Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which place is better?
Atlanta 152 53.52%
New Orleans 132 46.48%
Voters: 284. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 04:35 PM

16,505 posts, read 26,083,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I don't want to come off as harsh.I can even admit that if I thought New Orleans was on the level of Atlanta in business,education,financial security and innovation,I would have moved to New Orleans long time ago.(maybe)Options are a great thing to have.

What it lackss that make a HUGE difference to me is:
*A subway or even and extensive light rail system
*better infrastructure.Roads,Sewers
*A more integrated society.
*Shopping options.From groceries to clothing to luxury retail.Shopping is not good in New Orleans
*More opportunity for professional jobs.New Orleans is a very blue collar town.A mix like Philly or Boston is better.
*Its great that GE is moving a division there but literally almost every other week a company moves divisions to Atlanta.In fact G.E. Energy is headquarters in Atlanta.The Smart Grid division also just brought 400 jobs to Atlanta.
New Orleans needs and incubator for high tech development like Georgia Tech.Places that will provide highly skilled workers.
if Im not mistaken,this was a major concern with GE moving that division to New Orleans.The state is taken on the role of recruitment for G.E.
If that was the case, New Orleans would be alot more similar to Chicago and SF.

The streetcars and bus serve New Orleans decently, with more lines along the way. The St. Charles line is slower but runs almost 24/7, the Canal St. line is faster and serves more residents, the Loyola and Riverfront lines are for tourists. North Rampart will have a line soon which will then head down St. Claude in the future. A subway wouldn't work there. Regardless of Atlanta, transit needs much more attention in New Orleans and another 3 lines would be about right for the population.

Agree 155% on roads and sewers.

New Orleans is pretty well integrated compared to major cities. I don't see an issue there.

I don't see an issue with shopping in New Orleans. There's the high end shops on Canal Place, The Riverwalk Mall is closed for construction and will reopen as a high-end outlet mall, they are also kicking out the tourist trap restaurants and bringing in more authentic eateries. There's shopping on Magazine, Royal, and N. Peters as well. I never really understand the demand for shopping from the average person. You can find anything' in most cities.

The job market is changing. This is what I'm talking about. One of the popular developers had 2500 applicants for 20 positions. People do want to be there.

Atlanta is 50 years ahead of New Orleans and 5 times larger, of course it has companies moving every week.

We have great institutions in Tulane, Loyola, and LSU in Baton Rouge. LSU is by far the most important but Gov Jindal thinks is a good idea to cut funding to LSU alone by over $600 million.

I think you are expecting a little much business wise.

Old 08-25-2013, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I was looking at the jobs and economic impact figures. Pretty drastic difference there.

I couldn't find a source that listed all of the productions in Atlanta by year, but it was the closest thing I could find. The state film commission's website doesn't break it down by city/area.
That's not what I was initally talking about but Atlanta is huge, it will produce more jobs and money. In order for New Orleans to do that they would have to make the film and production industry the first in the state.

Old 08-25-2013, 05:15 PM

37,784 posts, read 41,454,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
That's not what I was initally talking about but Atlanta is huge, it will produce more jobs and money. In order for New Orleans to do that they would have to make the film and production industry the first in the state.
Well it's not just Atlanta's size, but it's because of the presence of the media industry here in general, which pre-existed this current rush of film and TV productions.

Old 08-25-2013, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Well it's not just Atlanta's size, but it's because of the presence of the media industry here in general, which pre-existed this current rush of film and TV productions.
True. I wanted to point that out in a previous post but forgot. I think Atlanta will keep that media presence but I think New Orleans will be where more films are shot and more actors and actresses will rather live.

Old 08-25-2013, 06:06 PM

367 posts, read 988,569 times
Quote:
I don't want to come off as harsh.I can even admit that if I thought New Orleans was on the level of Atlanta in business,education,financial security and innovation,I would have moved to New Orleans long time ago.(maybe)Options are a great thing to have.

*Shopping options.From groceries to clothing to luxury retail.Shopping is not good in New Orleans
*More opportunity for professional jobs.New Orleans is a very blue collar town.A mix like Philly or Boston is better.
*Its great that GE is moving a division there but literally almost every other week a company moves divisions to Atlanta.In fact G.E. Energy is headquarters in Atlanta.The Smart Grid division also just brought 400 jobs to Atlanta.
New Orleans needs and incubator for high tech development like Georgia Tech.Places that will provide highly skilled workers.
if Im not mistaken,this was a major concern with GE moving that division to New Orleans.The state is taken on the role of recruitment for G.E.
Hmmmm so thats what people look for in a city....wonder if Nashville had these things

Well yea these things would make New Orleans twice as spectacular

Old 08-25-2013, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
True. I wanted to point that out in a previous post but forgot. I think Atlanta will keep that media presence but I think New Orleans will be where more films are shot and more actors and actresses will rather live.
Not too sure about that last part since Georgia's investing a ton in this industry (there are a couple of HUGE production facilities coming to the state) and I don't really see a mass migration of actors to either GA or LA, outside of current trends.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:05 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,061,040 times
Quote:

I think we all can agree that Atlanta is leaps and bounds ahead of New Orleans on the business front. And in the same manner no one thinks Atlanta is more cultured or unique than New Orleans.

The real conversation, in my humble opinion, is what makes a city more attractive? An ever-evolving business climate in Atlanta or one of the most unique, charming culture capitols of our country in New Orleans? All else can become really trivial really fast...

Old 08-25-2013, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
The real conversation, in my humble opinion, is what makes a city more attractive? An ever-evolving business climate in Atlanta or one of the most unique, charming culture capitols of our country in New Orleans? All else can become really trivial really fast...
This is very subjective as it depends on what one finds attractive and in what context. A college graduate or mid-level professional might find Atlanta more attractive. Someone who's more into certain cultural leisure activities would find NOLA more attractive. And then there's the physical attractiveness and both have their pros and cons there.

I think Atlanta offers a better balance when it comes to culture/recreation and business/professional pursuits, but the cultural allure of NOLA is so very strong that someone who might otherwise be more interested in professional advancement could be willing to make that a secondary priority just to experience life in NOLA.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:55 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,345,791 times
I can see myself living in Atlanta. New Orleans is a cool place to visit, but I just can't see myself living in Louisiana.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:04 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,061,040 times
Quote:
This is very subjective as it depends on what one finds attractive and in what context. A college graduate or mid-level professional might find Atlanta more attractive. Someone who's more into certain cultural leisure activities would find NOLA more attractive. And then there's the physical attractiveness and both have their pros and cons there.

I think Atlanta offers a better balance when it comes to culture/recreation and business/professional pursuits, but the cultural allure of NOLA is so very strong that someone who might otherwise be more interested in professional advancement could be willing to make that a secondary priority just to experience life in NOLA.
Absolutely spot on, except you didnt account for what NOLA's business climate is becoming and at what pace its growing. The combination of a 2nd-to-non cultural experience, year round festivals/parades/happenings all centric to aforementioned culture, AND the rapidly emerging business atmosphere is why I contend for New Orleans and even why I chose to move my family and business there recently.

I guess I'd say that Atlanta is the safer bet, but New Orleans is the better experience and, according to current rate of entreprenuerial influx, will soon give a huge payoff
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City