Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2012, 03:30 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,801,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I don't know anybody who thinks those cities are anti-black. I think some simply find it peculiar that a city many white people go nuts about coincidentally has few black people.
As if those same White people don't love NYC. What's REALLY peculiar is, how minorities in cities like NYC don't like the influx of "those kinda Whites" in their neighborhoods. Hmm, perhaps it's Black self-segregation? The same reason why Blacks won't move to "THOSE" cities. Those same Whites probably find it peculiar that the cities that ARE predominantly White aren't frequented by Blacks for whatever reason. Who does that say more about? The Whites who simply live in those cities, or the the Blacks that refuse to live there due to preconceived notions of the city and choose to self-segregate? Do Whites go crazy about those cities because of their lack of Blackness as you said, or is it reversed, as in Blacks hating those cities due to their abundance of Whiteness? Saying a city is "Lily White" is often seen as a pejorative on C-D and in real life when determining whether a city is diverse or not. What does that say about the person who uses that as a pejorative? Kiiiinda racist. Just sayin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 03:44 PM

31,882 posts, read 34,379,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Those same Whites probably find it peculiar that the cities that ARE predominantly White aren't frequented by Blacks for whatever reason. Who does that say more about? The Whites who simply live in those cities, or the the Blacks that refuse to live there due to preconceived notions of the city and choose to self-segregate?
It's not even that deep. Most black people move to a city like Atlanta because they have family or friends there. The migratory pattern is self-reinforcing. They don't "refuse" to move to Portland. Portland is not even on the radar for most black people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Do Whites go crazy about those cities because of their lack of Blackness as you said, or is it reversed, as in Blacks hating those cities due to their abundance of Whiteness? Saying a city is "Lily White" is often seen as a pejorative on C-D and in real life when determining whether a city is diverse or not. What does that say about the person who uses that as a pejorative? Kiiiinda racist. Just sayin.
Not really. America kinda, sorta has had a history of white people excluding black people, ya know. So it's not too unreasonable for many black people to have that perception.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:57 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,801,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
It's not even that deep. Most black people move to a city like Atlanta because they have family or friends there. The migratory pattern is self-reinforcing. They don't "refuse" to move to Portland. Portland is not even on the radar for most black people.

Not really. America kinda, sorta has had a history of white people excluding black people, ya know. So it's not too unreasonable for many black people to have that perception.
But what you said about White people being crazy about the Portland's and Seattle's, well you have to clarify WHICH White people? Maybe the White's that like those cities enjoy Mountain climbing and skiing? Most of the White's that like those cities are outdoorsy people. Even if White's did go crazy over those cities because of their Whiteness, is it any different than Blacks going crazy over Atlanta because of it's Blackness? Is Atlanta "anti-White"? Would a Conservative White person feel more comfortable in Portland and Seattle than he/she would in Atlanta? There's a difference between White Flight/Racism and just being an Outdoorsy/Liberal/Nature-Loving/Bohemian White person.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:29 PM

16,505 posts, read 26,092,111 times
People live where they want to. I would live in Portland, not long because I wouldn't feel comfortable for a long time period.
Blacks don't move to Portland because it doesn't cater to them. Would whites want to move to a metro area that was 80% black? Whites are the majority in this country, they will be represented and have a history everywhere.

Old 05-03-2012, 06:14 PM

8,631 posts, read 12,918,017 times
The cities that are located in the Pacific Northwest have never really had a huge Black Migration like other west coast cities like San Francisco and Los Angeles have had throughout their history. I believe that this is one of the main reasons why the black population is not very high in cities like Portland and Seattle. In modern Black Migration trends, it seems that African Americans are moving to cities that have warmer weather. The Pacific Northwest provides almost the exact opposite in that type of quality that attracts Black Migration today.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:37 PM

1,704 posts, read 3,420,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
People live where they want to. I would live in Portland, not long because I wouldn't feel comfortable for a long time period.
Blacks don't move to Portland because it doesn't cater to them. Would whites want to move to a metro area that was 80% black? Whites are the majority in this country, they will be represented and have a history everywhere.
I think you've pointed out the difference, though. The fact that whites are the majority would make it much harder for them to imagine a situation in which they aren't the majority. They would be moving from the majority to the minority, whereas non-whites would usually be moving from one minority to another.
It seems a little silly to me to say that Portland doesn't cater to blacks. What on earth does that mean? Do they not sell darker shades of foundation in Portland? The fact that Portland has a high percentage of white people does not mean it doesn't "cater" to black people, it just means a lot of people there have light skin.
If it's truly equality we're after, this shouldn't be a factor in decision-making. I find it interesting that there are a million statistics about skin color in cities, but next to no information about handedness or hair color in the same context. Maybe someday skin color will seem just as meaningless a trait.

Old 05-04-2012, 01:30 AM

13,685 posts, read 15,586,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
I think you've pointed out the difference, though. The fact that whites are the majority would make it much harder for them to imagine a situation in which they aren't the majority. They would be moving from the majority to the minority, whereas non-whites would usually be moving from one minority to another.
It seems a little silly to me to say that Portland doesn't cater to blacks. What on earth does that mean? Do they not sell darker shades of foundation in Portland? The fact that Portland has a high percentage of white people does not mean it doesn't "cater" to black people, it just means a lot of people there have light skin.
If it's truly equality we're after, this shouldn't be a factor in decision-making. I find it interesting that there are a million statistics about skin color in cities, but next to no information about handedness or hair color in the same context. Maybe someday skin color will seem just as meaningless a trait.
Catering to a certain race mean's cultural offerings. For instance, you mentioned hair, how many places sell black hair products? This is a very common problem actually. How much nightlife caters to an upscale hip hop and R&B crowd? I'm not talking about Top 40 by the way. Every city has a ghetto, not every city has classy establishments that specialize in certain musical genres. What about reggae? Are there any upscale soul food restaurants? I could go on and on but you get the point. This is about culture not skin color. The more people from a certain culture, the more cultural offerings there are. If we are talking about Asians, how many international food markets are there? There are all different types of things people desire in their community. When someone moves to certain cities, that city may lack in somethings making it less desirably for certain races.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:09 AM

8,631 posts, read 12,918,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Catering to a certain race mean's cultural offerings. For instance, you mentioned hair, how many places sell black hair products? This is a very common problem actually. How much nightlife caters to an upscale hip hop and R&B crowd? I'm not talking about Top 40 by the way. Every city has a ghetto, not every city has classy establishments that specialize in certain musical genres. What about reggae? Are there any upscale soul food restaurants? I could go on and on but you get the point. This is about culture not skin color. The more people from a certain culture, the more cultural offerings there are. If we are talking about Asians, how many international food markets are there? There are all different types of things people desire in their community. When someone moves to certain cities, that city may lack in somethings making it less desirably for certain races.
Great post!

Old 05-04-2012, 05:27 PM

1,704 posts, read 3,420,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Exactly. That's what I'm trying to say. Skin color shouldn't have anything to do with it. That's what I was responding to.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:56 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,934,979 times
Honestly I think Austin being so "progressive and modern" is kinda overblown. It is STILL in Texas and no way do I think it's on the same level as the Pacific Northwest or coastal California in that regard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City