Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 12:25 PM

91,994 posts, read 122,107,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think most of the Blacks moving to the Northeast are those from the Caribbean and or Africa. It seems most Black Americans are fleeing the Northeast and headed for the South just like Blacks from every other non-Southern region.
It depends. Many move back to the Northeast or from the major cities in the region to smaller cities within the same region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 12:31 PM

91,994 posts, read 122,107,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMTman View Post
Very few of the western cities have large black populations. Portland is 6.3% black; Los Angeles is 8.7%, according to the census.
US2010

US2010

This information is in a socio-historical context.

Old 05-17-2012, 12:32 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,006,304 times
Austin is NOT "anti-black".... that's ridiculous. It's just that the largest minority group is Hispanic/Latino. Austin is also far less white in % than a lot of these other places mentioned.

Old 05-17-2012, 12:35 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,127,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Seattle is only a little whiter than Nashville, it's just that Nashville has a much larger percentage of African-Americans. The author of the article almost makes it sound like the only two races that matter are black and white. A low African-American population hardly means a city is completely white, it just means that African-Americans haven't moved there in large numbers. Maybe they don't like the weather?

Is Nashville a backward city due to the low Asian population? Seattle has over twice as many African-Americans as Nashville has Asians.
You make good points. People DO seem to only concern themselves with black and white, or even non-white, as opposed to cultural/ethnic/religious/socioeconomic differences that make true cosmopolitain, international cities so cool. When I'm in a city drug store, and I hear 3 or 4 different languages in the 10 minutes I'm inside, I think THAT's a sign of diversity. If I'm in a store in a city and the only thing I see are black, english-speaking African Americans who are all middle class and all have a Southern accent, I DON'T think that's "diversity".....but I'd be unique in thinking that way here on C-D!

Old 05-17-2012, 12:38 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,127,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think most of the Blacks moving to the Northeast are those from the Caribbean and or Africa. It seems most Black Americans are fleeing the Northeast and headed for the South just like Blacks from every other non-Southern region.
There's a smattering of non-South cities that are growing in black population (even African Americans, instead of Africans or Carribeans):

Columbus, OH
Indianapolis
Minneapolis-St. Paul
Seattle

Most of these cities aren't growing at break-neck speed either (except Seattle probably), and none of them have "ideal" weather. However, in the grand scheme of things, this population pales in comparison to the one that is migrating South....yes.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,288 times
As a former resident of Austin, one that just so happens to be African American, I'd like to contribute to this discussion.

I wouldn't go so far as to say Austin is anti-black in the sense that they openly discriminate against Afrrican Americans on a city-wide, institutional level. Nor would I claim that the city or the majority of its residents proactively dissuade African Americans from residing in the town.

That said, one thing that always struck me as odd during my adolescent years in Austin was the lack of sidewalks on the east side. I know it seems like a small thing, but it really says a lot. For those who do not know, the east side used to be teh primarily African American side. Going back a few years, to the reconstruction era, african americans were forced to live East of I-35 per segregation.

When I was younger, the most readily identifiable marker to point to demonstrate a lack of caring for the black population in Austin was the lack of sidewalks for children to walk and play on. Nowadays, it's the rampant gentrification that leads to displacement of Austin's poorest residents on the east side. Every month, a new condo is built on the east side, every cycle, property rates are going up and up, and every week, people who spent their entire lives living in East austin are forced out because they can no longer afford to live in a place their ancestors were condemned to during the erconstruction period. And the city government encourages all this displacement.

I don't think the city of Austin dislikes African Americans.

I just think they don't care about us.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:41 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,266,904 times
Only because sometimes "progressive/modern" means heavily gentrifying and therefore economically stratified. It is segregation, but not the Jim Crow version we all think of when we hear that word. Progressive/Modern seems like a synonym for (white) young urban professionals, indicative of a certain income bracket.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:22 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,037,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yu_darvish View Post
As a former resident of Austin, one that just so happens to be African American, I'd like to contribute to this discussion.

I wouldn't go so far as to say Austin is anti-black in the sense that they openly discriminate against Afrrican Americans on a city-wide, institutional level. Nor would I claim that the city or the majority of its residents proactively dissuade African Americans from residing in the town.

That said, one thing that always struck me as odd during my adolescent years in Austin was the lack of sidewalks on the east side. I know it seems like a small thing, but it really says a lot. For those who do not know, the east side used to be teh primarily African American side. Going back a few years, to the reconstruction era, african americans were forced to live East of I-35 per segregation.

When I was younger, the most readily identifiable marker to point to demonstrate a lack of caring for the black population in Austin was the lack of sidewalks for children to walk and play on. Nowadays, it's the rampant gentrification that leads to displacement of Austin's poorest residents on the east side. Every month, a new condo is built on the east side, every cycle, property rates are going up and up, and every week, people who spent their entire lives living in East austin are forced out because they can no longer afford to live in a place their ancestors were condemned to during the erconstruction period. And the city government encourages all this displacement.

I don't think the city of Austin dislikes African Americans.

I just think they don't care about us.
That's the case for most AA communities. Lack of proper infrastructure and upkeep. People want to sit around and complain about these areas, but don't realize why things have yet to progress or change in these communities. No jobs, lack of educational programs, and more.

