree.

and I think tourist stuff like Chinatown's and Little Italy's are a little different.

I see what you're saying. But extreme racism probably didn't end til 77 or something(maybe 82, I don't know, I was born in 89). I'm just saying, most of the pro-black neighborhoods, aren't ANTI-White. They just offer African-Americans, a living environment in which is out of the norm. Little etc, etc, enclaves aren't much different(some are touristy, MOST aren't touristy though).

Old 06-02-2010, 03:11 PM

364 posts, read 714,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uthorns96 View Post
looks like someone struck a nerve.

And what kind of culture and outlook is that?

And you utter a lot of the same types of falsehoods about the south.

exactly!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-02-2010, 03:12 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,801,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post

On a local level, when I first moved to Dallas, my wife had a job in Old East Dallas at a pharmacy. What I didnt know was that the area of Old East Dallas she worked in is a Khmer ghetto (I hesitate to call it an enclave). My wife quit her job when she got approached by two different Asian men trying to offer her money for sex. The area is also full of Asian gangs (predominately Khmer). We didnt know that area was big for Asian (Khmer and Lao) prostitutes. That is no different from what goes on in the predominately black, Hispanic, or white impoverished areas of town. A ghetto is a ghetto regardless of race.

Back to the topic, I cannot look at cities like Minneapolis, Portland, and Austin with large liberal white and small African-American communities as racists. I dont think they are. African-Americans I know who live in those cities love them and are treated well. Just because an area isnt diverse or it has a small black community doesnt make it racist.
I've heard of the Asian gangs in Dallas. They even had an episode of Walker Texas Ranger in which they dealt with Asian gangs. But I knew of Dallas's Asian crime scene.

Old 06-02-2010, 03:23 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,901,258 times
Quote:
Brother toughguy--

What the HELL are you talking about? Your post makes it seem like asians are somehow less of a minority than blacks.

Quote:
Our cities have done an excellent job of providing efficient public transportation systems, density, and good urban infrastructures where your cities have failed. Stop whining.

Old 06-02-2010, 03:25 PM

364 posts, read 714,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
During all the tension, they used to call Atlanta as "the busy that was too busy to discriminate" during MLK's time.
Atlanta has had a large and strong black "upper class" since the late 1800's. Think Sweet Auburn Ave, and people such as W.E.B. Dubois, Alonzo Herndon, John Wesley Dobbs among others. Because of that, even though Im sure some racist people were not to far away, the economic and political engine that is Atlanta's black community was in place even way back then, so there was only so much that could happen to them. I find it hilarious when people talk about the south being un-progressive when in Atlanta we desegregated schools years and sometimes decades before many of the cities up north even thought about it, and without incident I might add. Unlike some "progressive cities" like Boston. Not to mention that growing up in the south I had never been called a racial slur. The only time I've had that happen is in Chicago, not once but twice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City