Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which place is better?
Atlanta 152 53.52%
New Orleans 132 46.48%
Voters: 284. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 11:08 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,831,362 times

Advertisements

Atlanta all day..

Old 10-15-2010, 08:13 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,419,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post

Do you have any idea how many artists and events come to this city in a year?

I'm pretty sure it's alot but it's ridiculous how many come to Atlanta in the Hip Hop category alone. I'm not really fond of the phrase "Black Hollywood" but there's a big reason some people have been calling Atlanta that lately.

Here's just some of the events that have taken place in Atlanta this year when it comes to hip hop /urban entertainment.

Ludacris, Tyrese, Chris Brown, Rhianna, Ciara, Lorentz Tate, Kelly Rowland, , Terrence J, Allen Iverson and alot more hanging out on During Luda Day Weekend at Mansion Elan.

Luda Day Weekend @ Mansion Elan on Vimeo

Amerie, Jermaine Dupree, Angela and Vanessa Simmons, Bow Wow, Vivica A. Fox, Young Dro, Nivea, Allen Iverson and Jazzy Pha hangin out at Chambers of Tao Geisha House.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUUci...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXvhnlqtFf4&feature=fvw

Chris Brown, Brandon T Jackson, Vivica Fox and friends partying at Echelon 3000

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xsImthVJ3E

Stacy Dash, Cameron partying at the compound

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6XbB...eature=related

P Diddy and Jermaine Dupree at the compound for Eritrean Soccer Atlanta

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xt3gG8Tx1SA

Neyo promoting Album with Champagne Party at the MF lounge in Buckhead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YM6HQRjcUI

Gucci Mane performing at Esso.

Gucci Mane Live @ Club Esso: Birthday Bash After Party on Vimeo

Nelly performing at Echelon 3000

Echelon 3000 Presents: Nelly Live on Vimeo

Mary J. Blige performing at Echelon 3000

Mary J Blige Live @ Echelon 3000 on Vimeo

P.Diddy at the Compound "Dirty Money" Party

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuP-MWfHg8g

Common performing at the W Midtown with Biz Markee, Jazzy Pha, Fonzworth Bentley

First Friday Atlanta Presents: Common Live @ The W on Vimeo

Nas, Damien Marley, and Maxwell at Esso.
Socialite Saturdays @ Esso (Nas Damien Marley & Maxwell) on Vimeo

Fat Joe partying at Havana Club with Common performing.

Tuesdays "Members Only" @ Havana Club Featuring: Common on Vimeo

Unsigned Artist Showcase at Havannah with Drake, Travis Porter, Lloyd, Big Boi, Emmanuel Lewis, Lil Scrappy,

2010 BMI Unsigned Artist Showcase With Drake @ Havannah on Vimeo

Cameron, Waka Flocka and Allen Iverson clowin at Primal.
Primal Fridays @ Primal on Vimeo

Gabrielle Union coolin at club primal.
Primal Fridays @ Primal on Vimeo

Big Boi's Album releast party Club Echelon 3000.
Big Boi Album release Party @ Echelon 3000 on Vimeo

Rick Ross Live at the Mansion Elan

Rick Ross Live @ Mansion Elan in Atlanta, GA. on Vimeo

B.O.B performing at Club Miami

B.O.B Performs @ Club Miami on Vimeo

Nicki Manaj performing at Club Miami Atlanta

Miami: Nicki Minaj Birthday! on Vimeo

Wale at Opera

Day IV With WALE @ Opera on Vimeo

Monica performing at Opera with Missy Elliot and others

Final Monica on Vimeo

Wheww! Tired of typing so I'm going to have to leave a lot out but you get the idea.

Old 10-15-2010, 10:55 AM

1,666 posts, read 2,831,362 times
Don't forget all the celebrity performances during black pride and Atlanta annual pride. Plus BET hip hop awards.. Soul Train Awards, we have held Trumpet awards etc.. There is so much that goes on here it's ridiculous..

Old 10-15-2010, 11:20 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,099,122 times
Parties hosted by celebrities are BORING. Them making appearances do nothing for my nightlife experience and plus whenever they around; the clubs want to jack up the prices and ****.

Old 10-15-2010, 11:23 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,099,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
Does NO have this??? A big "NO"
If New Orleans had any of that....it wouldn't be New Orleans. I don't get your point.

New Orleans is one of the most unique and interesting cities in the WORLD. No matter how much you guys try and make Atlanta out to be; it can't and never will be New Orleans. While Atlanta is setting out to be the next New York or Los Angeles; New Orleans will still be one of a kind.

