Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which place is better?
Atlanta 152 53.52%
New Orleans 132 46.48%
Voters: 284. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 02:15 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,711,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
QOL is based on opinion. You can't judge the quality of a persons life based on facts and figures. I'd be happier walking the streets of NO than in the car on 285.

It's not about jobs? Google is your friend. NO wasn't the fastest growing city last year just because of Mardi Gras and Bourbon St.

Currently, Atlanta is a nudge ahead of NO in PT. Only because of volume.

Just the French Quarter? Ever heard of Magazine or Julia Streets? I didn't think so.

Wow. City Park, Audobon Park, Woldenburn Park, Louis Armstrong Park, Champions Square.

By the way, it's spelled "cemeteries".
It is opinion.I never said it was not.That was the first thing I stated!

Quote:
I'd be happier walking the streets of NO than in the car on 285
Wow what a surprise.I guss thats where everybody in Atlanta lives:In car on 285!!

I dont live anywhere near 285.As much as I hate traffic.Atlanta like many cities has a much larger suburban poulation than the core.If N.O. had half the industry Atlanta has then perhaps it would have more traffic.

Are you saying that al the rebuilding and construction and growth has nothing to do with the added jobs post Katrina?

I made a statement saying MOST art galleries are located in the French Quarter?Are they not?

I also never said they did not have parks.

Its been over 11 years since I was last in City Park and I did forget about it.So I will say that I do like City Park better than Piedmont overall but the view of the city is from Piedmont is amazing beautiful.Its just no comparison in N.O in that reagrds to views.Piedmont is definately more like a "urban park" that integrates well with the city vs City Park is like a seperate oasis.IDK im kinda torn but hey its a matter of opinion

I just don't think they compare to a park like those in Atlanta.Overall Atlanta has a better park system.Its nothing to brag about because its a small system for its size,but it has good quality ones.Piedmont example is what I was referring to mainly.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...nt_Park_04.jpg
http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/med...dmont-park.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...dmont_Park.JPG
http://thequickanddirtydirty.com/wp-...dmont-Park.jpg

Last edited by JMT; 01-07-2013 at 08:32 AM..

Old 11-28-2012, 08:42 AM

12 posts, read 17,253 times
My family's mostly in Louisiana but I have some family whove lived across the country, and Ive got a lot of family in Atlanta. Two sets of cousins, my mothers brother and sister out there with their families. Theyve been out there for like twenty years. Ive talked about the move to Atlanta a lot with them and I figure I could end up there for a while, but I don't think I'd really want to relocate there.

I've spent a lot of time in Atlanta and I like visiting a lot, there's some stuff I really look forward to when I visit.
I like the geography very much, it's woody in and out the city. There are some great places to visit in the cities. I figure they've got about the best art museums I've ever seen south of Washington. I've been cheering for the Braves and I love watching them at Turner, I been cheering for the Saints and I've seen dem beat up on the Falcons in the impressive Georgia Dome.
But there's a lot of stuff that makes Atlanta look sort of miserable for anyone from Louisiana or elsewhere. Everything is pretty new and generic looking. And beyond aesthetically it's more spread out and you've just got awful wide roads and huge parking lots everywhere that make walking around town suck. Atlanta is a lot like Houston, with the suburbs and general atmosphere of the city. But I prefer Atlanta. Ive been to Buckhead and Alpharetta and those beat the Houston suburb, feel more like little towns than feeder suburbs.
But it really is the atmosphere that's such a bummer in Atlanta. I don't think people have the same sort of joie de vivre as other places I've been. Like my family loves to get home to Louisiana for holidays and cut loose. Idk, I hate to knock the people, but what else can I say. I would definitely say that if you were in New Orleans your neighbors would be much more inclined to invite you over or simply get to know you. Atlanta's a more family oriented town and it makes the neighborhood a pretty boring place. That doesnt mean thats where you want to bring up ur family though.

Good story to illustrate the plex, I was in Atlanta when I was in high school, like sophomore year. My Uncle was having a barbeque and there was a lot of people there. I was drinking beer by then and knew how to carry myself around adults. I was polite to everybody and made good conversation, but some grown man takes my beer and scolds me. My uncle explains it to him, says I can be drinking beer. Im sober as a bird, maybe two and a half beers deep. But I was having a fine time meeting new people. Meanwhile the kids my age there were sitting around drinking cokes and not getting around at all. Idk I think I was fortunate to be in my shoes.

I'd say if you're actively interested in your community and the social it entails, New Orleans is the better choice.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:27 PM

2 posts, read 2,796 times
Default Born and Raised in the Boot, but......

Culture: NOLA (Seeing as how I am a part of that culture!)
Shopping:
Atlanta
Restaurants: New Orleans, NO DOUBT!!!!!
Economy:
Atlanta
Quality of Life: Atlanta, I love NOLA (Home) but for my living preference and all, I have to chose Atlanta
Housing costs: NOLA

Public Transportation: Atlanta
Nightlife: NOLA

Art galleries: NOLA
Weather: Toss up, this depends on how you want to live.
Parks: Toss up, they both have some great parks.
Schools:
Atlanta
Music scene: NOLA
Education: Atlanta, For higher lerning as well!!
Lifestyle: Toss up. They're different, it depends on who you are and what you prefer.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:17 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,245,372 times
I honestly believe that the spirit and culture of New Orleans would be gradually pushed to the back and forgotten, if it saw explosive growth and attained all of the things Atlanta had. I'm not saying that there isn't any room for improvement, but NOLA has its own lane and I would not want to sacrifice an ounce of its identity just to be a more polished city like Atlanta.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:21 PM

37,784 posts, read 41,454,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I honestly believe that the spirit and culture of New Orleans would be gradually pushed to the back and forgotten, if it saw explosive growth and attained all of the things Atlanta had. I'm not saying that there isn't any room for improvement, but NOLA has its own lane and I would not want to sacrifice an ounce of its identity just to be a more polished city like Atlanta.
I would have liked it if it had at least grown at a more average pace to the size of, say, St. Louis, which is a historic peer of NOLA.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:59 PM

6,840 posts, read 10,878,613 times
Atlanta.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:03 PM

16,505 posts, read 26,083,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
This. If it weren't for crooked politicians, outlandish policies, and disease, the metro would probably be the size of metro Philadelphia.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:21 AM

14,802 posts, read 17,550,171 times
I don't like either, but NOLA wins.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:10 PM

996 posts, read 1,887,528 times
Atlanta.

Old 01-09-2013, 03:06 PM

37,784 posts, read 41,454,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
This. If it weren't for crooked politicians, outlandish policies, and disease, the metro would probably be the size of metro Philadelphia.
That's about the size of Atlanta; it probably wouldn't have gotten quite big even with those factors in place. It would have made for average or slightly above average growth which might make it the size of present-day St. Louis, as I mentioned earlier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City