Old 05-21-2012, 02:49 PM

10 posts, read 39,710 times
Quote=blkgiraffe;14410050] And you have areas in Portland ,Seattle, Denver, and Austin that are nearly all white.[/quote]
I find this topic quite funny because while visiting some friends in Boston a few years ago they proceeded to say over and over people from Boston were so much more open minded than people from anywhere in the south especially Richmond, Va.
One of the reasons I found this comment so amusing is because Richmond, Va is 67% black, and there are neighborhoods here quite mixed. During all of my visits to Boston I never once saw a neighborhood mixed as much as the neighborhood I live.
The neighborhood I live in Richmond has more black people than white people. However, the white population is growing quite fast. Most of the cause for the white people moving to the area is because if gentrification, and the empty nesters returning to the city along with young couples.
Realizing I am not writing about the cities mentioned in this particular article...I do agree with someone's earlier post. If Portland had a huge influx of black people, they would be far less open minded. I can write this because I live in a neighborhood that is over 70% black still.
However, it is human nature for a race of people to steer toward areas where most of their own people live. You rarely see a neighborhood like the one I live in, but it is changing colors. The liberals use the word gentrification meaning ( white people are buying houses in lower income black areas of a city).
Some of the people here if not most will be black...do not continue being fooled by the so-called liberal white man. They have a more politically correct way of wording their feelings of racism than an ordinary white/black conservative. I am white and should know my own race, and I will admit I do not want to live amongst more black people than white. I grew up in a white household, and it's only natural for me to gravitate to my own race/culture.
However, I have done a lot of volunteer work with inner city youth, and love every minute of it. Although, I do volunteer with these children I blame their parents for their lack of supervision. The parents are responsible for the actions of their children until they reach a certain age. I make no excuses for a black child who is just lazy and refuses to try anymore than I make an excuse for a white child doing the same thing.
The black parents of some of these children know where I stand, but love me because I do not put up with the B/S excuses from the children. If your parents, care or a grandmother, grandfather, aunt, uncle etc. and a child knows an adult really cares about them...they'll try and do as well as possible in school.
Wake-up black and white before it is to late for any of our children.

Old 05-21-2012, 04:15 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,819,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danvillegone View Post
Quote=blkgiraffe;14410050] And you have areas in Portland ,Seattle, Denver, and Austin that are nearly all white.
I find this topic quite funny because while visiting some friends in Boston a few years ago they proceeded to say over and over people from Boston were so much more open minded than people from anywhere in the south especially Richmond, Va.
One of the reasons I found this comment so amusing is because Richmond, Va is 67% black, and there are neighborhoods here quite mixed. During all of my visits to Boston I never once saw a neighborhood mixed as much as the neighborhood I live.
The neighborhood I live in Richmond has more black people than white people. However, the white population is growing quite fast. Most of the cause for the white people moving to the area is because if gentrification, and the empty nesters returning to the city along with young couples.
Realizing I am not writing about the cities mentioned in this particular article...I do agree with someone's earlier post. If Portland had a huge influx of black people, they would be far less open minded. I can write this because I live in a neighborhood that is over 70% black still.
However, it is human nature for a race of people to steer toward areas where most of their own people live. You rarely see a neighborhood like the one I live in, but it is changing colors. The liberals use the word gentrification meaning ( white people are buying houses in lower income black areas of a city).
Some of the people here if not most will be black...do not continue being fooled by the so-called liberal white man. They have a more politically correct way of wording their feelings of racism than an ordinary white/black conservative. I am white and should know my own race, and I will admit I do not want to live amongst more black people than white. I grew up in a white household, and it's only natural for me to gravitate to my own race/culture.
However, I have done a lot of volunteer work with inner city youth, and love every minute of it. Although, I do volunteer with these children I blame their parents for their lack of supervision. The parents are responsible for the actions of their children until they reach a certain age. I make no excuses for a black child who is just lazy and refuses to try anymore than I make an excuse for a white child doing the same thing.
The black parents of some of these children know where I stand, but love me because I do not put up with the B/S excuses from the children. If your parents, care or a grandmother, grandfather, aunt, uncle etc. and a child knows an adult really cares about them...they'll try and do as well as possible in school.
Wake-up black and white before it is to late for any of our children. [/quote]

Speak for yourself please, because as a white liberal, I don't find this statement to be 100% true. It CAN be true, but it's not 100% (or anywhere close for that matter). Some people are more honest with their feelings than others, yes, but politics have almost nothing to do with it (IMO) and it really comes down to your experiences and who you are as a person.

At the end of the day, I find 99.9% of ALL people to have something great to offer society. I find that 5%-10% of ALL people are just going to cause trouble of some kind, rich or poor, black or white, etc. And I find that I truly "get along" or have that platonic relationship with fewer than 5% of ALL people, and the rest I just have to play nice and deal with the fact that we're not going to have a close relationship....no matter how hard I try.

I've found that this applies to ALL people, and I haven't yet seen a trend amongst races, ethnicities or socionomic sub-types (except foreign languages, for that little communication aspect).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City