Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which place is better?
Atlanta 152 53.52%
New Orleans 132 46.48%
Voters: 284. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 07:18 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,434,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prytania View Post
I'm going to be in Atlanta this weekend.

I'll be the white girl with the LA plates driving to Piedmont Park blasting the Rebirth Brass Band.
:whistles "Do Whatcha Wanna":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMiZ-AStkO4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GBDxUbm144

Last edited by WestbankNOLA; 06-24-2010 at 07:45 PM..

Old 06-24-2010, 07:19 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,381,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prytania View Post
I'm going to be in Atlanta this weekend.

I'll be the white girl with the LA plates driving to Piedmont Park blasting the Rebirth Brass Band.
You'll probably blend right in...depending on what time you intend to go to Piedmont that is..lol

Old 06-24-2010, 07:45 PM

My favorite

YouTube - Hot 8 Brass Band - We Are One

Old 10-14-2010, 12:55 AM

1,073 posts, read 1,382,183 times
You can't compare one the most beloved and interesting cities in the history of this nation (New Orleans) to a superficial city with an identity crises (Atlanta)

Old 10-14-2010, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceter View Post
You can't compare one the most beloved and interesting cities in the history of this nation (New Orleans) to a superficial city with an identity crises (Atlanta)
You know you just opened a can of worms (maybe I should peaches instead) right?

Anyway, the discussion of which of the two were more "southern" came up in another thread. Some Atlantans argued that Atlanta was hardly southern and that New Orleans was "definitively" southern. I argued that Atlanta possessed more of the stereotypical "southern" characteristics and culture. I think that this thread -> How "southern" (or not) is New Orleans? <- would add a balanced perspective to that argument.

Old 10-14-2010, 02:02 AM

1,581 posts, read 2,809,115 times
Given the choice most def New Orleans
1. culture- New Or.
2. shopping - New or. Atlanta not even same leage
3. restaurants - no comparison New Orleans world famous food
4. economy - Close call New Orleans a little down but tourism is a more stable economy than atlanta.
5.Quality of life - Party city USA New Orleans.
6. Housing cost - New Orleans has lots of fixer uppers ,rental cost,and housing is like 32.5% less than Atlanta (wikepidia)
7. Public Transportation - New Orleans they have an extensive city wide trolley system. Atlanta has heavy rail wich is good to get in and out of the city but not as an inner city mode of tranportation. So New Orleans.
8. Night Life - no questions New Orleans
9. Art Galleries - New Orleans has a much larger art gallery scene supported by tourism.
10. Weather - New Orleans Year Around .
11. Parks - New Orleans
12 . Music Scene - New Orleans famous for there extensive music scene and clubs.
13 . The WINNER IS= New Orleans

Old 10-14-2010, 07:44 AM

442 posts, read 822,433 times
lol this is so silly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcouger View Post
1. culture- New Or.
This is subjective.
Quote:
2. shopping - New or. Atlanta not even same league
Atlanta not in the same league? Are you kidding me? Atlanta rivals other world cities with its shopping options. New Orleans is only good for its region.
Quote:
I would let this slide for local food, but Atlanta has much more high class restaurants then NOLA
Quote:
4. economy - Close call New Orleans a little down but tourism is a more stable economy than atlanta.
This is probably the most wrong thing you have said. Atlanta's economy doing worse then New Orleans because New Orleans has tourism? ahaha, We are talking about a city with a handful of fortune anything companies vs one with in the top 10 with the number of Fortune 500 located there.

Quote:
There is way more to quality of life than partying and ATL has that covered.

Quote:
6. Housing cost - New Orleans has lots of fixer uppers ,rental cost,and housing is like 32.5% less than Atlanta (wikepidia)
That is a lie. The average cost is about the same.

Quote:
7. Public Transportation - New Orleans they have an extensive city wide
trolley system. Atlanta has heavy rail wich is good to get in and out of the city but not as an inner city mode of tranportation. So New Orleans.
Trolly does not go to the suburbs so no NOLA does not win.

Quote:
When it the last time DeadMouse
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs731.snc4/65173_447442138119_111404718119_5216381_1532328_n. jpg (broken link)
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...d=111404718119

Played in your city?
Quote:
9. Art Galleries - New Orleans has a much larger art gallery scene supported by tourism.
says who?

Quote:
Subjective. I grew up on the Gulf coast and the humidity is no joke.

Quote:
11. Parks - New Orleans
ATL has way bigger and visually stunning parks. Don't be silly.

Quote:
12 . Music Scene - New Orleans famous for there extensive music scene and clubs.
How often does the top djs in the world come to your city?

