Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 12:51 PM

1,588 posts, read 4,046,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
I would say Raleigh has much more in common with dynamos like Atlanta, Houston, Charlotte, Dallas, and Nashville--

Not the "so-called progressive" cities of Portland, Austin, Seattle, etc.
Looks like Raleigh and Charlotte fit in with Portland, Austin, Seattle, etc... Nashville's demographics aren't very impressive at all.

Raleigh: 680,746
Black or African American alone: 139,430
American Indian and Alaska Native alone: 2,334

Asian: 32,672
Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander alone: 213
Hispanic or Latino: 60,059

Foreign born: 83,608

Charlotte: 952,806
Black or African American: 258,921

American Indian and Alaska Native: 3,025

Asian: 32,013

Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander: 319

Hispanic or Latino (of any race): 110,306

Foreign born: 124,054

Nashville – Davidson: 819,155
Black or African American: 182,935
American Indian and Alaska Native: 2,106
Asian: 22,299
Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander: 968
Hispanic or Latino (of any race): 58,570
Foreign born: 77,554

Last edited by BlackOut; 06-01-2010 at 01:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 12:53 PM

91,994 posts, read 122,107,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronstlcards View Post
I find it interesting that people are just pointing out random facts about a city's blackness, just to prove an odd point.

Anyway, I don't really understand this article.
I think what the article is trying to say is that when you think of "progressive" you think of openness, acceptance, "diversity" in terms of balance and moving forward. With the focus on the Black communities of these cities, I think it is trying to show how these cities might not be too different from other cities that don't run with the "progressive" tag. So, I think the author feels that those cities should be attracting or should have Black communities that are at or above the average due to their reputations. This could question said cities ability to attract a certain group of people or even question the city's "progressive" tag, because in general, people tend to associate Black people with words like "liberal" or "progressive" .

I think the author doesn't think about aspects like economy, geography, climate, migration patterns and history. Hence, I think this is where others find the article to be odd or off a bit.

Also, what can be misleading about this article is the urban and county percentages. In Upstate NY, most Black people tend to live in the urban areas. So, most of the major cities in Upstate NY are in the high 20's to about 40% in terms of percentage, with most of the "mid-major" cities(Niagara Falls, Troy, Schenectady, Utica, Binghamton and Elmira) being in the 10-20% Black range. If you look at the counties of the major cities though, they are around the national average, give or take. So, are these counties viewed in the same way as the counties with the progressive cities? Heck, NYC's Black percentage is lower or slightly lower than Buffalo's, Rochester's, Albany's and Syracuse's now. So, it is interesting to see how people have this perception on certain cities based on their demographics.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-01-2010 at 01:10 PM..

Old 06-01-2010, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
Looks like Raleigh fits in with Portland, Austin, Seattle, etc...

Raleigh: 680,746
Black or African American alone: 139,430
American Indian and Alaska Native alone: 2,334
Asian: 32,672
Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander alone: 213
Hispanic or Latino: 60,059
Foreign born: 83,608
How? I think the difference is the aspect of history. Meaning, Raleigh has a Black community with a long history and with a historically high volume in terms of the percentage of the people of that area. It would be higher, if the migration of White Northerners wasn't as high as it has been within the last 20 years or so.

Old 06-01-2010, 01:00 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,605,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Those are the ones who have lived there all there life, and just want a change of scenary. Austin's black community(epecially Haitians, and Nigerians, and other African and Caribbean nations) are growing. Don't beleive everything in those magazines.
It may be growing, but last census had it at 8.5%, that's VERY low, coming from an AA who has visited the city. I wouldn't hesitate to live there though.

Old 06-01-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
It may be growing, but last census had it at 8.5%, that's VERY low, coming from an AA who has visited the city. I wouldn't hesitate to live there though.
Wow, that is much lower than I thought it would be. I think nearby San Antonio is similar in that regard as well, if not lower.

Old 06-01-2010, 01:14 PM

1,588 posts, read 4,046,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
How? I think the difference is the aspect of history. Meaning, Raleigh has a Black community with a long history and with a historically high volume in terms of the percentage of the people of that area. It would be higher, if the migration of White Northerners wasn't as high as it has been within the last 20 years or so.
How? Well, all of these so-called progressive cities / urban areas (yes, Raleigh is considered progressive) are over 60% white.

Old 06-01-2010, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
How? Well, all of these so-called progressive cities / urban areas (yes, Raleigh is considered progressive) are over 60% white.
So, what? That is about the national average, if not slightly below the national average. You could also say that Raleigh's Black percentage is more than twice the national average too. So, it is a matter of perspective.

Old 06-01-2010, 01:21 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,222,954 times
^^Those stats regarding Raleigh are not including the Durham side of the Triangle, where the majority of Blacks in the RDU Triangle live.

Old 06-01-2010, 01:22 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,901,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
I thought it was well known that the PNW and Texas(Juneteenth anybody?) were hostile towards blacks moreso than most of the country.
You don't know what you're talking about. There has never been a large black population in Portland because the city was never a center of black domestic migration. Now blacks tend not to move to places like Portland, because there isn't a strong African-American community there. Equating a small black population to being anti-black is one of the stupidest conclusions I have ever seen drawn on this site. Portland certainly isn't a destination for African-Americans, but its not anti-black.

The city of Raleigh is only 3.8% Asian, does that make it anti-asian??? No, of course not.

Portland, Seattle, Austin, etc. are still some of the most progressive cities in the country and I honestly couldn't care less how many black people live in them.

Old 06-01-2010, 01:26 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,578,714 times
Opinion: America's Most Diverse ZIP Code Shows the Way - AOL News

Lets take a look at some demographics....Atlanta is only 2% Asian. Does that make it "hostile to Asians"? Can Atlanta be considered progressive when a huge minority group is severely under-represented (Seattle has over 6x the percentage of Asians)?

Last edited by toughguy; 06-01-2010 at 01:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City