Old 10-15-2010, 12:41 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,388,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Parties hosted by celebrities are BORING. Them making appearances do nothing for my nightlife experience and plus whenever they around; the clubs want to jack up the prices and ****.
I understand your point jluke but for many people who's favorite artists live locally, it's absolutely fantastic.

Think about it this way, how many people pay top $ to see their favorite artists when they visit their respective cities? In Atlanta, you can pretty much party with your favorite artists practically every weekend if you so choose. Trust me, they don't always charge extra. Many artists just pop-in with surprise performances etc. That to me is a huge advantage, especially if you're into that particular genre of music/entertainment.

Old 10-15-2010, 01:16 PM

320 posts, read 714,963 times
Quote:
If New Orleans had any of that....it wouldn't be New Orleans. I don't get your point.

New Orleans is one of the most unique and interesting cities in the WORLD. No matter how much you guys try and make Atlanta out to be; it can't and never will be New Orleans. While Atlanta is setting out to be the next New York or Los Angeles; New Orleans will still be one of a kind.
Agreed

IMO Atlanta is the "IT" town of todays generation. Once it losses its luster, then what would the ATL be like in the next 20 or 30 years? New Orleans have been around for over 300 years and still continues to have a strong cultural influence. This is the only city I can think of where each neighborhood consist of a different culture, yet the majority of them are all uniquely American (Creoles, Black Indians, Cajuns, Amerindian, etc.)However, ATL is happening town of today and its a global city with a lot more job opportunities and a waaaaaaaaaay bigger metro area.

If you are a person of the Arts, History, Music, Food and culture, an into the "down-home" atmosphere, NOLA is definately for you.

If you are into the modern, trendy, upscale, more cosmopolitan atmosphere, then ATL is definately for you.

I personally would like to visit both cities, but half of my family is from NOLA. Plus, I'm more fascinated by the culture, history and uniqueness of NOLA than the ATL. Therefore, I would rather be there.

However, my wife is more cosmopolitan and loves to shop. So she would rather move to the ATL. If I wanted cosmopolitan and shopping, I might as well stay in Chicago.

Old 10-15-2010, 02:23 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,388,049 times
First off, this isn't a fair comparison (for N.O.) to begin with, however.......

This is probably the one comparison that I find almost impossible to choose which I prefer over the other as I love both for completely different reasons. Atlanta for it's faster pace and options, and New Orleans for it's more laid back vibe, but lively club/bar scene.

I can honestly say that I enjoy N.O. more. It's a much more interesting place than I've ever found Atlanta to be, but I prefer Atlanta to live many times over. As much as I enjoy Atlanta, there is nothing close to Esplanade or the Garden District here. N.O. is one of a kind.

Old 10-15-2010, 02:29 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,452,416 times
Quote:
Exactly. People actually pay $15-50 more than they would normally pay to go in the club in hopes of getting a glimpse of someone who couldn't care less that they even exist. Even if they do meet them or get a picture, they still payed $20-$70+ to stand next to somebody for 3 seconds.

People in New Orleans also tend to support local artists much more than they support mainstream artist anyway so it doesn't really make a difference. Even then this area runs back to back festivals and events usually with musical guests 9-10 months out of the year. Atlanta had been trying to lure in the Essence Festival contract for a couple of years now.

Quote:

I heard somebody once say "anything that is considered the 'something of something' is really the 'nothing of nothing'". I'm joking, but there is some truth to that statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburban_boy View Post
Agreed

IMO Atlanta is the "IT" town of todays generation. Once it losses its luster, then what would the ATL be like in the next 20 or 30 years? New Orleans have been around for over 300 years and still continues to have a strong cultural influence. This is the only city I can think of where each neighborhood consist of a different culture, yet the majority of them are all uniquely American (Creoles, Black Indians, Cajuns, Amerindian, etc.)However, ATL is happening town of today and its a global city with a lot more job opportunities and a waaaaaaaaaay bigger metro area.

If you are a person of the Arts, History, Music, Food and culture, an into the "down-home" atmosphere, NOLA is definately for you.

If you are into the modern, trendy, upscale, more cosmopolitan atmosphere, then ATL is definately for you.

I personally would like to visit both cities, but half of my family is from NOLA. Plus, I'm more fascinated by the culture, history and uniqueness of NOLA than the ATL. Therefore, I would rather be there.

However, my wife is more cosmopolitan and loves to shop. So she would rather move to the ATL. If I wanted cosmopolitan and shopping, I might as well stay in Chicago.

Old 10-15-2010, 04:25 PM

442 posts, read 824,551 times
Ok Westbank, New Orleans is better than ATL. Now can we get some non boosting comparisons?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.