Armin Van Burren

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs434.snc4/47714_436713843119_111404718119_4994991_5110834_n. jpg (broken link)
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...5.111404718119
how many indie or metal bands have came out of NOLA compared to ATL or Athens (which is only up the road).

Last edited by sk8t; 10-14-2010 at 08:31 AM..

Old 10-14-2010, 07:51 AM

1,937 posts, read 4,685,779 times
Quote:
1. culture- New Or.
2. shopping - New or. Atlanta not even same leage
7. Public Transportation - New Orleans they have an extensive city wide trolley system. Atlanta has heavy rail wich is good to get in and out of the city but not as an inner city mode of tranportation. So New Orleans.
11. Parks - New Orleans
13 . The WINNER IS= New Orleans

You must be from NO.. Sorry to say NO probably wins the food category and that's it.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8t View Post
Atlanta not in the same league? Are you kidding me? Atlanta rivals other world cities with its shopping options.
That maybe true, Atlanta is definitely ahead of New Orleans in terms of shopping. I don't know if Atlanta rivals Los Angeles, Miami, and New York though.

Quote:
I would let this slide for local food, but Atlanta has much more high class restaurants then NOLA
I don't know where you can find a "high class" restaurant per capita count, but don't think New Orleans is limited to local food by a long shot.[/quote]

Quote:
This is probably the most wrong thing you have said. Atlanta's economy doing worse then New Orleans because New Orleans has tourism? ahaha, We are talking about a city with a handful of fortune anything companies vs one with in the top 10 with the number of Fortune 500 located there.
I wouldn't say that New Orleans is doing better and is stable because of tourism. The recession here as been steady since the recession on the other hand due to oil, shipping, reconstruction,

Quote:
There is way more to quality of life than partying and ATL has that covered.
Elaborate on this for me....

Quote:
That is a lie. The average cost is about the same.
The cost of living is definitely higher in New Orleans than it is Atlanta. You can barely find a run down shotgun house in New Orleans for under $80,000 and that's $80k is a deal. That's not even adding insurance costs, etc.

Quote:
Trolly does not go to the suburbs so no NOLA does not win.
New Orleans, transit is more extensive if I'm not mistaken and the metro (Southshore) as coverage all throughout the suburbs. Atlanta wins because it has the heavy rail. That's it.

Quote:
When it the last time DeadMouse Played in your city?
A couple of months back.

Quote:
says who?
New Orleans art galleries are not supported by tourists, but there are plenty of them.

Quote:
Subjective. I grew up on the Gulf coast and the humidity is no joke.
Atlanta wins in the summer, New Orleans wins in the winter.

Quote:
ATL has way bigger and visually stunning parks. Don't be silly.
New Orleans has the "6th-largest and 7th-most-visited urban public park in the United States". How visually stunning parks are is subjective, but the major parks in N.O. are not slacking, trust me.

Quote:
How often does the top djs in the world come to your city?
Do you have any idea how many artists and events come to this city in a year?

Quote:
how many indie or metal bands have came out of NOLA compared to ATL or Athen (which is only up the road).
I'm not into metal so I couldn't even start to answer this, but that's one genre. New Orleans has created Bounce, Brassband, Jazz, etc. Down the road you have Zydeco and NuStep and some more stuff.

Here's what the Wiki article says.
"Additionally, the wave of popularity of cowpunk, a fast form of southern rock, originated with the help of several local bands, such as The Radiators, Better Than Ezra, Cowboy Mouth, and Dash Rip Rock. Throughout the 1990s, many sludge metal bands started in the area. New Orleans' heavy metal bands like Eyehategod,[74] Soilent Green,[75] Crowbar,[76] and Down[77] have incorporated styles such as hardcore punk, doom metal, and southern rock to create an original and heady brew of swampy and aggravated metal that has largely avoided standardization.[74][75][76][77]"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
You must be from NO.. Sorry to say NO probably wins the food category and that's it.
Apparently he isn't.
1. He said "trolley"
2. His description of N.O. sounds like what you would get from an outsider.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:04 AM

1,937 posts, read 4,685,779 times
Does NO have this??? A big "NO"
Attached Thumbnails
Atlanta vs New Orleans-skdsc_1774res900.jpg   Atlanta vs New Orleans-2evciv4.jpg   Atlanta vs New Orleans-buckhead-st-mtn.jpg   Atlanta vs New Orleans-skdsc_1813res900.jpg   Atlanta vs New Orleans-skdsc_1761res900.jpg  

Atlanta vs New Orleans-skdsc_1970res900.jpg   Atlanta vs New Orleans-skdsc_1835res900.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City